Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Whats going to be the top 3 solo classes in 5.1?

Just trying to get an idea of what to make my free 80 into, that will be turned to the guy that solos raids (I'll still group though).

I know DKs have always been #1. Hunters were #2, but they've been (from what I've heard from those on PTR) been badly nerfed. And I guess hunters always get nerfed post expansion release and become one of the least played classes. What will the new #2 soloer be? I know the majority say #3 is a tank paladin, so will that be moved up to #2?

Currently have a level 90 shaman, but I only use him for PvP. And I have a level 85 priest, and that is 100% group (he is already in queue to join a raid guild when he gets to level 90). So I just want something that isn't a DK that can solo fairly well. DKs can solo some cata raids, but I don't enjoy them. Hunters could too and maybe still will, but if not the next patch, my friend said eventually hunters will suck like usual. His main was a hunter, but he got annoyed that blizzard always nerfed them to uselessness and didn't know what to do with them. Which is a shame, because hunters look like a fun class.

So come 5.1...what will the new #2 and #3 solo classes be for those that have played on the PTR server?

Hunters are pretty bad at a lot of the content because any boss that has annoying mechanics that they don't do to the tank(impale on Marrowgar, MC on Kael'thas, freeze on Kel'thuzad) will be cast on the Hunter if they have a pet out(and if they don't... what's the point in using a Hunter?).

Brewmaster Monks are probably up there in the top three with DKs and Paladins, for largely the same reason DKs and Paladins are so good. Decent damage and great survivability.

I doubt much will change in 5.1, DKs have and probably always will be the best class to solo on. Outside of that pick anything really, preferably something with a tank or pet spec though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Hunters are pretty bad at a lot of the content because any boss that has annoying mechanics that they don't do to the tank(impale on Marrowgar, MC on Kael'thas, freeze on Kel'thuzad) will be cast on the Hunter if they have a pet out(and if they don't... what's the point in using a Hunter?).
    Funny you mention three bosses that Hunters had no problem figuring out tricks to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    Funny you mention three bosses that Hunters had no problem figuring out tricks to beat.
    That's... kind of the point. He's asking about the best classes to solo old raids with, and Hunters(and Warlocks, to a lesser extent, though they're not nearly as boned without their pet, especially if they spec into it) have to "figure out" how to beat fights that other classes just stand in one place and blow up.

Honestly, though, it's kind of a silly and pointless question. After the three high-damage, high-self healing tank specs(Brewmaster, Blood, Prot Paladins), it's really impossible to say what is "best" because some classes have a hard time with some fights and other classes have a hard time with others.

Dks are n1 as always. Lock and hunter are also good. Paladins, warriors and druids are not very reliable for soloing the more challenging stuff. No idea if monks are any good.

When it comes to good old fashioned solo'ing, nothing currently will beat a blood dk or brewmaster monk. Both are excellent choices.

Hunters, when played correctly, are also extremely good at solo'ing although some mechanics have to be cheesed because of the pet issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    That's... kind of the point. He's asking about the best classes to solo old raids with, and Hunters(and Warlocks, to a lesser extent, though they're not nearly as boned without their pet, especially if they spec into it) have to "figure out" how to beat fights that other classes just stand in one place and blow up.
    Yeah, but the thing is any encounter that's trivialized enough that the strat is 'stand in one place and blow it up' is really going to be pretty irrelevant to 'what's the best soloing class'. Hunters have ranged skills (and other tricks) that tanks lack, they have a tank, which most other dps lack, and worst-case-scenario, they have to be smart and figure out some way around having a tank, tankhealer, and ranged dps as their soloing class.

ETA: I'm really unclear what upcoming nerfs the OP is talking about that'll cripple Hunters' soloing abilities, or really any time in WoW that hunters have been "nerfed to uselessness". I think your friend is just bad.
    Last edited by Mnevis; 2012-11-27 at 07:02 AM.

As an enhancement shaman, I gotta say, our toolkit has made us pretty good soloers again. Wolves do excellent self-healing, the Healing Storm glyph gives us an additional boost to healing, and there's a variety of talents that make for good soloing tools. Primal Elementalist gives us stronger elementals as controllable pets, opening up an assortment of additional abilities to use, such as DOTs, AOE, stun, taunt, even a straight-up damage or survivability buff. Stormlash, Ascendance, and Bloodlust also give us a great burst, something I have never seen in my time playing.

I know you've already got a shaman to 90, but give it a shot when you have a chance. I know my primary activity from 5.1 forward is going to be figuring out how to solo more stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Enhance has been pretty decent since Wrath talents gave us Maelstrom Weapon. I remember when that pre-expansion patch came out Onyxia went from Impossible for me (I had tried), to pretty easy, and I went around soloing Fel Reavers for payback.

Trouble is, there's stuff that hits just too damn hard for a dps to facetank it, even if they can self-heal quite a bit.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have done some soloing on Shaman. And, I probably need to learn, but I PvP with him better than PvE.

I still having trouble deciding between Paladin/Hunter though. On the plus side of paladin, I can tank in groups if I want to do that. And I like that they have heals. But, hunters look rather fun too...though not having their pet for some fights seems a bit weird. Too bad I can't make two level 80s :P

Death Knights.

Monks.

Hunters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

DKs/Hunters/Paladins will probably always be the best by far.

Hunters are incredible solo'ers, IDK what you guys are going on about. Pets are a benefit, not a detriment.

10+ Year Old Account
    #1 Blood DK
    #2 A good hunter
    #3 Prot Pally

Deleted
    Thanks to Second Wind Talent warriors can catch up on old content rather easily.

Priests!!! XD

DK, Druid, Hunter

I've been hearing good things about brewmaster monks but have yet to try one out. Dunno how prot paladin compares to guardian, especially with HotW making ranged fights somewhat trivial for druids.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 04:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by klausistklaus View Post
    Thanks to Second Wind Talent warriors can catch up on old content rather easily.
    It's helpful but prot warriors aren't going to be soloing ICC stuff anytime soon, whereas nearly every class mentioned has killed a boss at 85.

Edit: Well I'll be damned, a prot warrior did 10 man Marrowgar pre-5.0 patch but not seeing anything else of ICC Prot solo pre-5.0
    Last edited by Trubo; 2012-11-27 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendayn View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have done some soloing on Shaman. And, I probably need to learn, but I PvP with him better than PvE.

I still having trouble deciding between Paladin/Hunter though. On the plus side of paladin, I can tank in groups if I want to do that. And I like that they have heals. But, hunters look rather fun too...though not having their pet for some fights seems a bit weird. Too bad I can't make two level 80s :P
    Yeah just don't use your free levels on a DK, that would be such a waste (they already get so many free levels), but you can't go wrong with either the pally or hunter. I might lean towards the pally only because it gives you the option to tank or heal but hunters can be fun.

That is a personal choice.