Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    West not interested if there is no money to profited from it
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Deleted
    I briefly browsed through the article and got the impression that it's not really about a genocide but about illegal immigrants to Thailand who got (are getting?) deported and some die at the sea.

While I don't exactly support them dying or be put in a dangerous situation, if I understood it right, it's not really a genocide. I do agree that they should be deported back to their home country however if they came there illegally or any other country that accepts them.

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    Not to be rude, but you sound sociopathic. This is a classic lack of empathy.
    I quite sure I'm not a sociopath, I care about my friends and family, just not people I don't know.
    If other human beings are being brutally murdered somewhere else in the world, we should care about that.
    I don't see why I should possibly care that people are getting murdered. It happens all the time in every nation on the planet, and will always happen. Humans are violent and nothing is going to change that. I'm just glad it isn't happening to me.
    While that doesn't necessarily mean that we can get involved and solve all conflicts around the world, we should feel obligated to do as much as we can.
    Well I think the US should stay out of other countries internal affairs, let the UN deal with it. That's one of the reasons that useless organization was made for.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    That's fine, you can stick with your anti-altruistic attitude towards the world. I will be happy to not help you when it's your family that's being persecuted to death, but of course, you wouldn't know what it's like to experience anything like that.
    I wouldn't want your help to begin with. Are you from the US? Because if you are, we would most likely both be getting persecuted together
    Don't expect myself or anyone else to conform to your sheer imbecilic, sociopathic and myopic views.
    Neither do I.
    The rest of us feel as though we have an obligation to stand up for those who are having their rights violated.
    I have extreme doubts I'm the only one who doesn't give a fuck about what happens to the people thousands of miles away in Myanmar/Darfur/Syria/Congo/anywhere else potential genocide is happening. Although I can see why someone wants to believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    That's fine, you can stick with your anti-altruistic attitude towards the world. I will be happy to not help you when it's your family that's being persecuted to death, but of course, you wouldn't know what it's like to experience anything like that.

Don't expect myself or anyone else to conform to your sheer imbecilic, sociopathic and myopic views.

The rest of us feel as though we have an obligation to stand up for those who are having their rights violated.
    It's one thing to be a sociopath, it's another to wish ill on their family...

Lots of people say "I don't care" sitting on their couch far away, but when it's in front of you, sometimes you surprise yourself and act.

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    West not interested if there is no money to profited from it
    i actually used to care a lot about these sort of things. then i got to an age where my friends and family started being sent over seas to try and 'resolve' the situations, whatever that means i don't even know any more. the hatred towards the west, the US especially, has caused me to not really stop caring. but, i no longer support intervening in any way because it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. if we send troops, we're imperialistic crusaders (which may not be too far from the truth for our govt). if we don't, then we're all heartless rich bastards, which we definately are not. right now i'd just like to see all of our troops brought home and that money be spent to try and fix the mess in this country. i feel bad for any truely innocent people who suffer, but i just cant support intervening anymore.

I don't see western "democratic" countries lining up in order to provide them an asylum and citizenship. If they don't care, why should Burma government do, or we as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    No it's not. The rest of the world has no obligation to stand up for anyone.
    Sure, bro. Next time I see you brutally beaten/raped/murdered/mugged or something I'm just gonna stand there with popcorn in my hand. Should be fun to watch!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    It's sad that this is happening.

And it's also sad there are people saying things like, 'Oh genocides, they happen all the time, no bid deal.'

These are people who are in conditions that most likely nobody on these forums have been through. It does deserve some recognition and it would be nice if something were done about besides trade sanctions on a country we barely trade with anyways.
    And with whose money? The western countries are completely broke and barely able to fund any kind of military intervention. Neither the US nor the EU has enough financial reserves to play 'big brother' right now.

Deleted
    It's depressing isn't it. This type of thing has been going for thousands of years and it will continue to for thousands more probably

This.

As an American, I want to help those who are worse off than I am. But when it all backfires and gets thrown back at us, I just have to wonder "Why did we try in the first place?"

There are enough problems in America where all of those billions and billions of dollars could be used to make things better for those that actually helped pay for those billions and billions in the first place.

Deleted
    no oil = no help

Everyone is a master of foreign policy from their desk chair.

Maybe if you plead to the rich and famous enough they will hire a private military firm instead of donating to a McCharity.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I am empathetic to their plight, there's nothing we can do about it. Since there's nothing we can actually do about it, there's no sense getting in a fuss over it for now.

The bigger issue is making itself readily known though: if you disagree with an opinion, you should be raped or murdered. You can't be altruistic and wish that kind of thing on someone else. It almost makes you as bad as the perpetrators committing the genocides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Except I'm Atheist. Black Christians was used to describe the group that are mainly being targeted, because that's who are being targeted.

As to your 'Understanding' of the situation, the Darfur genocide was the focus of the African section of my Modern Studies course. The Darfur region is predominantly populated by Black Christians, the Government of Sudan is Islamic, the Darfur region has seen a large increase in the number of rebels fighting the Government, so the Sudanese Government responded brutally. The Militia responsible for the attacks are the Janjaweed, largely composed of Arabs from the Northern half of the country.

It has nothing to do with favouring one group over the other, I'm simply pointing out the facts. No one is denying that Muslims have died in the conflict, but the largest oppressed group of this genocide are the native African Sudanese from the Darfur region.
    You're confusing Dafur for Southern Sudan, which is now independent. I think in Dafur, it was more of a conflict between the arab controlled government and the african population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    I don't see western "democratic" countries lining up in order to provide them an asylum and citizenship. If they don't care, why should Burma government do, or we as well?
    We do take people for political asylum all the time in the US.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

There's a fair number of genocides going on in the world at the moment. Were you aware of the one in Sudan at the moment?

Groups of roving Islamic militia being paid by the Government to slaughter Black Christians living in the Darfur region of the country. Thousands have been killed and tens of thousands displaced into overcrowded refugee camps.