Losing weight in reasonable time

Hi all. i am aware there are others threads like this but I'm asking for advice from my situation

I am 20 y.o. And weigh 250 pounds (I'm 5'10"). I want to lose weight, but I want to be able to see results.I know this is a lifestyle but I just want to start looking slimmer. B.c. Of work I haven't had time to exercise and started smacking too much and got in a bad eating habit but now I want to get back into the groove

I can and will exercise, that is not the problem. I have a bike, a treadmill, and some dumbbells that go up to 50 pounds that can change in increments of 5 pounds. Usually to work out I go on the treadmill for 30 mins at a time and power walk (and over the 30 min I burn around 150-160 calories). Then I either work out "triceps" or biceps with dumbbells. (triceps = 5 sets of 10, biceps = 4 sets of 25) that is one "set" for me I usually do 2 of those sets in the morning or 1 in the afternoon whenever I have time.

I only drink water. My diet consists of just lunch and dinner while being conscious of my intake. The staples of my meals are grilled chicken, sometimes in salad sometimes with rice or in a sandwich. Otherwise I have the chicken prepared baked with breadcrumbs or BBQ style. I will start to eat canned tuna too. I don't really understand the "eat protein cut carbs" people talk about s please recommend actual foods and not just generalizations.

Knowing my equipment and diet style PLEASE I beg u help me maximize my workouts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
    Hi all. i am aware there are others threads like this but I'm asking for advice from my situation

I am 20 y.o. And weigh 250 pounds (I'm 5'10"). I want to lose weight, but I want to be able to see results.I know this is a lifestyle but I just want to start looking slimmer. B.c. Of work I haven't had time to exercise and started smacking too much and got in a bad eating habit but now I want to get back into the groove

I can and will exercise, that is not the problem. I have a bike, a treadmill, and some dumbbells that go up to 50 pounds that can change in increments of 5 pounds. Usually to work out I go on the treadmill for 30 mins at a time and power walk (and over the 30 min I burn around 150-160 calories). Then I either work out "triceps" or biceps with dumbbells. (triceps = 5 sets of 10, biceps = 4 sets of 25) that is one "set" for me I usually do 2 of those sets in the morning or 1 in the afternoon whenever I have time.

I only drink water. My diet consists of just lunch and dinner while being conscious of my intake. The staples of my meals are grilled chicken, sometimes in salad sometimes with rice or in a sandwich. Otherwise I have the chicken prepared baked with breadcrumbs or BBQ style. I will start to eat canned tuna too. I don't really understand the "eat protein cut carbs" people talk about s please recommend actual foods and not just generalizations.

Knowing my equipment and diet style PLEASE I beg u help me maximize my workouts
    You can do the following exercises with your equipment
    Chest exercises: db flies, pushups, db bench press (though 50 lbs is really low for it)
    Back exercises: RDLs, bent over rows, and pullups if you have a bar or ledge anywhere
    Legs: Lunges (forward, backwards, side, walking), Bulgarian split squats, db snatch, single leg deadlifts, vertical jumps, db squats, goblet squats
    Shoulders: arnold press, shoulder press, side raises, front raises, reverse db flies, upright db row

It would be best to lift 2-3 days a week. Every time you workout do squats or lunges of some type but try and have some sort of progression. Focus on doing back exercises and not chest exercises because most people who dont workout much tend to have stronger chest muscles than back muscles (from typing and sitting forward too much). I really dont have the time to set up a routine for you but you should be able to just play around and look at videos and do something that is somewhat beneficial. Working out biceps and triceps is a waste of time for you because your goal is to lose weight and gain muscle that actually matters.

Cardio is helpful but you need to turn it up. At 250 lbs, you should be burning at least 500 calories in 30 mins while on the treadmill. Increase the incline and increase the speed. It should be hard.

You can lose the weight really fast but something you need to understand is that you will not appreciate the difference very quickly. Guys that you see who go from 250 to 200 and look ripped look that way because they were still muscular and athletic at 250 and were not overweight for an extended period of time. You will not look like a fitness model when you cut all your weight. You will probably look saggy and sort of pathetic but that is normal. It will take years to get muscular and you don't really have the equipment at your disposal to get there anyways. You need to focus on your weight loss and inches and not on how you look because if you focus on your looks you will not be happy. I went from 300 to 180 in 5 years. I stayed at 180ish for the past two years and havent gained significant amounts of muscle but my body looks a lot more toned and muscular simply because my body has become tighter. Initially when I lost weight, my chest, stomach, and as sagged. It will take time for you to really see the differences.

just fast for like 60 days
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Cut down on Cals and Salts and that will make a big diffrence to.
    You said you eat rice, normal white rice isn't all that healthy, better eat brown rice. Sandwiches also consist off some not needed fats, sugars etc try to find something you can change it with healthy biscuits.

bnet: Adimaru #2805

I am 20 y.o. And weigh 250 pounds (I'm 5'10"). I want to lose weight, but I want to be able to see results.I know this is a lifestyle but I just want to start looking slimmer.The key to setting weight loss goals is to follow the standard of goal setting. It needs to be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and tangible. Your first step is determining if you really need to lose weight.

15+ Year Old Account
    key bits of advice i would transfer from my recent healthy lifestyle change:

Set a Goal, decide how much you would like to weigh, don't just say that you want to lose weight, set a target, then work out an acceptable time frame to get there, a lot of people say loosing more than 2lbs a week is going too fast, others say that with very crazy diets they lose lots more than that in a week without side effects - but be wary, if you're a bigger person, rather than just being a little over weight, if you lose it too fast you'll just have saggy skin, which can be very off putting - you put all this effort into losing weight but still don't look like a greek statue etc etc - just something to be wary of.

Try to track your calories in a written format, be it on paper, on a website or on a phone app (I use MyFitnessPal - both app and site) it keeps my calories very accurate - a PT friend of mine says that without such apps people that just add the calories up in their head tend to eat 30-40% more calories than they think they do, which could be putting you over your BMR depending how much of a deficit you're eating.

Also - make a plan for when you reach your target, don't get there and say "right i've lost weight, I can eat what I want again now" because you'll put it all back on in no time. try to figure out in advance how many calories a day you should be eating once you're at your target weight, possibly go as far as create a 2 week menu and stick to that for those two weeks and see how that has affected your weight etc.

Before long you will most probably need heavier weights, the ones you are using will become too light before long, so think about investing in something heavier, a guy I train with swears by kettle bell work outs, can cover most of the bases with those or dumbells.

You've made a step in the right direction squire, keep to your guns! Best of luck to you!

The key is the choice to change your lifestyle for a healthier one, stick to your resolve!

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post

Cardio is helpful but you need to turn it up. At 250 lbs, you should be burning at least 500 calories in 30 mins while on the treadmill. Increase the incline and increase the speed. It should be hard.
    This. At the end of your workout you should barely be able to move. Your want to be sore and EXHAUSTED! I see most overweight people at the gym just plodding along and then tell me I am lucky I am in good shape. This is after seven miles on the treadmill and 200 flights of stairs. If you want to get in shape you have to work for it.

If you're serious about losing weight and getting in shape hire a personal trainer. Even if you only get her once a week and then workout by yourself for the rest of the week. Also you should be eating three solid meals a day with light and healthy snacks in between. Make sure you have at LEAST six hours of consecutive sleep each night. (Yes this does effect your weight)

The most important thing is to work your ass off. Put your heart in the 80-90% range and keep it there for your entire workout. Run til you puke. In short suck it up because its suppose to be hard.

It is simple math. I use this much energy a day so I need to consume less energy(Calories) than I use in order to lose weight.
    Count the calories do the math and you will lose weight. They have many sites on the web or apps for your phone.

Here's what I have to share:

You have to WANT the change for yourself. You have to want it as bad as you want to sleep, or eat. You won't be successful until you are dedicated to it. Tabata workouts are great for getting into shape, but they are intense. Tabata workouts can be applied to squats, pushups, sprints, any workout you can think of. You just need to want it, and when you do, you'll get there.

Diet wise: Oatmeal, and slow burning carbohydrates help you feel more full, longer, and when you do cardio, you'll have the energy to go the distance. Lots of lean protein, turkey, lean protein shakes, fish. Also, add vinegar to your salads if you plan on eating salad. It helps deliver fat and sugar faster and more efficient for digestion.

15+ Year Old Account
    yeh diet is the biggest key to losing weight, probably something in the 70:30 kinda range - the cardio just increases that.

1 pound is something like 3500 kCal (IIRC) so if you drop 500 Calories from your diet a week you'll lose a pound a week. most people say more than 2 pounds a week is excessive unless you're backed by a profession nutrition expert or something. I'm was aiming for 1kg a week (2 pounds roughly) but put the calories up a bit because i was doing some bits and bobs wrong.

My suggestion is going to probably be a little different than the rest you get here. But you currently only eat lunch / dinner, so I really only have one thing to say. Intermittent fasting. You are literally already doing it, so it obviously fits your lifestyle.

Here are 2 links. They are both based off Martin Berkhan's Leangains program, with one being Martin's actual personal site. Between the 2 sites there will easily be enough information to answer any single question you would ever have.

Leangains.com

Rippedbody.jp

Deleted
    treadmills are shit full stop. Go running properly for a true burn. Swimming is a fantastic calorie burner as well as a rowing machine. Never use a treadmill for a workout unless it is at a very high incline to force your muscles to work.

However doing said exercises alone is not enough. Get squatting for maximum effect, the build of muscle will cause calories to burn faster as well so do not neglect weights. Clean and press is a great exercise as well as dead-lifting since they use almost all the bodies muscles. Bench pressing is good for a more isolated workout as well for upper body alone. Ignore the silly dumbells for isolated muscles at the moment it is not worth it your body is not used to it and the gains will be pathetic for now. Get the whole body working for at least 6 months then isolate the muscle groups afterwards. Fuck the diet at the moment and get your workout regime sorted first - for now as long as its high in protein and healthy enough carbs you will be fine (give it a few weeks then sort out the diet) changing too much too fast will distort your metabolism too much and could cause increased fatigue too quickly and ruin workouts before they even begin.

Simple program to follow for 6 weeks
    - 30 minute run warm-up
    - Full body stretch
    - 5 x 10 reps squats (comfortable weight say 40-50kgs)
    - 5 x 10 reps dead lift (same weight)
    - 5 x 10 reps bench press (same weight)
    - 5 x 10 reps assisted pull ups wide grip
    - 5 x 10 reps (15-20 kgs)

increase each weight moderately (2.5-5kgs) each week if you can but don't ever make it become a strain to do the exercises on the first day.

Do this 5 days a week for 6 weeks (you will feel it on days 4 and 5 first 3 should be reasonably easy) this will get your whole body worked out and the burn of calories will come as well with everything being worked out. DO NOT do isolated exercises (dumbell curls/triceps/dumbell presses) they are not effective until your body gets "going". Said exercises are for those who are working out after a long time in the gym and are starting to further progress to more intense regimes (like isolating body parts each day ie monday chest, tuesday legs wednesday back, etc etc) is a huge beginners mistake to do this and the results they see are shit, I see people do this all the time when they join my gym and it makes me so frustrated when some 16-20 y/os come in and do dumbells and then go home. They quit after 3-4 weeks since they gained feck all.

for the record Squats and/or Deadlifts are the gods for gaining muscle in the gym, they stimulate the most of HgH (human growth hormone) which is how you will gain muscle and lose fat/calories the fastest.
    tired atm but will give dietry advice soon enough - basically you HAVE to be eating at regular intervals 6-8 meals a day however not big ones (small chicken fillets, tins of tuna, wholemeal bread etc ) this keeps your metabolism going all the time so you are constantly burning something, in other words you eat a big meal and fast your body will store the excess nutrients for those fasts - DO NOT fast for long periods and bulk eat - DO NOT eat small and fast long periods (you will lose energy and not be able to work out efficiently)
    Last edited by mmoc95ad36e8b5; 2012-12-03 at 09:43 AM.