Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    College at 15? Sure she will get along great with everyone else in their 20's.....
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    How many social events were you invited to at the age of 14? Go to many nightclubs or bars with your "peers"?
    And she has to conform to your idea of what counts because? How do you know she values the same things in friendship as you? How do you know the people she will interact with value the same things as you? How do you know that she wont get along very well with the people she interacts with based on (something i find most valuable in a friendship) common interests.
    Last edited by Frah; 2012-11-27 at 11:09 PM.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I dunno. I'm not an organic chemist. Do you walk into a lab at work and just fiddle with stuff all day while a bar fills up and when that bar fills a cure for a disease appears in your backpack?
    Well, the key part is farming up the Motes of Science beforehand. If you don't do that, the shit's just greyed out.

    (I was joking, in case it's not clear)

  3. #43
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    7th Layer of Hell
    Posts
    438
    She will commit suicide at the age of 24 because she isn't getting the attention and high amounts of praise that she's getting now. A bit like that lindsay lohan skank, except she's not dead. Or in any way brainy.

  4. #44
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligier View Post
    She will commit suicide at the age of 24 because she isn't getting the attention and high amounts of praise that she's getting now. A bit like that lindsay lohan skank, except she's not dead. Or in any way brainy.


    Ouch.... That's kind of dark.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I feel sorry for her, fancy not having any friends at all at her age. All the kids her age are dumb fucks to her, she cannot relate at all. Everyone with the same level of qualifications are 10+ years older than her and dont want to hang around with a kid. She will have problems later in life I am sure, she has my sympathies.
    I have an IQ of around 175 and have never had problems relating to people with an IQ of around 100. IQ is of limited use when talking to people about things like movies, television, working out, or your family. Yeah, so I can understand scientific and dense literature better than most anyone I know. Just because I understand it or even find it interesting at times does not mean I want to talk about it often. I prefer to talk to people about a football game, my family, or my relationships. Science and philosophy gets boring really fast as there is limited purpose to talking to people about it. I tend to find people who have an IQ of about 140 to be incredibly dull and boring. They rarely have anything of interest to add to a conversation other than facts. Rarely are intelligent people willing to talk about things I cannot read in a textbook.

    Look, this girl finds science interesting and probably enjoyed her research quite a lot. That does not mean her scientific curiosity encompasses her. Maybe she likes video games. Maybe she likes fashion (unlikely given how unkempt she is). Maybe she has a strong affinity towards God. Intelligence speaks to a person's ability to learn and process information. It does not speak to how well someone relates to others or what their hobbies are.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-27 at 11:19 PM.

  6. #46
    Epic! OneSent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Sure, she will have a rewarding career, but not a childhood. Michael Jackson springs to mind here.
    It's no different than the children who grow up in a household where the parents are obsessed with his/her future and college education, even though the kid can barely walk, which is quite frequent today.
    Seeking wildness and solitude in a self-destructive world.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I have no idea at all what you're trying to say. Researchers work hard to solve problems, are not paid impressive salaries by any reasonable standard, and tend to be quite smart. Most aren't in line to ever profit from their work in any substantial way, they do it because they like science.

    The problem of inventing a better water purifier (of which there are many designs) is just something that's much more amenable to simple, clever solutions than biomedical research.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 06:06 PM ----------



    Well, at least now I know what I've been doing wrong!
    Researchers do work hard. I never said otherwise. And they find new ways. But those new ways do not necessarily have to make it into the market. And when I say "pharmaceutical industry" I am not talking about the researchers. I am talking about those who represent them. The lobbyists. I am talking about human scum whose only "raison d'être" is to augment money by selling the "right" product to the "right" people.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by JayJay09 View Post
    Researchers do work hard. I never said otherwise. And they find new ways. But those new ways do not necessarily have to make it into the market. And when I say "pharmaceutical industry" I am not talking about the researchers. I am talking about those who represent them. The lobbyists. I am talking about human scum whose only "raison d'être" is to augment money by selling the "right" product to the "right" people.
    If this is the case, researchers should be receiving an awful lot of hush money, since we don't willingly forgo publication. I can't seem to find my hush money check anywhere though.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    I have an IQ of around 175 and have never had problems relating to people with an IQ of around 100. IQ is of limited use when talking to people about things like movies, television, working out, or your family. Yeah, so I can understand scientific and dense literature better than most anyone I know. Just because I understand it or even find it interesting at times does not mean I want to talk about it often. I prefer to talk to people about a football game, my family, or my relationships. Science and philosophy gets boring really fast as there is limited purpose to talking to people about it. I tend to find people who have an IQ of about 140 to be incredibly dull and boring. They rarely have anything of interest to add to a conversation other than facts. Rarely are intelligent people willing to talk about things I cannot read in a textbook.

    Look, this girl finds science interesting and probably enjoyed her research quite a lot. That does not mean her scientific curiosity encompasses her. Maybe she likes video games. Maybe she likes fashion (unlikely given how unkempt she is). Maybe she has a strong affinity towards God. Intelligence speaks to a person's ability to learn and process information. It does not speak to how well someone relates to others or what their hobbies are.
    You have an IQ of 175 rofl. Over 140 is considered genius. You're definitely not 175.

  10. #50
    Don't want to be a jerk, smart kids are wonderful and all, but when was the last time a "world problem" was solved by some smart person through the sheer power of their intellect? I think people misunderstand the nature of the world's problems. And the role intelligent people play in society.

    I mean, to take an example one of the few "geniuses" most people would know (there have been some amazing geniuses in human history and most of them nobody has ever heard of unless they took a course in the history of science or something) would be Einstein. He made some huge contributions to Physics, but what did he ever do that had a serious impact on "world problems"? There were certainly plenty of them around in his time! He helped create the atomic bomb... does that actually count as contributing to "world problems"? He did feel terrible about it though...

    Meanwhile the big movers and shakers of the world are and always have been frankly pretty dim. If anything high intelligence tends to isolate you and makes it difficult for you to get into a position of great influence.

    P.S. Just responding to the concept behind the thread title, nothing against the kid herself. Also, playing video games is awesome :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Good for her. She probably has a high IQ. Let's hope she uses it properly in the future.
    You know, an IQ is just a measure of your current "intelligence" (more like problem solving ability... actually an IQ is really a measure of your ability to do IQ tests), it's not some kind of gift from God. You can increase your IQ through study and self-improvement, if you are sufficiently committed. Maybe it's easier for some people than others but it's not something you're either born with or will never have.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 11:42 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Holyhands View Post
    You have an IQ of 175 rofl. Over 140 is considered genius. You're definitely not 175.
    Depends what "IQ test" he took. They aren't nearly as standardised as people seem to think they are. There's like a million things claiming to be "IQ tests" on the internet for example.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 11:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I started college part time when I was 12, full time at 13, and it was basically fine. There wasn't really much for bumps in the road, and everyone just treated me as a peer (although I got a lot of the obvious questions). It's really just not that big of a deal.
    But that defeats the main purpose of college, which is to get drunk every night and sleep with hot college girls!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Seriously what the hell.

    This kid is practically qualified for a BS in materials science.
    I was playing video games starting about 9, and now I'm 35, and I'm going to play XCOM right after this post, how sad is that?

    Good for her, people like me, need people like her to drag humanity forward, as we kick and scream and hold on to our video games.

  12. #52
    Titan Synthaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, England/UK
    Posts
    13,117
    I was just getting interested in IT at age 14. She's done something impressive but evidently she has a natural talent for that area. Not only that, but she clearly finds research extremely easy to get a grip on and so she's set to only increase her intelligence as she progresses through life. I have a natural gift with technology, but my learning rate is much more relaxed. If i ever create anything truly amazing, i'll be in my 40's, 50's, or maybe even 60's. Right now, i'm happy with the rate i'm going (i'm 23), but i'm impressed by what she's apparently capable of and wish her the best of luck. I only hope that the corporations keep their greedy hands off of it and try to turn it into something they can sell for the sake or profit rather than for the sake of humanity.

    Quote Originally Posted by JayJay09 View Post
    And buying friends is what? Positive in your opinion? People, get away from "being rich equals a fulfilled life". Why do you talk about stuff like this at all in this regard. She had some amazing test results and seems to really be on to something, why talk about her private life and how much money she will make?

    I am quite positive that she has more in mind than mere profit. The search for profit at every corner has taken disgusting forms. And it probably even debases this girl's achievement. She found a way to clean polluted water, because she saw how people got sick and suffered. She got her motivation from within. And you talk about money, career and buying friends. Don't you think that this is quite pathetic in relation to what she actually has accomplished?
    Money doesn't make me happy. Having no money does make me sad, frustrated, and depressed though. Having more money makes me feel neutral but keeps me stable and allows me some freedom to make changes in my life that may make me happier, or more productive which also make me happy. However, being a self-centered and utterly self-focused geek in the truest sense of the word means that i keep myself to myself and rarely reach out to others for friendship (e.g. to lean on someone when i feel i need help). That doesn't mean i don't have friends, but that i don't reach out to new people easily and try not to ask much of my current friends. With that, i don't search for profit, but very much rather make sure anything i do create is free to use and recreate but protected by creative ownership for the sake of being able to prevent it from being monetized and monopolized by some corporation. That's sort of my stand against greed and the unworthy rich getting richer.

    I very much agree with your point, but i think we all need to consider that at 14 years old, you have little to no sense of "financial control or reliance" regardless of your intelligence or what feats you've accomplished. As she grows, this may change. She could seek it out on her own, or be corrupted by the system. We don't know what the future holds, other than the fact that she has a very bright one.

    The sentiment that "Smart people don't make friends because of <factor>" is a silly one because when she does get to college, she'll make friends with people of similar intelligence to her. It's also a silly ideal to assume that smart people aren't popular. Intelligence doesn't generally dictate popularity except on the very lowest end. Even then, it's not outright "denied". People will hang around with others that they can relate to or appreciate, and this doesn't change just because one is smarter than the other.
    Last edited by Synthaxx; 2012-11-28 at 01:37 AM.
    Ex-coder, gamer - Stepped away from dev.
    Done/Planned: Leedsfest 2014, Mallory Knox (Nov 2014), Some surprises | Upcoming: Soundwave (Feb 2015)
    Awaiting UK/EU tour dates: Of Mice and Men, Jimmy Eat World, Architects (>Mar. 2015)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    If NSA is building my profile from tonight's "browsing habits", they're in for a treat: women with three breasts, men with two penises, fake nipples...

  13. #53
    She's talking about pretty basic stuff here.
    Not that amazing as everyone seems to think.
    You may remember me from such threads as!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...18#post8213418

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    How many social events were you invited to at the age of 14? Go to many nightclubs or bars with your "peers"?
    I am 29 and have never been to a night club or bar. With our without my peers. Not sure what your point is. Not all people go to bars or night clubs.

    Also, I at 14 was dating my now husband who was 19. We liked pretty much that same things. So did his friends. I hung out with them when I was at his house.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyhands View Post
    You have an IQ of 175 rofl. Over 140 is considered genius. You're definitely not 175.
    I am quite aware.

  16. #56
    Epic! Iamanerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    1,689
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    I was playing video games starting about 9, and now I'm 35, and I'm going to play XCOM right after this post, how sad is that?

    Good for her, people like me, need people like her to drag humanity forward, as we kick and scream and hold on to our video games.
    Hey it's all about doing what you enjoy in life, what else is there to it? I was playing with computers and playing video games at 14 and I'm still doing the same today lol and I'm 21.
    Intel I5-2500k @4.8Ghz| Noctua NH-U9B | Asus P67 Deluxe | 16GB G.SKILL Ares 2133Mhz
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB/1TB | 512GB MX100 | 1TB WD Black x2 | 2TB WD Black |3TB WD Green NAS x2
    Sapphire R9-290x | SeasonicX 650 | NXZT H440 | Asus PB278Q | Razor Naga Molten Edition | CM Quick Fire Rapid TK
    Asus Xonar Essense STX | Presonus E5 x2 | Takstar HiFi 2050's

  17. #57
    Scarab Lord Noobadin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,023
    Well good for her, hopefully she gets whatever it is she's looking for out of life.

    I really don't get the point of your title. I can't see why anyone should feel bad about themselves because of what some 14 year old does. You can always find someone smarter and more successful than yourself or anyone else for that matter.

  18. #58
    Why can't we just say "Good on ya kid" and move on. We don't really have to tear everything down to bits.

    Also, pretty bad inferiority complex you suffer from OP.

  19. #59
    Pit Lord Waaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,404
    What is with all of the depressing shit in this thread. Just because someone is smart doesn't mean they are like Sheldon Cooper. Everyone is good at different things, I didn't understand anything she said but that doesn't mean I'm stupid, I've just never studied chemistry....
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr
    I thought doing the toothpaste-tube-squeeze and vigorous shake was the "traditional" way.

  20. #60
    That's pretty insane. With the proposed solutions she's given, doesn't this deserve global fame, a nobel prize, something? Solving this issue is at least as important as curing cancer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •