Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    my dad was a gun dealer til i was around 22 or 23. back in his early years, id say around the early to mid 90s there was quite a deal going on with sks rifles, my dad bought a lot of these and resold them and made quite a profit, he would always pick out some of the best looking ones and set them aside to sell after some of the lower quality ones would sell but towards the end of this little rush he gave me and my brother both one each. i was around 12 or 13 i reckon and it was my first real firearm. i had had a shotgun and a .22 but this was my first non hunting firearm.

ive since sportarized it a bit with a bipod and a folding buttstock and a nice scope and i would have to say it is my favorite due to my father giving it to me. however if i were to choose an overall prefernce in what i enjoy shooting it would be one of my ar-15s. again one of my ars my father gave to me as he was getting out of the gun selling buisness and so it hold a special place as well.
    Why would you do this to such a classic weapon? That rifle was one of the reason the allies won WW2. Thats like taking a classic sports car, and letting pimp my ride have a go on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do own a firearm myself (saiga-12), but it's ALWAYS in the safe, and i wouldn't even consider using it for home protection. Shooting someone, even if said person is breaking in, can turn against you, and you might end up in a bad place yourself (legally), in my country at least.

I do own a very extensive collection of knives, and am quite proficient with them, kudos to training with a pro knife instructor in the military. It's enough for me to defend my house in case of a break in, considering darkness and me being well familiar with the layout.
    Last edited by Darkis; 2012-11-27 at 08:55 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Why would you do this to such a classic weapon? That rifle was one of the reason the allies won WW2. Thats like taking a classic sports car, and letting pimp my ride have a go on it.
    i didnt get rid of any of the parts i replaced. the orignal buttstock is in my gun safe. the orignal finish on it is in good condition and i have been hesistant to do any refinishing work on it, but i assure you all of the pieces i have taken off are still in my possession

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullhurley View Post
    Very good to see these links in this discussion, hopefully folks actually take the time to read through them. Thanks!

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 08:50 PM ----------

Sweden says HI DAR BUDDDDY we are doing fine over here....... I actually don't live in Sweden but you should educate yourself a bit more before speaking. Ignorance is actually WAY more dangerous than firearms. There are some places that when you leave military service you keep your military weapons such as a rifle that is capable of with one switch of a lever go to full auto. Very low crime rates by the way, extremely low. You do the research if you want or just keep spewing your goodness.
    Different culture entirely, the Swedish to not claim to have a right to own firearms, they also do not have the same firearm obsessed culture.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 08:56 PM ----------

Do you know what an assault rifle is? It is any rifle of make or model used to assault.
    Yes, I am in the military, I know more about Assault rifles than you do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

An assault rifle is a select-fire (either fully automatic or burst capable) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine. It is not to be confused with assault weapons.[1] Assault rifles are the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge.

An AR15 cannot do either of those things, hence it is not an assault rifle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Arming an entire population with the ability to kill at the pull of a finger was fucking stupid. Especially with all the morons drifting around. At least against knife you have a chance to run. So many pointless deaths over trivial arguments happen because of it.
    I wonder if people think that United States is a small country. You hear about shootings and psychotic rampages on the news because it makes the ratings. Not to say it's not news or tragic, but it's a small price to pay for freedom when you look at the bigger, responsible nation.

I go outside everyday and there is some risk involved. I could get killed by a car accident, a plane crash, or a gun. If gun crimes were happening all around us in personal vicinity everyday, then it would be something to be alarmed about, but the average American has never seen a gun crime outside of news or television and therefore it is only a small price to pay for freedom.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    i didnt get rid of any of the parts i replaced. the orignal buttstock is in my gun safe. the orignal finish on it is in good condition and i have been hesistant to do any refinishing work on it, but i assure you all of the pieces i have taken off are still in my possession
    Replace them and redeem yourself, there is no shame in using the same set up as our grandfathers/great grandfathers did.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkis View Post
    I do own a firearm myself (saiga-12), but it's ALWAYS in the safe, and i wouldn't even consider using it for home protection. Shooting someone, even if said person is breaking in, can turn against you, and you might end up in a bad place yourself, in my country at least.

I do own a very extensive collection of knives, and am quite proficient with them, kudos to training with a pro knife instructor in the military. It's enough for me to defend my house in case of a break in, considering darkness and me being well familiar with the layout.
    Pfft, noob using a shotgun and commando.

Seriously though, I have a shotgun under my bed and a pistol alongside it and I'm the only one with access. It's just another example of stupid people ruining things for everyone else by making bad decisions. Dude executes intruders? He's crazy and it has nothing to do with guns. If he had stabbed them to death would people be trying to outlaw kitchen knives? People need to stop blaming inanimate objects and take responsibility for their actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Replace them and redeem yourself, there is no shame in using the same set up as our grandfathers/great grandfathers did.
    i do from time to time take the folding buttstock off and put the orignal back on to remind myself what mine looks like. however i just prefer the looks of the folding buttstock on my sks to the orignal one.

sometimes if i get real nostalgic ill thrown the sling on it and attach the bayonet to it

Do you know what an assault rifle is? It is any rifle of make or model used to assault.
    An assault rifle is actually defined as a rifle capable of either fully automatic or burst fire, neither of which were used in the Colorado shooting. If you used a bolt action rifle to assault someone, it isn't an assault rifle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    It's a very difficult thing to provide what you're looking for on several accounts. There isn't a lot of funding into crime prevention due to legally owned firearms. It is actually unknown how many crimes are prevented every year by just showing a gun to a would be attacker. I have seen claims of upwards to 2 million cases a year. However, since those involved no homicide they don't get reported to the FBI nor the CDC.

The closest I can actually offer are the shocking numbers from Florida where since the indoctrination of Stand Your Ground, violent crime has steadily declined every year, and not by a small margine because those statistics were specifically tracked.

However, I don't think even giving you what you are seemingly asking or stating for would have been any more helpful. We live in the information age. If someone cared, they'd already know. This isn't a conversation driven from the point of "here's my stance, I'm right, now let me change you." This was to express that not all gun owners in America are crazed lunatics and or answering some questions due to misconceptions that people have.

Frankly, again, the information is already out there and yet one of the first posts was asking about the purchasing process.

Perhaps you should (not to be disrespectful) wised to the idea that often it isn't fact or fiction which people care about but how it's delivered. I think that is part of the problem with Americans and Guns perceived by the rest of the world, which I blame on our Media and News outlets.

It's not cheerful or even nice, but I've spent time on the internet. I've seen up-close the issue you're talking about. Knife attacks are pretty serious in the UK on down to India and over the Russia.

I've seen countless stories and CCTVs of brutal attacks from Gas Stations to Internet Cafe's. This idea that guns are the singular problem is irrational to me. The common element are humans, and a knife attack is so damn personal it's disgusting.
    You seem to be a bit defensive and I am a little confused why. I am not making a statement one way or the other, just pointing out the obvious. We are not having a discussion on the benefits of arming everyone. We are not engaging in a discussion of why its a good idea to engage in a gun fights. We are starting from a point of view that guns are a part of american culture and that culture has its roots from an age long gone. Everything else is just rationalization and rhetoric. Also, it seems necessary to point out how America differs starkly from pretty much all other civilized nations in this regards. There is a difference, and one way must be better than the other. You decide what indicators you want to use.

Also, to the cop posting in this thread:
    I am not sure how you feel about it, but ever thought about going to work in a situation when EVERYONE is armed?
    Never underestimate of the power of stupid people in large groups.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    An assault rifle is actually defined as a rifle capable of either fully automatic or burst fire, neither of which were used in the Colorado shooting. If you used a bolt action rifle to assault someone, it isn't an assault rifle.
    They used flintlocks to assault positions, I dont think anyone in their right mind would call those assault rifles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right to bear arms in time of Militia.. as in When we have no standing army or police force enacted.
    We have those in place to protect our nation and homes there fore the amendment is irrelevant...
    Tired of gun owners quoting an out of date amendment to claim it's a right. Gun ownership is a privilege.

I'll leave this here as food for thought. It is kinda sad and sickening.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/250877/
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Different culture entirely, the Swedish to not claim to have a right to own firearms, they also do not have the same firearm obsessed culture.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 08:56 PM ----------

Yes, I am in the military, I know more about Assault rifles than you do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

An assault rifle is a select-fire (either fully automatic or burst capable) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine. It is not to be confused with assault weapons.[1] Assault rifles are the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge.

An AR15 cannot do either of those things, hence it is not an assault rifle.
    you are wrong sir im former Military and my wife is a Police officer and on the swat team. Holmes used a S&W MP15 which is a variant of the AR 15 the MP in the name stands for Military and Police and it is an ASSAULT RIFLE even though it is not fully automatic you can shoot it as fast as you can pull the trigger and i can empty a semi auto assault rifle about as fast as a fully automatic one. That gun also hold 30 round magazines and up to 100 rounds from a drum magazine. Assault rifles are mainly used in the Military and Police and they are used to kill people hence why they are called Assault rifles. These guns are just semi auto versions of The same gun which i can modify in about 5 minutes to fire full auto
    Last edited by Skandulous; 2012-11-27 at 09:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
    Right to bear arms in time of Militia.. as in When we have no standing army or police force enacted.
    We have those in place to protect our nation and homes there fore the amendment is irrelevant...
    Tired of gun owners quoting an out of date amendment to claim it's a right. Gun ownership is a privilege.
    Any kind of documentation besides a coma to back that up? You would think such a big misunderstanding would have been recorded somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't... except all of mine are rifles or shot guns. Should I get a safe for the ammo?
    Yes and it should be fireproof.

If your house catches on fire, and the fire department shows up, they won't go into your house if your ammo is not in a fireproof safe.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    you are wrong sir im former Military and my wife is a Police officer and on the swat team. Holmes used a S&W MP15 which is a variant of the AR 15 the MP in the name stands for Military and Police and it is an ASSAULT RIFLE even though it is not fully automatic you can shoot it as fast as you can pull the trigger and i can empty a semi auto assault rifle about as fast as a fully automatic one. That gun also hold 30 round magazines and up to 100 rounds from a drum magazine. Assault rifles are mainly used in the Military and Police and they are used to kill people hence why they are called Assault rifles
    Hope the following will settle this arguement:

The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[4][5][6]

It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
    It must be capable of selective fire;
    It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
    Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.
    And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters (1000 feet)
    Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being considered as such. For example, semi-automatic-only rifles like the AR-15 (which the M16 rifle is based on) that share designs with assault rifles are not assault rifles, as they are not capable of switching to automatic fire and thus are not selective fire capable. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with fixed magazines are likewise not assault rifles because they do not have detachable box magazines.
    The term "assault rifle" is often more loosely used for commercial or political reasons to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or semi-automatic variant of military rifles such as AR-15s.

Deleted
    you are wrong sir im former Military and my wife is a Police officer and on the swat team. Holmes used a S&W MP15 which is a variant of the AR 15 the MP in the name stands for Military and Police and it is an ASSAULT RIFLE even though it is not fully automatic you can shoot it as fast as you can pull the trigger and i can empty a semi auto assault rifle about as fast as a fully automatic one. That gun also hold 30 round magazines and up to 100 rounds from a drum magazine. Assault rifles are mainly used in the Military and Police and they are used to kill people hence why they are called Assault rifles
    Sorry, I refuse to believe what you say over what pretty much every internet definition says, an assault rifle is needs to be able to fire more than one round per trigger pull.

I am willing to bet you were not Infantry during your time in the military, they go crazy if you get stuff like this wrong.

The bolded bit is also a flat out lie.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2012-11-27 at 09:20 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    im in no way trying to start a pissing match but i will fully disagree with your opinion that you can pull a trigger and fire a semi automatic rifle as fast as someone can unload a clip in a fully automatic one.

also the ar that holmes used was not a select fire rifle, which is one of the criteria required for it to be considered an assault weapon.
    Last edited by dokilar; 2012-11-27 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quick Ben View Post
    You seem to be a bit defensive and I am a little confused why. I am not making a statement one way or the other, just pointing out the obvious. We are not having a discussion on the benefits of arming everyone. We are not engaging in a discussion of why its a good idea to engage in a gun fights. We are starting from a point of view that guns are a part of american culture and that culture has its roots from an age long gone. Everything else is just rationalization and rhetoric. Also, it seems necessary to point out how America differs starkly from pretty much all other civilized nations in this regards. There is a difference, and one way must be better than the other. You decide what indicators you want to use.

Also, to the cop posting in this thread:
    I am not sure how you feel about it, but ever thought about going to work in a situation when EVERYONE is armed?
    Maybe you are reading too much into it. He doesn't strike me as defensive at all, I thought it was a thoughtful response to your post. I think you are looking for a fight that isn't there.

I also thought his approach to the thread topic was fine. He wanted to open a discussion with everyone about what he (and many gun owners) believes and why, while you seem to take issue with him for lack of information on gun control.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 09:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    I'll leave this here as food for thought. It is kinda sad and sickening.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/250877/
    And exactly the point of this thread is to show that most gun owners have a lot of respect for the power of their weapons and also for human life. This man clearly did not have the long talks with his father that I did about weapon safety, nor the strict discipline that I got when I failed to respect it.