Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    I think Town Drunk is getting a bit too much flak for this one.



    There's a massive difference between finding new land to settle and control (key word: resources) and finally proving the general acceptance that earth isn't the only place life can pop up. Not only is it widely accepted and assumed, at this point, that life is capable of existing on other planets (at least by those of scientific inclination) but what exactly is finding bacteria on Mars going to do for us? I'm not saying this to say we shouldn't explore mars, or moons like Europa; but in real terms what is discovering a strain of bacteria in either of those places going to do for us?

    Yeah, sure, it's going to prove we were right that life is capable of sprouting up somewhere else. And?
    Allow me to give you a couple of simple reasons:

    1) Studying alien life forms can help us better understand how life survived in harsher climates than ours, this understanding is necessary for manned space missions.

    2) The resources on earth are limited and being used exponentially faster than they can be replenished. Look up Indium, we are almost out of it and it is used in pretty much anything with a screen on it. Same goes for many other rare elements.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 10:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandamists View Post
    I didn't notice this, the Moon was driven because the Russians had launched Sputnik. Which of course, was a holo'd out missile casing. As Neil DeGrasse Tyson has pointed out: NASA was founded on a fear factor that Russia would control high-ground. Once we landed on the Moon, and we saw Russia wasn't ready, we stopped going. We had no propulsion that forced us to go, but... don't be surprised if another is announced in 2013

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 12:07 AM ----------



    Homo-sapiens (And the Homo Genus overall) are both very young compared to other species AND the Earth (No shit) overall. If there is intelligent life on another planet, it's likely older than us, not for sure of course.
    I disagree with the statement about homo-sapiens. Our understanding of life is limited by the fact that we only ever come across carbon based life forms. There is no way science can tell us what forms life could take elsewhere in the universe, let aside how old or young it is. Up until curiosity we were pretty sure the radiation levels on mars were fatal to human beings and this is Mars, the planet we arguable no the most about, besides our own of course. It's like how we used to think that light was a wave and one day we learn it was comprised of particles as well and that changed our understanding of light. Our knowledge is very very limited.
    Last edited by igame; 2012-11-27 at 10:49 PM.

  2. #42
    Fluffy Kitten Dacien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9,069
    Quote Originally Posted by blabber View Post
    What could go wrong? how many of you played Halo Combat Evolved when it came out.. ...Flood...
    Exactly. In the interest of Head-in-the-Sandism, we should refrain from dangerous "exploration", as it's being put.


    I kid of course, exciting discoveries every day. Yay for discovery!

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Because its (maybe) there?
    This nails it, really. Scientists (for the most part) don't really study things because they're looking for an application, they do it just to know. The applications are why people are actually willing to pay them though!

  4. #44
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Californa
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Allow me to give you a couple of simple reasons:

    1) Studying alien life forms can help us better understand how life survived in harsher climates than ours, this understanding is necessary for manned space missions.

    2) The resources on earth are limited and being used exponentially faster than they can be replenished. Look up Indium, we are almost out of it and it is used in pretty much anything with a screen on it. Same goes for many other rare elements.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 10:47 PM ----------



    I disagree with the statement about homo-sapiens. Our understanding of life is limited by the fact that we only ever come across carbon based life forms. There is no way science can tell us what forms life could take elsewhere in the universe, let aside how old or young it is. Up until curiosity we were pretty sure the radiation levels on mars were fatal to human beings and this is Mars, the planet we arguable no the most about, besides our own of course. It's like how we used to think that light was a wave and one day we learn it was comprised of particles as well and that changed our understanding of light. Our knowledge is very very limited.
    Well, there is no denying the Homo genus is young as well as homo-sapiens, compared to other lifeforms on Earth we're very young.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  6. #46
    Imagine a Type II civilization.....wow!

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    The why-bother movement, the bane of mankind.
    You could say the same thing about ambition, which has lead to untold millions of human deaths.

  8. #48
    Epic! Sayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scrubbity Burrow
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Up until curiosity we were pretty sure the radiation levels on mars were fatal to human beings and this is Mars, the planet we arguable no the most about, besides our own of course.
    Unless some media outlet totally botched the details of that story, I don't see where anyone thought radiation exposure on Mars would be fatal to astronauts. Even if the RAD instrument on Curiosity detected lower-than-expected levels of radiation, you can still find technical assessments of exposure risks to astronauts in NASA literature which put a value of 400mSv on an 18-month surface stay (and those values date back several years at the least -- also worth noting I can find very similar numbers going back two decades). That's comparable to the upper end of a year spent aboard the International Space Station.

    It's the trip to and from Mars that puts astronauts at the greatest risk of exposure. Even with fluctuations in solar activity taken into account, the overall estimates for a round trip to Mars (again, including a year and a half spent on the surface) add up to 1/4 of the total lifetime exposure limit NASA requires for astronauts. I don't think our understanding in this regard is nearly as limited as you wish to suggest.

  9. #49
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Drunk View Post
    You make no sense at ALL ! The only reason America was ever discovered had nothing to do with PURE exploration it was to find a faster more lucrative trade route to India it was motivated by greed ..and also finding new land and new resources is a lot different and a lot more important then finding fossilized 1 cell martians.

    Now exploring to find intelligent life that is a noble en devour
    Because the discovery of life beyond earth, whether single celled or intelligent would possibly provide greater clues and better understanding of the mechanisms of life. Such knowledge has great potential in better understanding of our own biology, which may (or may not, but who knows) lead to better medical advances.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  10. #50
    Herald of the Titans Ave07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,888
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Imagine a Type II civilization.....wow!
    IRL mass relays? I hope so!


  11. #51
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    IRL mass relays? I hope so!

    So long as they aren't created by a synthetic race of murderous space squids . . .

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 12:43 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This nails it, really. Scientists (for the most part) don't really study things because they're looking for an application, they do it just to know. The applications are why people are actually willing to pay them though!
    And almost every discovery has had some application derived from it, even if such applications weren't the intent of the inquiry.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    2) The resources on earth are limited and being used exponentially faster than they can be replenished. Look up Indium, we are almost out of it and it is used in pretty much anything with a screen on it. Same goes for many other rare elements.
    I've heard or read nothing of this kind, and atleast a quick look up from Wikipedia suggests indium (and most likely other rare elemens as well) is still plentiful. Because the west outsourced most of it's rare earth mining to China, most of the world's reserves are probably still untapped. By the time we actually start running out of anything, recycling methods and / or alternate materials have developed far enough to ensure it's not going to become an issue.

    I really, really doubt we'll be doing any kind of extraterrestrial mining within.. dunno, the next few hundred years.

  13. #53
    Epic! Nyxxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Drunk View Post
    I still don't know how they pitched going to the moon honestly . I could see if it had resources of any kind but just to take a walk?
    Its so Neil and Buzz could check out that Autobot ship that crashed there of course! Everyone knows that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crym View Post
    Spoiler: The reason Garrosh is defeated is because, just when he's being attacked, Malchezaar pops out of a portal, yells "yoink!", and takes his weapon away.
    Armory

  14. #54
    The Lightbringer Seezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Capua
    Posts
    3,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Drunk View Post
    I have never understood why people want to find life on mars anyways ? We know it will be simple life like 1 cell bacteria ..etc etc ...is it to disprove the creationists ? Those people don't believe in that anyways so why are they so psyched to find life on Mars ?
    Because human beings want to know about everything. Right now our limits are with Mars. In the future they are going to launch a vehicle to one of Saturns moon that scientist have found ice and have a probe melt through the ice's surface and swim around to see what is in there.

    And 12,000 years into the future when we can send ppl further and further in space, we'll do that. It has nothing to do with "Disproving creationists". That would be pretty ignorant to think that way. Scientists hunger for new discoveries. And Curiosity isn't on mars to only search for life. It is there so we can find more out about the planet. They're analyzing everything. An example"

    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ms.../pia16573.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it.

  15. #55
    Immortal Manakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cambridge!
    Posts
    7,544
    The way i see it, the universe is massive. Its unimaginable in size and there are people attempting to disprove theres life out there, im willing to bet everything we own there is life out there somewhere.

    Will we see it this generation, or perhaps in 10,000 generations who knows. But we are only alive and well due to chance, why cant anything else exist due to that?

    Hopefully whenever we do make contact/ receive contact with another species they wont destroy us like barbarians...

    But i seriously doubt we'll ever get boots on mars within the next 50-100 years, tech constraints and all...

  16. #56
    I'm more curious about them finding new metals or other elements. Though I'm guessing curiosity can't really do any digging. Maybe they will send a robot that can take some samples with a deep bore.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    The way i see it, the universe is massive. Its unimaginable in size and there are people attempting to disprove theres life out there, im willing to bet everything we own there is life out there somewhere.

    Will we see it this generation, or perhaps in 10,000 generations who knows. But we are only alive and well due to chance, why cant anything else exist due to that?

    Hopefully whenever we do make contact/ receive contact with another species they wont destroy us like barbarians...

    But i seriously doubt we'll ever get boots on mars within the next 50-100 years, tech constraints and all...
    There are no significant tech constraints to put people on Mars. Taking them off it is another issue altogether. Even then, if there was significant political will to do so, it could be done, but in our age of political prostitution and pandering to the masses, its going to be a difficult affair.

    And yeah, while there are uncountable planets out there, until we find one single instance of life outside of our planet, its a rather significant leap of logic to assume that life exists elsewhere.

    However, once we have a single instance of life existing outside of our planet, the likelihood of life existing elsewhere in the universe (and by proxy, evolved life) increases tremendously.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2012-12-10 at 12:23 PM.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    I'm more curious about them finding new metals or other elements. Though I'm guessing curiosity can't really do any digging. Maybe they will send a robot that can take some samples with a deep bore.
    Not a physicist, but as far as my knowledge goes, we aren't going to find any new elements. Any undiscovered elements would be extremely unstable and would have a half-life far shorter than the lifespan of the planet, and as such would have decayed into lighter, known elements a long time ago. Most (read: all) new elements nowadays are elements predicted by the periodic table that we simply haven't been able to synthesize yet, and when we do they only exist for a few minutes or even seconds.

  19. #59
    Old God apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    10,276
    You can be amazed where life can live, some live bye a volcano living of the heat that they provide(I remember writing something about this on a standardized test and the eat the shit up).
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  20. #60
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    Because, it's part of modern (and past, I guess) society's lore and culture to want to find out; it's practically hard wired into us to NEED to know. That, and I REALLY want to go "nenner-nenner, haha, you lose," to Creationists, yes.
    Real mature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •