Spirit shell question

Spirit shell is a great ability, but I have a question about it. The situation I'm describing has to do with the second boss in heart of fear (Blade Lord Ta'yak, the one with the tornados). After a tornado phase, the entire raid is at very low HP. I have another healer with me so I know I'm not alone. On last weeks kill, I spirit shelled, then spammed PoH to "heal" the raid. Would it have been better just to PoH without spirit shell? I knew the shells would be completely absorbed and I knew the other healer would be able to heal up the raid, so it's not like I was leaving them at low HP. In this case, the shells prevented everyone from dieing and the other healers healed up the raid. It worked, but I'm not positive spirit shelling was the best move.

Thoughts?

using Spirit Shell after the raid dmg is wrong, think you should spirit shell PoH the raid before the damage.
    that way they won't be as low and easier to heal up.
    if it's constant raid damage i dont think it matters much.

If it's still constant damage it's still better to use spirit shell, spirit shell benefits from mastery and crit, so, for example, a prayer of healing could heal for 10, and crit for 20 while a spirit shell poh would always place a 18 bubble. In the end, it's higher HPS to use spirit shell because you can't control critting. However Woop Woop is right in the sense that you should be using Spirit Shell before the damage goes out. Obviously those numbers aren't precise. :P

Deleted
    Agree, spirit shell is ALWAYS better than normal PoH, since you avoid most likely all overhealing

What I would do is arch + spirit shell + power infusion directly before phase change (probably around 22 - 23% depending on how fast your raid damages the boss) and alternate PoH on group 1 and group 2. The duration on spirit shell, as long as you're refreshing it every other GCD, should be enough to last through the entire damaging transition and it's just a matter of stacking it high enough to negate all of that damage. After that phase it would be a good idea to spam PoH for the strong aoe healing, but you should see a noticeable difference if you preemptively spirit shell instead of using it after the transition. Hope this helps

We normally get the boss down to about 25% or so then wait for the strike to hit. Once it's hit we heal everyone up, push the boss and I cast SS on the raid at around 21-22% so that when we get picked up it can absorb all of the damage taken so we can go into phase 2 at full health.

Quote Originally Posted by lizon View Post
    We normally get the boss down to about 25% or so then wait for the strike to hit. Once it's hit we heal everyone up, push the boss and I cast SS on the raid at around 21-22% so that when we get picked up it can absorb all of the damage taken so we can go into phase 2 at full health.
    This is what we do also.
    Do this.

Deleted
    as above ^^ its what i do too

What people are saying is what I do for the first tornado phase. The entire thing is mitigated. I know it's better to cast spirit shell before the damage if it's possible, but in this case it wouldn't have been effective. The transition for this question was the 10% transition, and half the raid left to go to the other side around 12% using the wind on the sides. There isnt much damage when the DPS use the wind to go to the other side so spirit shelling wouldnt have done much at all. It might have just faded off. I went with them and was waiting on the other side of the room for the boss to come over. Right when the tornadoes switched directions, me and one other DPS were mysteriously put into tornadoes and taken to the middle of the room (guess we werent far enough back..). Since only half the raid was over on the other side (split 50/50 between groups), spirit shelling didnt make sense at the time. When I got back to the boss, the entire group was low. I cast spirit shell at this point because I knew another healer wasn't far behind and I didnt think I could bubble everyone fast enough.

What vanityking said was what I was looking for. That's what I thought the answer was, but I wanted someone to confirm it.

Deleted
    Adding to this, I am not sure how to use spirit shell in general: Should I use it on CD or wait to shield high ammounts of raid/tankdamage even if it means having it off CD for half a minute? Right now I do the latter but I am thinking about using AA during high damage phases (right now I use it pretty much on CD unless there is low to no damage at that time).

NO offense... but it's really obvious that spirit shell is another form of power word barrier.

You don't cast PW:B and PW:S after raid damage happens.. you cast it before to prevent it.

So isn't the function of spirit shell very obvious for people? I don't really get why people need to ask, "do i cast it after raid damage or before?"

Obviously, it's a shield that prevents damage, why in gods name would you consider casting it after raid damage...

Deleted
    No offense... But you misread my question. I do know how to use a shield but first of all you don't have to shield the whole raid, it works of single target heals aswell and the tanks are pretty much constantly taking damage. Secondly I was asking if it is optimal to save Spirit Shell for high ammount of raid damage which isn't always exactly one minute apart or if I should use it on CD to minmiize tank damage. I don't know how you got the idea I was saying I use it after raid damage since I never said that. The reason I am asking is that I see on WoL that most Disc priests have very high HPS numbers with spirit shell and I am not since it sometimes is off CD for mroe than a minute without me using it due to lack of incomming raid damage - So I was wondering if it is optimal to use it more frequently or if my current usage is better but since shields don't overheal it just pushes others HPS way more.

Your answer is obvious...

It's a big shield that can target either a single target, or using PoH multiple targets.

If a boss has a huge aoe, obviously save it for the big aoe and not waste it on the tank or a single person...

I don't understand why you have to ask that question, it's quite obvious which choice is better.

If your spirit shell wasn't available before the damage and it becomes available just after the damage, and you don't use it, you're probably a retard. Spirit Shell is ALWAYS better heal than anything else, firstly because it is as close to 0 overhealing as we'll ever get, and secondly you buy time and give a margin of error to the raid when they're under spirit shell.

If you're using spirit shell like a glorified PWB you probably haven't understood how priests work and should get yourself checked. (Don't listen to that priest who just posted who obviously didn't read the OP and just came here to bitch)

So you did good. No worries mate.

But don't use it for tank mitigation, always keep it if you can for big hitting abilities.
    Last edited by kouby; 2012-11-30 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kouby View Post
    If your spirit shell wasn't available before the damage and it becomes available just after the damage, and you don't use it, you're probably a retard. Spirit Shell is ALWAYS better heal than anything else, firstly because it is as close to 0 overhealing as we'll ever get, and secondly you buy time and give a margin of error to the raid when they're under spirit shell
    If you're going to call people retards you better not say stupid things yourself. Using spirit shell *after* rain of blades or whatever wind lord's raid aoe is called is a complete waste and it will fully overheal except on the tank. If there's no damage incoming, using spirit shell is actually a negative, because the shields you're building will expire without absorbing anything and meanwhile you're not even healing up people who aren't topped off.

Spirit shell not overhealing is only true if the shields actually break. Any absorption effect that expires when it still has damage left to absorb is exactly the same as overhealing.

Quote Originally Posted by kouby View Post
    If your spirit shell wasn't available before the damage and it becomes available just after the damage, and you don't use it, you're probably a retard. Spirit Shell is ALWAYS better heal than anything else, firstly because it is as close to 0 overhealing as we'll ever get, and secondly you buy time and give a margin of error to the raid when they're under spirit shell.

If you're using spirit shell like a glorified PWB you probably haven't understood how priests work and should get yourself checked. (Don't listen to that priest who just posted who obviously didn't read the OP and just came here to bitch)

So you did good. No worries mate.

But don't use it for tank mitigation, always keep it if you can for big hitting abilities.
    You can't be serious?

If this isn't a troll then I will be absolutely mortified that players who think this way exist.