Poll: Is Video Gaming a sport

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I really don't think Bridge or Chess counts as a sport, no matter what the IOC says. And golf is questionable too.

Yes, they take skill, but they don't require any physical exertion.
    Point was that if the word sport is defined to include competitive video gaming and IOC recognizes games like Chess and Bridge as sports, who are you or anyone else here to say otherwise?

And for those not caring about the definition of the word it self because it doesn't fit what you think, it's like saying that WoW isn't a game but instead an apple because you don't care what the definition of the word 'game' is.

Deleted
    Depends totally on the game. For the most part imo what seals it is whether non-players watch it, and Starcraft is the only game that really manages that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, they take skill, but they don't require any physical exertion.
    So those dancing arcades (I guess they're called "Pump it Up") are a sport?

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I went with "no" in the poll, but I think the argument is semantic.

Video games are games. They fall under "leisure activities". A few games blur the lines but they are the exception, not the rule. The distinction between "game" and "sport" used to be very small, but I think we have defined them more strictly in the last half century. Ultimately it comes down to how you define the word sport.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    Sport- An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
    No, video games are not spots, but that doesn't mean they can't be played competitively(e-sports).
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    I went with "no" in the poll, but I think the argument is semantic.

Video games are games. They fall under "leisure activities". A few games blur the lines but they are the exception, not the rule. The distinction between "game" and "sport" used to be very small, but I think we have defined them more strictly in the last half century. Ultimately it comes down to how you define the word sport.
    "Sport" comes from the Old French desport meaning "leisure", with the oldest definition in English from around 1300 being "anything humans find amusing or entertaining".

Just sayin'.