Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 37.50%
  • No

70 62.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It depends on how you look at it. Depending on the definition you use, it can be considered a sport. I consider it to be a sport, but I can understand why some people wouldn't.
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

Quote Originally Posted by dahorst View Post
    Most people do But then explain to me how e.g. "curling" is physically more demanding then e.g. Starcraft at 300 apm
    Curling requires a person to be somewhat physically fit and active, when a 300 apm starcraft player can be an obese 400lbs bag of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Archery and skateboarding would require athleticism. Darts, not so much. Snooker/Pool/Billiards, no.
    Golf?

Just saying... Sport has a requisite of skill OR physical prowess. You don't *have* to get sweaty
    >SIX A-BONG SIX A-BONG OLLY JOLLY IT'S SIX-A-BONG

Looking up the word sport in my language gives the roughly translated definition: Sport is a collective term for activities with an element of competition.

So yes video games can be a sport.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

I don't consider video-gaming a sport not even a little
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

according to the wiki definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport
    It is

Brewmaster
    If you include say snooker as a sport then yes. If you don't. Honestly I don't really care what the definition is tbh.

According to the definition it's a mind or mental sport but regardless it's a form of a sport regardless of what some people say it fits a category for sports.
    Intel I5-2500k @4.8Ghz| Noctua NH-U9B | Asus P67 Deluxe | 16GB G.SKILL Ares 2133Mhz
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB/1TB | 512GB MX100 | 1TB WD Black x2 | 2TB WD Black |3TB WD Green NAS x2
    Sapphire R9-290x | SeasonicX 650 | NXZT H440 | Asus PB278Q | Razor Naga Molten Edition | CM Quick Fire Rapid TK
    Asus Xonar Essense STX | Presonus E5 x2 | Takstar HiFi 2050's

No, it's an activity

It depends on your definition of "sports" entirely. It can go both ways imo. Should of made a third option :P

I suppose it depends on which definition you choose.

If you define it as: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc. The obvious answer is no.

If you define it as: diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime. The answer would be yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    absolutely not.

not even close.

and no, chess isn't a sport either.
    Chess is an official sport, just like shooting a gun at the olympics apparently was >.>

So by those stats i would say E-Sports is just as much as sport as the other things.

I always viewed sport as being physical, so in my opinion, no.

Since I consider shooting a sport yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dahorst View Post
    So I guess for you sport implies a physical focus, right?
    If you can't get a concussion doing it, its not a sport.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    If you can't get a concussion doing it, its not a sport.
    Hmm, I bet you could give yourself a concussion playing a video game.

Not an athletic sport. Which is the distinction being failed here by replies.

However, by English definition video games so structured can be considered as such:

Sport [spawrt, spohrt]
    — n (sometimes qualified by good, bad, etc )
    1. an individual or group activity pursued for exercise or pleasure, often involving the testing of physical capabilities and taking the form of a competitive game such as football, tennis, etc
    2. such activities considered collectively
    3. any particular pastime indulged in for pleasure
    4. the pleasure derived from a pastime, esp hunting, shooting, or fishing: we had good sport today

no definition of "sport" says it has to be physical. playing Starcraft on a pro level is indeed a sport. mental awareness and the dexterity you need with your fingers is astounding to the average person that most gamers just take for granted. this coming from a ex professional athlete.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

depends how you define sport, if by sport you mean physical activity, then no its not a sport.

i would call it an e-sport, it doesnt need any athleticism, or fitness, but still requires skill and dedication to be at the top.
    Too cool for a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Not an athletic sport. But by English definition video games so structured can be considered as such.

To wit~

Sport [spawrt, spohrt]
    — n (sometimes qualified by good, bad, etc )
    1. an individual or group activity pursued for exercise or pleasure, often involving the testing of physical capabilities and taking the form of a competitive game such as football, tennis, etc
    2. such activities considered collectively
    3. any particular pastime indulged in for pleasure
    4. the pleasure derived from a pastime, esp hunting, shooting, or fishing: we had good sport today
    The English language lost all credibility when it added "bling-bling" to its dictionary.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -