10+ Year Old Account

Gearing questions with the new changes

So here's my armory link http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...fytzy/advanced

My first question is about the new ilvl upgrade system:

I'm capped on VP, and have no more blues, but I do have two 463 1H weapons I haven't been using because I've got the 489 2H weapon.

My plan with is to log on, upgrade my 2H weapon by 8 ilvls, and my DMC trinket by 8 ilvls with the 3000 valor I have atm. I'll be able to earn another 1000 valor (so one more upgrade of 4 ilvl's before raid tonight)

However I've wanted to go DW for quite some time but because of loot rules I've been passing on the 1H weapons that drop since one of the tanks still has a blue 1H weapon etc.

So knowing that DW is better cleave/aoe, and ALSO better single target dps then 2H atm, would upgrading my 2H weapon from a 489 to a 497 provide a bigger dps increase, or upgrading my two 463's from 463 to 479 with JP, and using the 1500 valor elsewhere provide more of a dps increase?

Also, as for the extra 4ilvl's I can upgrade an item with after the first 3000... which peice would you suggest placing the last 4 ilvls on if you were me? I was thinking the other trinket (Since my guild will take a while before downing heroic emperor and we haven't attempted any heroics yet but we will soon)

My second question is about my helm:

I currently have a 496 crit/exp helm with a yellow socket and a socket bonus of +180 crit. I was looking at a really geared DK that out-dps'd me in LFR today, and he was wearing the engineering helm.

Is the engineering helm a better piece to be wearing? Also if it is better then is it better for both DW and 2H, or just one or the other?

Deleted
    Hard to say but DW gains less dps through weapons than 2h does so I think you're going to perform better with 2h in any case because the difference in term of ilvl is too high.

As for the helm I don't know which one would be better (too gems involved XD) but I really don't think it's the reason why he out-dpsed you. Maybe you have the log of your LFR run?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/x6m4l9hx30dugl6v/

thats the logs from my lfr's, he was present in the three terrace bosses (for some reason tsulong is marked as a wipe even though we killed him)

I believe he out dps'd me because he is DW (with one heroic weapon), and the fact that he has his 4 pc and I don't even have 2 pc.

The helm was just something I noticed, and I wasn't sure about, the 600 stats from two cogwheels, and the 180 STR from socket bonus makes me think that it could be close.

You won't be able to upgrade to 479 but only to 471, because justice points only get to upgrade once for 1500, but then instantly 8 ilvl, not 16. So the decision lies between 497 and 471, what do you think?

Also: 4 pc DK Frost DPS doesn't help as much as you'd think, it's a pretty small dps increase overall. Can't name any special numbers but I don't think it's more than a 1 % DPS increase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaharon View Post
    You won't be able to upgrade to 479 but only to 471, because justice points only get to upgrade once for 1500, but then instantly 8 ilvl, not 16. So the decision lies between 497 and 471, what do you think?

Also: 4 pc DK Frost DPS doesn't help as much as you'd think, it's a pretty small dps increase overall. Can't name any special numbers but I don't think it's more than a 1 % DPS increase.
    The fact that he has the 2 pc and the 4 pc is significant which is the only reason I mentioned it, he has like... 4 or 5 ilvls on me I think? idk didn't look really don't care that much, I only really brought him up because I wasn't sure about the helm.

The 2 pc for 2H is approx a 6, sometimes 7% dps increase by itself (I do about 60-70% of my damage each fight with oblit and FS, so 10% more of each leads to the 6-7% I'm talking about), so add the 1% you're talking about to that and it's 7-8% dps increase. For DW the 2 pc is a bit less, but MH and OH frost strikes still do approx 40-50% of your damage, which leads to a 4-5% increase, plus the 4 pc giving him a 5-6% dps increase over me. (as long as your 1% estimate is correct)

I didn't know about the JP only being usable once though, and I appreciate that, it makes the decision a lot easier. I really want to go DW but without the weapons it's not really possible, so I was grasping straws here

I'm going to be honest with you. 2h requires much more personal skill (and ofc a good weapon brings you more with a 2h than with 2 1h) than dw does. Dw is almost pretty much spamming the shit out of glowing buttons where with 2h you have to carefully micromanage. I personally think you should rather play more 2h as it scales better with your skill and you can outdmg dw easily by just playing better than them.

You can get high numbers with dw pretty easily, and as you said you are missing your 2pc (thats a very big dps boost) I think you just should stay 2h and learn to master it. You will have much more fun (at least I have) than with dw and you will see the profit of mastering 2h in higher numbers. Of course dw will be better on aoe fights but you just have to deal with it, it won't be that much better, maybe 3/4%.

I would disagree with Kaharon. When we talk about DW being ahead on aoe fights, it's not a 4% difference. It's much higher than that. This week I swapped to DW frost w/ NM elegion and a blue OH from 2h w/ RF starshatter, and both my single and multitarget have improved (the single being mostly the change from weapon swapping, obviously), but the damage increase on cleave fights isn't the kind of thing you can output if you just play better. On stone guard, I went from 71k last week to 96k this week. On wind lord, I went up around 40k dps from our attempts the week before. On WotE, I jumped up around 10k dps (I'm on add duty). These aren't tiny dps increases. 2h may arguably have a higher skill cap with its higher focus on crit management and disease control, which is arguable to begin with, but honestly your dps is going to be much higher on any cleave fight with DW, and that is what matters.

As for the original topic, I'd upgrade both your trinkets. You're a long way away from heroic darkmist vortex, and NM lei shin is stronger than NM darkmist if you can trust EJ. If you want to upgrade your weapons, the 463's can probably be upgraded with justice points anyways.

Deleted
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...abona/advanced

His armory, and you were afraid about his helm? :P

2pc and 4pc is way more relevant

Deleted
    I have also a gearing question: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hiryxdk/simple <-My armory

Should I be upgrading my weapon first over my trinket (also 2nd Dec I'm getting Relic of Xuen) and when getting that trinket which trinket I should replace with it?

It's going to depend on how likely your DK is to kill bosses in NM and how lucky you are in LFR. As it stands right now, it seems like you're going to be moving out of a lot of that gear pretty quickly, either because of LFR loot being stronger (both of your weapons) or because NM loot is stronger (darkmist, your LFR loot). Assuming you progress about as far as your shaman is right now, the only piece that's really worth throwing valor at right now is your tier legs. It might be a good idea to sit on your valor for another week and see if you can find a stronger weapon, but make sure you keep enough to upgrade the DMF trinket when you get it because it's still BIS iirc.

I'm also pretty sure that you can just go ahead and upgrade all three of your blues with JP, so there's some free ilevel there.

Deleted
    Alright, thx for your reply. Currently we don't have any Alt raiding action, so my gear on DK is gonna come from LFR mainly, or MAYBE if we need another melee dps for example to Garalon or something. But yea, gonna save up those valors for the trinket atleast and maybe I get lucky from Sha of Anger/Galleon and upgrade that piece then or something..

10+ Year Old Account
    Wowww so check this out, I upgraded my 2H weapon and my DMC trinkets right away, and after raid today we full cleared HoF and Terrace reg, I got the Sha touched 1H weapon off a gold coin roll (yay!) but with a blue off hand still I was planning on sticking with 2H since I upgraded it 8 ilvl's and it's prolly still better then 496/463

THEN I ran HoF 2nd half LFR, and the 483 version of the 1H dropped off of amber shaper...

So now my dilemma is this: I have enough valor again (after running stuff today) to upgrade the sha-touched 1H 4 ilvls making it ilvl 500, and with the 483 off hand... will that be better or worse then my 497 (489 + 8 ilvls) 2H starshatter.

I am equally skilled with both specs and honestly prefer the faster rotation of DW, but I am always trying to be optimal so your opinions matter more then my personal preference.

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 04:30 AM ----------

Also, I'm in the process of simming atm, i'm just burning time while the plotting and stat weights and all that is being done.

Deleted
    I gonna bet my 2 cents that 2h will be better, at least until you get the legendary gem to socket your MH.