Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
23
... LastLast
  1. #241
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Guns are the problem, and so are the people who use them, atleast, a lot of people who use them.

    Also, don't compare a gun to a baseball bat. A gun is made to injure or kill someone, a baseball bat isn't.
    baseball bats are made with the intention of hitting things, and for no other purpose. They should be banned accordingly, only professionaly trained baseball players should be able to own one.

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    baseball bats are made with the intention of hitting things, and for no other purpose. They should be banned accordingly, only professionaly trained baseball players should be able to own one.
    ^^ true

  3. #243
    Pandaren Monk Auloria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Evianir View Post
    Everytime this post is ignored it'll only get longer.

    Simple question, if the criminals robbing your home doesn't have access to guns, as is the case in most of western europe, why would you need that gun for protection?
    For example, guns can be an equalizer for a woman who finds herself in such a situation. Physically, she has no chance.

  4. #244
    Quote Originally Posted by kays View Post
    some knives are made to kill people too. in the UK less gun murders more knife murders. If someone wants to kill someone enough to shoot and kill them they will find something else to kill them with. the problem is people wanting to kill other people in the first place.
    I know, then I'll add something else. Guns can kill people from a distance, knives can't, also, a lot of knives aren't used to kill, atleast, that's not their main purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    baseball bats are made with the intention of hitting things, and for no other purpose. They should be banned accordingly, only professionaly trained baseball players should be able to own one.
    Oh yes!

    I'm going to buy a baseball bat right now to hit flies, bees, hit the floor and maybe even the air!!!!!!

  5. #245
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I know, then I'll add something else. Guns can kill people from a distance, knives can't, also, a lot of knives aren't used to kill, atleast, that's not their main purpose.

    Oh yes!

    I'm going to buy a baseball bat right now to hit flies, bees, hit the floor and maybe even the air!!!!!!
    Knives can diffidently kill people from a distance.

  6. #246
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Knives can diffidently kill people from a distance.
    That takes some actual skill....

    Guns are just point and click. Any idiot can do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If anybody is thinking of buying me a gift I would much rather they just donate that money to charity instead.
    chicken kiev

  7. #247
    Quote Originally Posted by Evianir View Post
    Everytime this post is ignored it'll only get longer.

    Simple question, if the criminals robbing your home doesn't have access to guns, as is the case in most of western europe, why would you need that gun for protection?
    You can keep pasting your hoplophobic platitudes all you want (ignoring the fact that you can't get rid of guns on the black market when there are so many already here). The simple fact is that people enjoy the freedom to buy whatever they want to defend themselves, hunt, or go to the range with. Sorry if you cannot trust your fellow citizens to wield weapons if they so choose. More freedom is always better than less.

    The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms, like law, discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. The balance of power is the scale of peace. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. Horrid mischief would ensue were one-half the world deprived of the use of them; for while avarice and ambition have a place in the heart of man, the weak will become a prey to the strong. - Thomas Paine
    Last edited by Raidenx; 2012-11-28 at 07:49 PM.

  8. #248
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Knives can diffidently kill people from a distance.
    Of course they do.

    Now, tell me how many people can actually someone with a knife that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    That takes some actual skill....

    Guns are just point and click. Any idiot can do that.
    Also what he said.

  9. #249
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Of course they do.

    Now, tell me how many people can actually someone with a knife that way.

    Also what he said.
    Katarina anyone?

  10. #250
    Honestly, I think a lot of non-US may have kind of a skewed view of what life in the States can be like. Granted, I actually lived in the murder-capital of the US growing up (I believe that "honor" now resides in Detroit or Flint, MI, correct?), but you honestly had to be careful every second of the day. There are a lot of places where they actually openly advise women to only walk from their car to their apartment while it's still daylight out. And honestly, things are only getting worse, and they're getting their quickly.

    Speaking for myself, I actually live in a decent neighborhood now, and have for a few years, so I never really considered owning a gun; I've known too many people I went to school with get shot, so I figured I was better without one. That mindset came into question last year, when some guy tried to break-in, when it should've been obvious somebody was there. I yelled out at him, grabbed a knife, and called the cops. Logically, I still probably don't need a gun (and for the record, I still don't have one), but when you're actually faced with very real danger, anything less just feels inadequate.

  11. #251
    Yeah I totally see where these people who think guns are the problem are coming from. I mean, let's just ban guns because they only kill and are never necessary. Then we can watch as humanity regresses to using string-drawn projectile weapons again and other bladed melee weapons along with maybe even bludgeoning weapons as the norm. And then deaths related to those weapons will go way up because, well, it's easier to kill people that way than to just beat them with your fists. So then we can blame those weapons and ban them too, and then people will start killing each other with rocks or other every day objects. Because you know, that's what people did before guns; and it's what would happen again.

    People who want to kill others will find a way to kill them. Banning the tools doesn't stop the animals of humanity from doing this. To think that it will is to be naive and ignorant to history. America in particular has a gun culture that is here for many reasons that have been discussed already. And you know, some of us live in areas where violence is much more prevalent. We don't all live in culdesacs in rich neighborhoods far from crime-ridden slums and such. We don't all live in places in the world where the prevailing mentality of the locale is such that guns are flat out unnecessary 100% of the time. So as for me, I'll go about being a responsible gun owner and know that I have the means to protect myself should the need ever arise. And if it doesn't, that's fine too. But damned if I won't be prepared.

  12. #252
    Bloodsail Admiral Madkitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,018
    I have nothing against people owning guns in general. But somethings should probably be done to make it safer.

    As alot of people have said, most guns the criminals have are stolen. So surely if someone loses their gun or had it stolen, they should be reviewed and stripped of their license for x-years, because if it was stored correctly the gun should not be stolen (if its in a safe then you can question whether the safe was fit for its requirements or if it wasn't in a safe then its their fault)

    Tier the licences; so its max 2 guns if licence held for <5 years, max 5 guns if licence held for 5-10 years etc. or have the type of guns you can own dependent of how long the licence is held.

  13. #253
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
    Yeah I totally see where these people who think guns are the problem are coming from. I mean, let's just ban guns because they only kill and are never necessary. Then we can watch as humanity regresses to using string-drawn projectile weapons again and other bladed melee weapons along with maybe even bludgeoning weapons as the norm. And then deaths related to those weapons will go way up because, well, it's easier to kill people that way than to just beat them with your fists. So then we can blame those weapons and ban them too, and then people will start killing each other with rocks or other every day objects. Because you know, that's what people did before guns; and it's what would happen again.

    People who want to kill others will find a way to kill them. Banning the tools doesn't stop the animals of humanity from doing this. To think that it will is to be naive and ignorant to history. America in particular has a gun culture that is here for many reasons that have been discussed already. And you know, some of us live in areas where violence is much more prevalent. We don't all live in culdesacs in rich neighborhoods far from crime-ridden slums and such. We don't all live in places in the world where the prevailing mentality of the locale is such that guns are flat out unnecessary 100% of the time. So as for me, I'll go about being a responsible gun owner and know that I have the means to protect myself should the need ever arise. And if it doesn't, that's fine too. But damned if I won't be prepared.
    Actually I would appreciate melee weapons, at least look badass.


    They hurt a lot more though.

  14. #254
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    That takes some actual skill....

    Guns are just point and click. Any idiot can do that.
    hmmm, reminds me of an mmo i used to play....

  15. #255
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    A firearm which was stolen from a legit owner that did not secure it properly. Having gun control does not mean banning them, it means owning them responsibly.
    This is stated over and over and over again. Frantic about stolen guns but it's not really true.

    Where Do Crime Guns Come From
    Virtually every gun starts out as a legally manufactured product, but the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) points to three common ways guns move from legal distribution channels to the criminal market:
    ---Corrupt federally licensed gun dealers: Federally licensed gun dealers send more guns to the criminal market than any other single source. Nearly 60% of the guns used in crime are traced back to a small number—just 1.2%—of crooked gun dealers. Corrupt dealers frequently have high numbers of missing guns, in many cases because they’re selling guns “off the books” to private sellers and criminals. In 2005, the ATF examined 3,083 gun dealers and found 12,274 “missing” firearms.
    ---Straw purchasing: Straw purchasing is the most common way criminals get guns, accounting for almost 50% of trafficking investigations. A straw purchaser is someone with a clean record who buys guns on behalf of someone legally prohibited from possessing guns. Straw purchasers are often the friends, relatives, spouses or girlfriends of prohibited purchasers. The two Columbine High School shooters recruited friends to buy guns for them at Colorado gun shows. One of the buyers admitted she would not have bought the guns if she had been required to submit to a background check.
    ---Gun Shows and private gun sales: Gun shows have been called “Tupperware parties for criminals” because they attract large numbers of prohibited buyers. A loophole in federal law allows unlicensed or “private” sellers, many of whom work out of gun shows, to lawfully sell or transfer guns without conducting a criminal background check. Gun show dealers have been known to advertise to criminals with signs that read “no background checks required here.”

    As you can see, this comes from an Anti-gun site. (And I don't really agree with their coloring of gun shows). But anyway...

    It's not people breaking in and stealing guns to use in crimes. I'm sure for them that's just a bonus. They already have the guns, either through their own internal network, or through straw buys. The 300,000 or whatever guns that are reported stolen every year is nothing compared to the other sources.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 08:07 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Madkitty View Post
    I have nothing against people owning guns in general. But somethings should probably be done to make it safer.

    As alot of people have said, most guns the criminals have are stolen. So surely if someone loses their gun or had it stolen, they should be reviewed and stripped of their license for x-years, because if it was stored correctly the gun should not be stolen (if its in a safe then you can question whether the safe was fit for its requirements or if it wasn't in a safe then its their fault)

    Tier the licences; so its max 2 guns if licence held for <5 years, max 5 guns if licence held for 5-10 years etc. or have the type of guns you can own dependent of how long the licence is held.
    "Stored Correctly" is in a holster on my side at all times. Oh the random silly things people come up with that they think will help. More registration! More Licensing! More Gun Free Zones. [I can hear the criminals laughing now.]
    Last edited by Porcell; 2012-11-28 at 08:08 PM.

  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Katarina anyone?
    Lol, I wasn't expecting that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
    Yeah I totally see where these people who think guns are the problem are coming from. I mean, let's just ban guns because they only kill and are never necessary. Then we can watch as humanity regresses to using string-drawn projectile weapons again and other bladed melee weapons along with maybe even bludgeoning weapons as the norm.
    waaaaaaaaaat....

    Okay, look, I don't want ALL guns to be banned, I want guns to be banned for citizens, because, apparently, a lot of people don't know how to use them or use them recklessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
    And then deaths related to those weapons will go way up because, well, it's easier to kill people that way than to just beat them with your fists. So then we can blame those weapons and ban them too, and then people will start killing each other with rocks or other every day objects. Because you know, that's what people did before guns; and it's what would happen again.
    Yes, they will go so up.

    Yes, it's easier to kill a person with your first or a knive.

    And oh god, no one should use guns because it's so hard to use one and they don't kill things or people as easily as your fists or knives!!!!

  17. #257
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Yes, they will go so up.

    Yes, it's easier to kill a person with your first or a knive.

    And oh god, no one should use guns because it's so hard to use one and they don't kill things or people as easily as your fists or knives!!!!
    Way to miss the entire point. LOL.

    But hell, just to be fair, in case the first paragraph of my post was confusing, it was heavily laced with sarcasm.

  18. #258
    If you own a gun because you want to protect yourself should the government ever come to take away your rights, then I think you need to have your gun taken away.

    Anyone that crazy is mentally unfit to own a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'm probably the nicest person on this whole damned forum, and you can make a sig from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    Just have a sig that says "I'm Batman."

  19. #259
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    If you own a gun because you want to protect yourself should the government ever come to take away your rights, then I think you need to have your gun taken away.

    Anyone that crazy is mentally unfit to own a gun.
    Um... that's what the second amendment is specifically for. Protecting yourself against the government. The second amendment has nothing to do with hunting or sport shooting. It is about your personal protection, first and foremost against your own government.

  20. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    Um... that's what the second amendment is specifically for. Protecting yourself against the government.
    or other threats, its so as a militia person you have a weapon at the ready.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •