Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    College at 15? Sure she will get along great with everyone else in their 20's.....
    How many social events were you invited to at the age of 14? Go to many nightclubs or bars with your "peers"?
    And she has to conform to your idea of what counts because? How do you know she values the same things in friendship as you? How do you know the people she will interact with value the same things as you? How do you know that she wont get along very well with the people she interacts with based on (something i find most valuable in a friendship) common interests.
    Last edited by Frah; 2012-11-27 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I dunno. I'm not an organic chemist. Do you walk into a lab at work and just fiddle with stuff all day while a bar fills up and when that bar fills a cure for a disease appears in your backpack?
    Well, the key part is farming up the Motes of Science beforehand. If you don't do that, the shit's just greyed out.

(I was joking, in case it's not clear)

10+ Year Old Account
    She will commit suicide at the age of 24 because she isn't getting the attention and high amounts of praise that she's getting now. A bit like that lindsay lohan skank, except she's not dead. Or in any way brainy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligier View Post
    She will commit suicide at the age of 24 because she isn't getting the attention and high amounts of praise that she's getting now. A bit like that lindsay lohan skank, except she's not dead. Or in any way brainy.

Ouch.... That's kind of dark.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I feel sorry for her, fancy not having any friends at all at her age. All the kids her age are dumb fucks to her, she cannot relate at all. Everyone with the same level of qualifications are 10+ years older than her and dont want to hang around with a kid. She will have problems later in life I am sure, she has my sympathies.
    I have an IQ of around 175 and have never had problems relating to people with an IQ of around 100. IQ is of limited use when talking to people about things like movies, television, working out, or your family. Yeah, so I can understand scientific and dense literature better than most anyone I know. Just because I understand it or even find it interesting at times does not mean I want to talk about it often. I prefer to talk to people about a football game, my family, or my relationships. Science and philosophy gets boring really fast as there is limited purpose to talking to people about it. I tend to find people who have an IQ of about 140 to be incredibly dull and boring. They rarely have anything of interest to add to a conversation other than facts. Rarely are intelligent people willing to talk about things I cannot read in a textbook.

Look, this girl finds science interesting and probably enjoyed her research quite a lot. That does not mean her scientific curiosity encompasses her. Maybe she likes video games. Maybe she likes fashion (unlikely given how unkempt she is). Maybe she has a strong affinity towards God. Intelligence speaks to a person's ability to learn and process information. It does not speak to how well someone relates to others or what their hobbies are.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-27 at 11:19 PM.

Sure, she will have a rewarding career, but not a childhood. Michael Jackson springs to mind here.
    It's no different than the children who grow up in a household where the parents are obsessed with his/her future and college education, even though the kid can barely walk, which is quite frequent today.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I have no idea at all what you're trying to say. Researchers work hard to solve problems, are not paid impressive salaries by any reasonable standard, and tend to be quite smart. Most aren't in line to ever profit from their work in any substantial way, they do it because they like science.

The problem of inventing a better water purifier (of which there are many designs) is just something that's much more amenable to simple, clever solutions than biomedical research.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 06:06 PM ----------

Well, at least now I know what I've been doing wrong!
    Researchers do work hard. I never said otherwise. And they find new ways. But those new ways do not necessarily have to make it into the market. And when I say "pharmaceutical industry" I am not talking about the researchers. I am talking about those who represent them. The lobbyists. I am talking about human scum whose only "raison d'être" is to augment money by selling the "right" product to the "right" people.

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay09 View Post
    Researchers do work hard. I never said otherwise. And they find new ways. But those new ways do not necessarily have to make it into the market. And when I say "pharmaceutical industry" I am not talking about the researchers. I am talking about those who represent them. The lobbyists. I am talking about human scum whose only "raison d'être" is to augment money by selling the "right" product to the "right" people.
    If this is the case, researchers should be receiving an awful lot of hush money, since we don't willingly forgo publication. I can't seem to find my hush money check anywhere though.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    I have an IQ of around 175 and have never had problems relating to people with an IQ of around 100. IQ is of limited use when talking to people about things like movies, television, working out, or your family. Yeah, so I can understand scientific and dense literature better than most anyone I know. Just because I understand it or even find it interesting at times does not mean I want to talk about it often. I prefer to talk to people about a football game, my family, or my relationships. Science and philosophy gets boring really fast as there is limited purpose to talking to people about it. I tend to find people who have an IQ of about 140 to be incredibly dull and boring. They rarely have anything of interest to add to a conversation other than facts. Rarely are intelligent people willing to talk about things I cannot read in a textbook.

Look, this girl finds science interesting and probably enjoyed her research quite a lot. That does not mean her scientific curiosity encompasses her. Maybe she likes video games. Maybe she likes fashion (unlikely given how unkempt she is). Maybe she has a strong affinity towards God. Intelligence speaks to a person's ability to learn and process information. It does not speak to how well someone relates to others or what their hobbies are.
    You have an IQ of 175 rofl. Over 140 is considered genius. You're definitely not 175.

Don't want to be a jerk, smart kids are wonderful and all, but when was the last time a "world problem" was solved by some smart person through the sheer power of their intellect? I think people misunderstand the nature of the world's problems. And the role intelligent people play in society.

I mean, to take an example one of the few "geniuses" most people would know (there have been some amazing geniuses in human history and most of them nobody has ever heard of unless they took a course in the history of science or something) would be Einstein. He made some huge contributions to Physics, but what did he ever do that had a serious impact on "world problems"? There were certainly plenty of them around in his time! He helped create the atomic bomb... does that actually count as contributing to "world problems"? He did feel terrible about it though...

Meanwhile the big movers and shakers of the world are and always have been frankly pretty dim. If anything high intelligence tends to isolate you and makes it difficult for you to get into a position of great influence.

P.S. Just responding to the concept behind the thread title, nothing against the kid herself. Also, playing video games is awesome :P

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Good for her. She probably has a high IQ. Let's hope she uses it properly in the future.
    You know, an IQ is just a measure of your current "intelligence" (more like problem solving ability... actually an IQ is really a measure of your ability to do IQ tests), it's not some kind of gift from God. You can increase your IQ through study and self-improvement, if you are sufficiently committed. Maybe it's easier for some people than others but it's not something you're either born with or will never have.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Holyhands View Post
    You have an IQ of 175 rofl. Over 140 is considered genius. You're definitely not 175.
    Depends what "IQ test" he took. They aren't nearly as standardised as people seem to think they are. There's like a million things claiming to be "IQ tests" on the internet for example.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I started college part time when I was 12, full time at 13, and it was basically fine. There wasn't really much for bumps in the road, and everyone just treated me as a peer (although I got a lot of the obvious questions). It's really just not that big of a deal.
    But that defeats the main purpose of college, which is to get drunk every night and sleep with hot college girls!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Seriously what the hell.

This kid is practically qualified for a BS in materials science.
    I was playing video games starting about 9, and now I'm 35, and I'm going to play XCOM right after this post, how sad is that?

Good for her, people like me, need people like her to drag humanity forward, as we kick and scream and hold on to our video games.

She's talking about pretty basic stuff here.
    Not that amazing as everyone seems to think.

How many social events were you invited to at the age of 14? Go to many nightclubs or bars with your "peers"?
    I am 29 and have never been to a night club or bar. With our without my peers. Not sure what your point is. Not all people go to bars or night clubs.

Also, I at 14 was dating my now husband who was 19. We liked pretty much that same things. So did his friends. I hung out with them when I was at his house.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyhands View Post
    I am quite aware.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    I was playing video games starting about 9, and now I'm 35, and I'm going to play XCOM right after this post, how sad is that?

Good for her, people like me, need people like her to drag humanity forward, as we kick and scream and hold on to our video games.
    Hey it's all about doing what you enjoy in life, what else is there to it? I was playing with computers and playing video games at 14 and I'm still doing the same today lol and I'm 21.

Well good for her, hopefully she gets whatever it is she's looking for out of life.

I really don't get the point of your title. I can't see why anyone should feel bad about themselves because of what some 14 year old does. You can always find someone smarter and more successful than yourself or anyone else for that matter.

Why can't we just say "Good on ya kid" and move on. We don't really have to tear everything down to bits.

Also, pretty bad inferiority complex you suffer from OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is with all of the depressing shit in this thread. Just because someone is smart doesn't mean they are like Sheldon Cooper. Everyone is good at different things, I didn't understand anything she said but that doesn't mean I'm stupid, I've just never studied chemistry....
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

That's pretty insane. With the proposed solutions she's given, doesn't this deserve global fame, a nobel prize, something? Solving this issue is at least as important as curing cancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Her idea there is just at a chemical level - needs to be upped to include filtering out debris too. Simple process, but she'll have to re-do the jug since she had the concern of weight.

Nonetheless, an incredibly bright and talented kid!
    Last edited by Daedius; 2012-11-28 at 05:17 AM.