Exclamation New Desktop Build (preferred $500-800 budget) Help!

Hey guys,

With Christmas coming up and today being Cyber Monday I thought i'd explore my options for a new gaming rig. This would be the first desktop I've ever put together so I was looking for some help. Below are some guidelines for what I would like this desktop to be able to achieve. I strictly need just the tower. Everything else is already owned. If it makes any difference, although I play other games, this desktop will be devoted to WoW and playing on its top settings. (If possible at this price range)

Budget: $500-800 (prefer to spend the least I can)
    Resolution: 1920X1080
    Peripherals: (Already have no need to add)
    -Samsung LED 2ms Monitor
    -Razer Naga
    -Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard
    -Microsoft Headset
    -Logitech Speaker system
    Last edited by BHOutbreak; 2012-11-26 at 10:43 PM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($117.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: Silverstone PS05-B ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.84 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $738.63
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-26 18:02 EST-0500)

This will more than handle wow at max settings, and its within your budget. Wasn't sure if there is a micro center near where you live so i left that merchant out. The PSU i picked is overkill but its a great one and its on sale and cheaper than the 500w version.

If u are not using a SSD then i would get the WD Black i have listed over the caviar blue listed above.

I picked faster ram due to AMD chips scaling well when overclocked with faster RAM. If u plan on OC the system then u can pick up a cheap Air cooler such as Hyper 212 Evo for $31.
    Last edited by Jiambi; 2012-11-26 at 11:10 PM.
    My new baby
    CPU: i5-3570k @4.1 Cooler: H-100 MoBo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 RAM: 16Gig Mushkin Blackline 1600 SSD: Crucial M4 128 HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB GPU: MSI 7950 OC @ 925/1375 Case: CM Storm Trooper PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jiambi View Post
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($117.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: Silverstone PS05-B ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.84 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $738.63
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-26 18:02 EST-0500)

This will more than handle wow at max settings, and its within your budget. Wasn't sure if there is a micro center near where you live so i left that merchant out. The PSU i picked is overkill but its a great one and its on sale and cheaper than the 500w version.

If u are not using a SSD then i would get the WD Black i have listed over the caviar blue listed above.

I picked faster ram due to AMD chips scaling well when overclocked with faster RAM. If u plan on OC the system then u can pick up a cheap Air cooler such as Hyper 212 Evo for $31.
    Intel/nVidia combos are known to run WoW better. As admitted the PSU is extreme overkill for that build. Spend half and put that money into something else.

The only difference between the blue and black is an additional 3 years warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Intel/nVidia combos are known to run WoW better. As admitted the PSU is extreme overkill for that build. Spend half and put that money into something else.

The only difference between the blue and black is an additional 3 years warranty.
    I've read that before as well surfing through forums for my current computer. However, is it that significant that Jiambi's build would be worse off? (Btw Jiambi for some reason your benchmarks aren't showing up when I click the link). Btw which benchmark stats should i be paying most attention to for WoW since I do know it doesn't use physics or etc?

I helped my brother put this exact same PC together not too long ago and all he does is play wow. He had a similar budget as yours. I can tell you it runs WoW perfect fine and that is with no OC and he is using the stock cooler. Alot of people want to say that AMD sucks Intel is much better. Im not going to deny that Intel chips are better.

You need to ask yourself a few questions. You want to run wow at Ultra at 1080p? Do you have a 60htz monitor? Are you on a budget less than 1k? Then u don't need a 3770k or a 3570k. The FX-4300 will pull 60FPS in WoW and the 7850 will be more than enough GPU.

Most people like to say but intel is 20% better for only $50 more, well if ur capped at 60FPS bc of the monitor your using then that extra 20% is doing nothing. You are still only getting 60FPS.
    My new baby
    CPU: i5-3570k @4.1 Cooler: H-100 MoBo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 RAM: 16Gig Mushkin Blackline 1600 SSD: Crucial M4 128 HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB GPU: MSI 7950 OC @ 925/1375 Case: CM Storm Trooper PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post

That Intel works better with nvidia and AMD works better with AMD cards is rather a mythe.

@OP You rather aim for an Intel. The AMD FX4xxx are quadcores but they're just practically "dual-cores".

Games like WoW only makes use of two cores and a core of any intel cpu is more powerful than AMD.

About the Power supply -> Seasonic is going to be the only choice you have.

About graphics card, just take a brand with decent cooling like Asus gtx 660ti DC2T.

Personally Id go for the Asus gtx 660ti dc2t TOP because they're heavily binned and they're better for overclocking.