10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kjcasey View Post
    Would you say that had they killed him for a few personal things? Because in most home invasions the home owner dies! People are getting smarter they are sick and tired of criminals.
    Oh? And do you have a source for statement?
    Obviously I would be singing a different tune if the situation was entirely different. But it wasn't. None of the information we have available (or that I have read anyway) has any mention of the teens carrying a weapon. This was excessive force, plain and simple. The whole "shoot first, ask later" mentality is asinine. We should be allowed to kill someone because he or she might maybe possibly feasibly have a weapon that we don't know of? If he truly feared for his life he should have confronted them. He had the upper hand already. He had the weapon. The element of surprise. But he couldn't be bothered to take the seconds it would have taken to assess the situation properly? He shot him the moment he came into view, then proceeded to EXECUTE him after tumbled down the stairs. Tell me, sir. At what point was he a threat?
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2012-11-27 at 08:36 PM.

Going to call natural selection on this one, the kids should have been faster or smarter, and the man was past his prime. Nothing was lost and maybe the parents will be better about raising children, or just not do it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Taking this story at face value: Two murder charges. Somebody who you've already shot once and falls down a flight of stairs isn't going to be a threat. Executing somebody you've already shot several times because they laughed at your gun jamming is also reprehensible.

Analyzing the story: Something seems fishy. Gunshots are fucking loud, why would the girl come down the stairs after hearing the gunshot?
    Going by the story, and yes it seems to me that something isn't quite right there as well, I could see the girl coming to find out what happened after hearing it from another part of the house. It wasn't exactly a big gun, and if there were enough thick walls in between she may not have clicked that it was a rifle (although unlikely). I think the more likely reason was that she wasn't particularly bright, or that she was distressed about the possibility of him being harmed and rushing to help him.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    old man who people didn't really like and was suspicious off kills two teens in cold blood after they were incapacitated. He's a mental case that needs to be locked away in a centre.
    There are people who do not like me and im sure there are some who think im suspicious too for who knows what, doesn't mean Im a mental case when an unusual situation presents itself. I personally do not know how I would act after I shot them, because I for sure would have shot them first to protect my family. You do not always know what you will do in certain situations when its not something you've prepared for or possibly risk death.

Morrison County sheriff's office has for a break-in at the home was for one on Oct. 27. It shows Byron Smith reported losing cash and gold coins worth $9,200, plus two guns worth $200 each, photo equipment worth more than $3,000 and a ring worth $300.
    Did you miss this part of the article? He had guns stolen. How was he to know that the people who had stolen his guns weren't back again?

The whole debate, well for the most part, is not the initial shooting but the "execution" of them afterwards. Do you think he had any right to shoot the invaders in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Screw the money - My lifes on the bet. How would I know these aren't some murderes breaking in my house equipped with weapons? I wouldn't take the chances, oh just some teenager that broke into my house at age 65 myself and think - It's fine, I'll yell at them a bit and lead them to the door. That's not what would've happend. If the old man wouldn't have picked up a weapon to scare them, those two would most likely have hurt him, push'd him or something. Self defense is self defense. Even if it is against teenagers. Not saying that the man did the right choices, but it's hard to make those choices right as the scenario would depend on those happenings.

Do you think the teens would've run out of the house if he didn't show up with a gun shoting them? Would they push him, hit him? Would they maybe even kill him? Where they influenced by alcohol? Drugs? What? Did the teenager have weapons? What are they breaking into his house for? There's so many possiblites - Regardless of them, you're ending up making a mistake. Let's say we come to the possiblity - He goes without a weapon and confronts them, they're influenced with drugs and alkohol and try to somehow attack him. Scenario would be - teenager broke into a seniors house and killed him - Now then you would say - He should've taken proper mesurements. Confront them with weapons etc, call the police w/e.

We're talking about lifes. Always sad to that lifes go away but don't take one part of the case. It's not about the money, it's about the lifes. We don't know what would've happend if he wouldn't have confronted them with a gun. Some things can't be taken by chances. Even having the gun pointed at them. How could a man at age 60-70 think that they didn't have any guns, or knives? He at that age is slow and could've been surprised easily.
    If he had shot them and killed them without any intermediate event where they were incapacitated then it would be fine. But in this case, he shot a guy in the face after he had just fallen down a flight of stairs after being shot, then waited around for the girl to approach and did something similar with her.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like many have said, they deserved to be shot.

The execution was too lenient. I wouldn't have shot them point blank in the face, I would let them bleed out for a while before calling authorities. He did them a favor by executing them, had it been me, they would be screaming and crying while I watched them bleed. They got what they deserved.

We need more natural selection in this world. Humans are disgusting creatures that have little intrinsic value in my opinion. We don't live in harmony with the planet, we are parasites. Good riddance I say.
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2012-11-27 at 08:49 PM.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Obviously I would be singing a different tune if the situation was entirely different. But it wasn't. None of the information we have available (or that I have read anyway) has any mention of the teens carrying a weapon. This was excessive force, plain and simple. The whole "shoot first, ask later" mentality is asinine. We should be allowed to kill someone because he or she might maybe possibly feasibly have a weapon that we don't know of? If he truly feared for his life he should have confronted them. He had the upper hand already. He had the weapon. The element of surprise. But he couldn't be bothered to take the seconds it would have taken to assess the situation properly? He shot him the moment he came into view, then proceeded to EXECUTE him after tumbled down the stairs. Tell me, sir. At what point was he a threat?
    Not true. Plently of elderly jump to conclusions and fear things that are not either really there or happening. Who knows what story got made up in his head and already people on this forum are calling him mental.

For all we know, he truely believe they were there to take all he has and kill him.

We should be reserving judgement like this quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Just what evidence is that? The testimony of one person?
    It's very suspicious and doesn't add up. Shouldn't you reserve judgement of these two individuals until all the facts are known?
    However, since neither side seems to actually be doing that (including you and me) it's not likely to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealed Shut View Post
    Glad to hear you are willing to go that extra mile. Most of us husbands/fathers would die to protect their family. My question to you is, how do you know the intent of the person invading your house and are you willing to risk your family to find out before taking action?
    You don't and it should hardly be expected that you should put your life at risk to find out.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    If he had shot them and killed them without any intermediate event where they were incapacitated then it would be fine. But in this case, he shot a guy in the face after he had just fallen down a flight of stairs after being shot, then waited around for the girl to approach and did something similar with her.
    he waited for the girl or he heard more footsteps and realized there was another person? This came up earlier as the old man was a "waiting assassin" in his basement but the articles I read said nothing about hearing 2 people or knowing there was another person until she made noise with footsteps. If this were me, and I had shot one, I would think that a gun shot would have scared the first one away. But to have another person come to the place where gun shots were i'd think they were armed and coming to return fire.

The man's sister had accused one of the teens of robbing her previously.

This guy had decided that the proper punishment for these teens was execution before they ever made their way into his basement. The question is did they break in to his house and walk down the stairs one at a time so he could kill them, or did he do something to get them there.

Self defense is doing what you need to do to defend yourself. Executing someone is something that a murderer does. If these kids did in fact break into a murderer's house that still doesn't make their murders justifiable. If your kid steals an ID to get into a club and meets up with a rapist, that doesn't mean they deserve to be.. you know... . If your brother steals something from a store, that doesn't mean they can take him out back and shoot him. These kids put themselves in a bad spot (if they actually did it), but that doesn't mean that they deserved to die for it.

Shoot first ask questions later is the only way to go in a home invasion period I will not risk my life nor my families to ask questions if someone invades my home. that being said people should think twice before entering a mans home! And I am going by the police statement made on their tv press release
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post

This is why you shouldn't put guns in every house

and this is why you should actually watch your dumbass kids so they dont pull shit like this in the first place.

2 wrongs:
    overreacting elder
    (cant blame him, a 64 years old vs 2 teens theres no chance)
    Kifer laughed when his gun jammed I think this is the scariest moment in that situation for him.

and a SMART idea from 2 teenagers on thanksgiving.

What people should learn : DO NOT invade other people's homes, "Shoot First, Ask Later" is the safest way to make sure you don't become a victim from the invaders.
    Last edited by Gamez; 2012-11-27 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlasphemousMusic View Post
    he waited for the girl or he heard more footsteps and realized there was another person? This came up earlier as the old man was a "waiting assassin" in his basement but the articles I read said nothing about hearing 2 people or knowing there was another person until she made noise with footsteps. If this were me, and I had shot one, I would think that a gun shot would have scared the first one away. But to have another person come to the place where gun shots were i'd think they were armed and coming to return fire.
    He still waited around to hear the footsteps. The point about waiting around isn't that he's some assassin, it's that he should have called the police right after he shot the first kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamez View Post
    This is why you shouldn't put guns in every house

and this is why you should actually watch your dumbass kids so they dont pull shit like this in the first place.

2 wrongs:
    overreacting elder
    (cant blame him, a 64 years old vs 2 teens theres no chance)
    Kifer laughed when his gun jammed I think this is the scariest moment in that situation for him.

and a SMART idea from 2 teenagers on thanksgiving.
    Yeah, the whole laughing thing may not even have been due to his gun jamming and should have been in no way scary. You could tell by the way he said it that he was more angry that she was laughing. Anyway, back to the laughing, it could have been due to having been shot a few times and falling down the stairs. Some people laugh when they are in pain.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-11-27 at 08:46 PM.

Deleted
    The only good bug is a dead bug.

I am not saying I agree with how he finished these kids off by any means, but I was not there and dont know his frame of mind I leave that to the courts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjcasey View Post
    Shoot first ask questions later is the only way to go in a home invasion period I will not risk my life nor my families to ask questions if someone invades my home. that being said people should think twice before entering a mans home! And I am going by the police statement made on their tv press release
    i

I find it sad and funny all at the same time. If these kids were some dead-shit drop outs that had been charged multiple times for robbery and had a criminal past, this man would be sitting on top of a podeium right now collecting medals from the town folk. But sadly they were popular teens that broke into the wrong guys house, and ended up dead. The "finishing shot" was just that, the severity of the wounds prior to the shot to the head sound like they were going to die anyways, had he waited 30mins and then called the police, insted of shooting them in the head, they would still have died, and he'd be at home. Its never nice to see people die/killed, but in a state that allows you to use deadly force on people that enter your home with intentions to rob, you probally have it coming.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    I find it sad and funny all at the same time. If these kids were some dead-shit drop outs that had been charged multiple times for robbery and had a criminal past, this man would be sitting on top of a podeium right now collecting medals from the town folk. But sadly they were popular teens that broke into the wrong guys house, and ended up dead. The "finishing shot" was just that, the severity of the wounds prior to the shot to the head sound like they were going to die anyways, had he waited 30mins and then called the police, insted of shooting them in the head, they would still have died, and he'd be at home. Its never nice to see people die/killed, but in a state that allows you to use deadly force on people that enter your home with intentions to rob, you probally have it coming.
    It's pathetic watching people try to condone what he's done. 1) we don't know that's how it happened because his story has holes 2) his story is fucked up off the bat 3) he never called the cops and didn't intend to.

sad but so true
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 02:50 PM ----------

For that I am sure he will pay!!! He should have called immediately [/I][/I][/I]
    It's pathetic watching people try to condone what he's done. 1) we don't know that's how it happened because his story has holes 2) his story is fucked up off the bat 3) he never called the cops and didn't intend to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tough one to answer.

Kids were wrong to break in to a house and attempt to burglarize it.
    He was right to be able to defend his home with shooting them.
    He was wrong to excecute non-combatants.
    He was wrong to not alert the police immediately.

It's not murder 1, that's for sure.
    It's could go as murder 2.
    It's at least aggravated manslaughter.

He already copped to it, so he'll be in prison for a while.

EDIT: I find it rather hard to believe that a teen girl with two bullets in her started to laugh at him when his gun jammed. Dubious indeed...
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Oh you're a liberal bashing conservative? Well that's just lovely.
    lol, ok? 8.9.10