Page 1 of 24
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Hello, I'm an American Gun owner.

    The past few years have been marred with a lot of really shocking news reports regarding gun related deaths in the United States. Because of those stories, I do wholeheartedly believe that gun owners in America have gotten a pretty bad rap across the board. From what I've gleamed via forums, facebook, youtube, and anywhere else people can freely comment, the majority of disgust and negative stereotypes seem to come from Canada, the UK, and or other parts of Europe.

    As a gun owner I've gotten really depressed by this. While I understand that some peoples opinions will never change, I do feel that there is a responsibility to be had of gun owners to actively reach out, discuss, educate, and listen to non gun owners.

    There are a great deal of gun owners in this country who recognize that it is THEIR responsibility to protect their home, family, and self. It is not the responsibility of the police, and as the popular saying goes "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

    In the United States, the belief is that Firearms are an equalizer and a right held in the ability for protection. It's really difficult even when you want to be realistic, to think of balanced ways to "fix" the system because it isn't a light switch and it isn't easy.

    Now, I could waste more time but I'd like to do this. I'm fairly level headed and I do choose things out of principle rather than personal belief, so if you're someone who has an opinion you'd like to express to me or a question, I invite you to do so. I would, for once, like to see someone be proactive in this subject, even if it flops.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    What kind of gun(s) do you own?

  3. #3
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    21,529
    Do you keep them in a gun safe at all times except when carrying them?

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Dreadlord Art3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    guns are bad.
    Anything is bad when used irresponsibly.

  6. #6
    How rigorous is the process for being allowed to purchase and own firearms? If this is a state-by-state thing, just mention how it is wherever you live. Are there any personality tests, any medical checks required, inquiries into mental health, any of these things? It always strikes me that these accidents happen because people who should not be allowed to own weapons do, not simply because 'everybody' has a weapon.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Do you keep them in a gun safe at all times except when carrying them?
    I believe that rule only applies to certain states/cities that deem it necessary when being transported. So, AFAIK, you are free to leave your weapon loaded in your house but obviously it'd be a bad idea if you have kids etc.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    What kind of gun(s) do you own?
    I own two handguns. One for me and the other for my wife.

    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Do you keep them in a gun safe at all times except when carrying them?
    I do not keep them in a safe. We do not have children and are thus in no worry of a child getting to them. People might frown on the idea, but a gun in a safe might as well be in another state if the situation calls for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    guns are bad.
    I both agree and disagree with your point of view. I believe that the necessity for guns is bad. I do not believe a gun itself is anymore or less bad than a car. Although, statistics and the planet might side against the car.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Do you keep them in a gun safe at all times except when carrying them?
    I don't... except all of mine are rifles or shot guns. Should I get a safe for the ammo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is frankly, really god damn fucking stupid.
    Potato.

  10. #10
    I think you need to make sure you're careful and don't word things such as if you're speaking for all of the US.

    Mind you, I'm ok with gun ownership for the most part, but I'm not too gung ho about it one way or another. I just want you to be aware that there are a great many people in our country that do disagree with you and that you can't speak for them.

    As a question though, I'm curious how often you clean your weapon and/or take it to the firing range to practice?

    Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Collegeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,750
    I've got a glock and a 38 revolver.

  12. #12
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    21,529
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    I own two handguns. One for me and the other for my wife.



    I do not keep them in a safe. We do not have children and are thus in no worry of a child getting to them. People might frown on the idea, but a gun in a safe might as well be in another state if the situation calls for it.



    I both agree and disagree with your point of view. I believe that the necessity for guns is bad. I do not believe a gun itself is anymore or less bad than a car. Although, statistics and the planet might side against the car.
    Thats the issue that people have, not keeping them locked up is irresponsible. Do you know firearms used by criminals are stolen from legit owners? It also takes seconds to open a safe to retrieve your weapon, so that is no excuse. I keep many firearms myself, but they are all very secure and would take hours to break them out.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 08:20 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't... except all of mine are rifles or shot guns. Should I get a safe for the ammo?
    The ammo is not the problem, criminals want your guns, not the ammo.

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Istaril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland. Freedom and So on.
    Posts
    3,245
    I don't really have qualms with American's having guns. I think it's pretty fucking stupid, but at this point everyone has them, so trying to take them back would be completely pointless. I wouldn't support any introduction of guns into Scotland however, we've got enough knife crime without gun crime adding up.

  14. #14
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb View Post
    How rigorous is the process for being allowed to purchase and own firearms? If this is a state-by-state thing, just mention how it is wherever you live. Are there any personality tests, any medical checks required, inquiries into mental health, any of these things? It always strikes me that these accidents happen because people who should not be allowed to own weapons do, not simply because 'everybody' has a weapon.
    Michigan's hand gun ownership law No license or permit required to buy a rifle or shotgun. All you have to do is pass a quick check to see if you are a felon and are over 18 iirc.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Thats the issue that people have, not keeping them locked up is irresponsible. Do you know firearms used by criminals are stolen from legit owners? It also takes seconds to open a safe to retrieve your weapon, so that is no excuse. I keep many firearms myself, but they are all very secure and would take hours to break them out.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 08:20 PM ----------



    The ammo is not the problem, criminals want your guns, not the ammo.
    I agree. Not keeping the weapons in a safe place means that they can be stolen, and the majority of crime involving guns is done with stolen weapons.

    Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

  16. #16
    here in the netherlands a boy had psyc problems and was using meds for this.

    he still owned a couple of bigg guns ( machine guns ) while using these meds.
    the boy shot himself after going on a killing spree in a mall....

    do i dislike guns? no
    do i like that everyone can get a gun? NO

    should someone be able to get a permit to legally own any weapon? YES! just make sure it's not a piss easy test you can do within a damm day...

    still there good stories about ppl having a permit to carry a consealed gun outdoors.
    a few out of the back of my mind:

    -little child nearly got kidnapped. random stranger noticed this and forced the man onto the ground using his weapon.
    -3 men tried to rob a bank. untill 10 other ppl inside sad bank pulled there own guns.
    -little girl got dragged into the bushes by a serialy raper. a woman noticed this and yelled at him. while running she shot him in the leg. and he got arrested and sent to jail.

    best one i can remember is a small town somewhere in amerika. after a little gang tryed to take over the town with force the noticed the hole town was armed.
    ended up with tons of cocain and other drugs beeing found wich led the police to a bigg ass network.

    sadly it's hard to own a gun in the netherlands. + theres no damm room to hunt or practice fire unless you go to a shooting range. aka a concret box in a cellar...
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

  17. #17
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    23,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    we've got enough knife crime without gun crime adding up.
    Honestly, knife crime scares me a shitload more than gun crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb View Post
    How rigorous is the process for being allowed to purchase and own firearms? If this is a state-by-state thing, just mention how it is wherever you live. Are there any personality tests, any medical checks required, inquiries into mental health, any of these things? It always strikes me that these accidents happen because people who should not be allowed to own weapons do, not simply because 'everybody' has a weapon.
    It is both state and federal. Depending on your state you may be required to wait a "cooling off" period before being able to actually take any weapon home. This does however again change from state to state. In Illinois where I am, there is a waiting period for shotguns and riffles of 24 hours I believe, while a handgun is a waiting period of 72 hours.

    Now, the thing that most people do not talk about is that ever state runs a federal background check to verify that the purchaser is not a convicted felon. The "issue" to some is that this isn't a lengthy process, but I don't see how or why it should be. They check the national database with your information, if it comes back clean your are on your way to continue the process, whatever follows in your state.

    The common debate is Mental Health and one that sounds great on paper but is far more complicated than people perceive. There is currently no check in any state that I'm aware of which does a mental health evaluation or background check. Medical records are federally protected in the US and as of yet, other than a FFL (dealer) having seller discretion, there is nothing (again that I'm aware of) preventing someone with mental history. This provides a very complex problem because there is no system in place nor is there one which could probably be funded to do so. Furthermore, it's a fine line, for Americans at least, to except the idea that such a program because at some point it would be considered a potential tool to deny people their right at the whim of the government.

    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I agree. Not keeping the weapons in a safe place means that they can be stolen, and the majority of crime involving guns is done with stolen weapons.
    I agree, and it's something my wife and I have struggled with. We rent and do not own. This limits our ability to properly secure them in anything greater than something that would just be taken anyway. We do try to not make their presence well known and never leave them at home when we leave town. Sadly this is the best we can do. If it wasn't for our current states laws, this would not be such an issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    best one i can remember is a small town somewhere in amerika. after a little gang tryed to take over the town with force the noticed the hole town was armed.
    ended up with tons of cocain and other drugs beeing found wich led the police to a bigg ass network.

    sadly it's hard to own a gun in the netherlands. + theres no damm room to hunt or practice fire unless you go to a shooting range. aka a concret box in a cellar...
    I don't know if it was the same event but I too have heard of something like this happening. It was in a small quaint town and a huge crime wave moved it. The Sheriff department openly declared for people to protect themselves because the activity was so large and the SD so small that they couldn't handle everything. Soon after the "gun give away" to long time residents the crime wave plummeted.
    Last edited by hakujinbakasama; 2012-11-27 at 08:28 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    It is both state and federal. Depending on your state you may be required to wait a "cooling off" period before being able to actually take any weapon home. This does however again change from state to state. In Illinois where I am, there is a waiting period for shotguns and riffles of 24 hours I believe, while a handgun is a waiting period of 72 hours.

    Now, the thing that most people do not talk about is that ever state runs a federal background check to verify that the purchaser is not a convicted felon. The "issue" to some is that this isn't a lengthy process, but I don't see how or why it should be. They check the national database with your information, if it comes back clean your are on your way to continue the process, whatever follows in your state.

    The common debate is Mental Health and one that sounds great on paper but is far more complicated than people perceive. There is currently no check in any state that I'm aware of which does a mental health evaluation or background check. Medical records are federally protected in the US and as of yet, other than a FFL (dealer) having seller discretion, there is nothing (again that I'm aware of) preventing someone with mental history. This provides a very complex problem because there is no system in place nor is there one which could probably be funded to do so. Furthermore, it's a fine line, for Americans at least, to except the idea that such a program because at some point it would be considered a potential tool to deny people their right at the whim of the government.
    The Michigan gun laws just up above go through a mental health check.

    Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

  20. #20
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    guns are bad.
    almost as dangerous as ignorance.

    I am also a gun owner but not in america. The biggest problem with american gun laws is the ease at which you can obtain a firearm. It is significantly harder to arm yourself in my country but so long as you are sane and have the right storage security its relatively straight forward process which takes a bit of time, a few police interviews and a training course. We still have firearms crime and violent offences but the majority of those crimes occur with stolen guns anyway and a few and far between. The reality is if criminals cannot obtain guns they simply use whatever other weapons they can get. We are also one of the few nations in the world where our police are not armed for regular police work. Taking away all firearms is not the solution, just tighter control on access to weapons.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •