Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I accidentally fell asleep on a Mexican family's couch when my friend gave me bad directions to his new apartment. Should I have been executed?
    No, but thats a pretty dumb thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    That actually is legal here in texas, from what I just read of the Texas Castle law.

Should make it more clear: using deadly force when someone is breaking and entering your home
    Yeah, it's legal in most states with a Castle Doctrine. There really ought to be more that attaches good faith to the self defense argument.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thrive View Post
    Everybody does dumb things. People don't deserve to be killed for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    You are sensationalizing.
    You're making lies up to rationalise a brutal murder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    See all you know, he dragged her away.

So, she tumbles down the stairs, dead more than likely from the initial wounds, or soon to be. Not moving much but still not dead, drags her away from the stairs in case there are more people. Realizes she is still not dead, and pulls the trigger. Because even though she might not make a move RIGHT THEN. Doesn't mean she won't make a move AS SOON as he turns his back.

You act like he stood over her laughing and smiling. You are sensationalizing.
    and you are still not allowed to kill someone because of FUTURE POTENTIAL. It must be an immediate threat. What you just suggested would be a future threat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I accidentally fell asleep on a Mexican family's couch when my friend gave me bad directions to his new apartment. Should I have been executed?
    You won't have deserved it, but you shouldn't be surprised if you were chased out of the house at gunpoint.
    A bunch of teens rummaging around inside your home is a different story, they weren't there by accident. The man didn't exactly find them sleeping on his couch.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    It all sounds a little bit weird if you ask me.

Why would the girl stroll into view after she just heard 2 gunshots and probably a lot of other noise, screams, falling etc. Then she laughed at him when his gun jammed, when she had already been shot once? They were either high on drugs or this is some strange story that he has come up with.

It says "Minnesota law allows people to use deadly force when protecting their homes" So it doesn't matter if she was a threat or not. She shouldn't have been there. Of course murder is the last resort, you could try to warn them off by making it obvious you have a gun. If they are unarmed the chances are they will make a swift exit. If not I think it'll be pretty obvious they are a threat and can expect to be shot at. Being shot and immobilsed and then being shot in the face though...that's taking it too far.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    So you think it is okay to murder someone for robbing you.
    Yes, I do. If you rob someone I believe you're at the mercy of the robbed's moral code. I wouldn't do it, I couldn't kill a person. But I believe if somebody feels so violated in that moment they should be excused for killing their robber. Again, it's fucking disgusting those robbers have a memorial page on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Sast View Post
    It says "Minnesota law allows people to use deadly force when protecting their homes" So it doesn't matter if she was a threat or not.
    No, as has been posted Minnesota law imposes a duty to retreat even inside your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin View Post
    Yes, I do. If you rob someone I believe you're at the mercy of the robbed's moral code. I wouldn't do it, I couldn't kill a person. But I believe if somebody feels so violated in that moment they should be excused for killing their robber. Again, it's fucking disgusting those robbers have a memorial page on facebook.
    So if someone had a knife, you shot then im both knees then their chest, so they are on the ground, cant move, can't do anything but whimper in pain and bleed, it is ok for you to shoot them in their head?

I'd have to agree with this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    His kill wasn't.
    Depends on the state's laws. Some states allow you to kill people for basically stepping inside of your house. I don't know about Minnesota, but here he would have be within his legal rights. His only mistake would have been not immediately notifying the authorities. You can try to change the law, but you can't punish people who didn't break any existing laws just because what they did was wrong.

But if you're just saying that what he did was illegal in Minnesota, then I can't really argue against you on that. I know almost nothing about the place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive View Post
    It was kinda funny actually. My buddy was giving me a ride to my high school job early one morning so my mom was dropping me off at his apartment on her way to work. I called him and he was half asleep telling me it was the door all the way on the right on the first floor. Unfortunately there were two identical buildings. I saw a guy go in the front door and asked him if his room mate just came in. He said ya so I just headed in and laid down on the couch since it was like 6:45 and we didn't have to be at work till 8. There were a bunch of those catholic candles on a shelf so I thought maybe his room mate was catholic and no one told me. Eventually I wake up to this dude poking me and his wife standing behind him looking all scared saying "Dude, what are you doing?" So I picked up my backpack and my huge lacrosse gear bag and found the right apartment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Clear case of murder here. Still fail to see how anyone could think executing people from point black because they tried to rob a house is a good thing to do.

You don't use lethal force unless your percieve that there is a real threat to your own life, that sums that up. He could have probably chased them off easily enough, instead, maybe because of being overly affraid, he killed them. The man belongs in jail.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    even police arent allowed to do that afaik.
    Police can easily work around that rule by yelling "IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US" before they shoot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Depends on the state's laws. Some states allow you to kill people for basically stepping inside of your house. I don't know about Minnesota, but here he would have be within his legal rights. His only mistake would have been not immediately notifying the authorities. You can try to change the law, but you can't punish people who didn't break any existing laws just because what they did was wrong.

But if you're just saying that what he did was illegal in Minnesota, then I can't really argue against you on that. I know almost nothing about the place.
    I think the difference is that it is justifiable to kill the criminal IN THE ACT. However, once the act os done, whether it is from the criminal escaping or he criminal is dead from the initial shots or is somehow unable to do anything threatening, thats where the law stops.

Deleted
    Again, it's fucking disgusting those robbers have a memorial page on facebook.
    All of their life consist of breaking into a house once. They did no other good or bad things or have any friends of family that care about them. All of their existance is defined by being robbers. Why would anyone make a memorial page for ROBBERS.

I'm not aware of any state laws that allow you to murder someone inside your house who is already wounded and unable to hurt you or your family. Please cite them for me.

Depends on the state's laws.
    No, no it doesn't. There are no jurisdictions in the entire civilised world where it is okay to murder someone who you have already incapacitated. This kind of misunderstanding is what perpetuates these kind of unlawful behaviour, like the salesperson who was killed by a bullet in his back in Florida.

but you can't punish people who didn't break any existing laws just because what they did was wrong.
    He committed two murders. Last I checked, murder is illegal in the entirely of the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    All of their life consist of breaking into a house once. They did no other good or bad things or have any friends of family that care about them. All of their existance is defined by being robbers. Why would anyone make a memorial page for ROBBERS.
    Idk, tbh these memorials always seem fake to me anyway, and the fact that this people died partially for their own fault makes it worse.