1. #1

    Item upgrades: Worth it?

    So someone help me understand why anybody would use item upgrades. From what I gather, you gain 8 ilvl for 1500 valor points. Or, let's say you have a 476 ilvl item, you can pay an average of 1750 valor points to get a 489 ilvl one, so gain 13 ilvl. Even more if you have blues. That seems much more interesting. So basically, why would anyone use the upgrade feature until they are completely decked out in valor gear? Until then, it seems much more useful to just keep buying valor items, unless you really need specific stats on an item you already have and no valor item is a real upgrade for you.

    Why didn't they just keep valor points for item purchases, and then use justice points to upgrade them..

  2. #2
    they wanted VP to be useful to people who are raiding and getting normal and/or heroic gear

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by dendory View Post
    So someone help me understand why anybody would use item upgrades. From what I gather, you gain 8 ilvl for 1500 valor points. Or, let's say you have a 476 ilvl item, you can pay an average of 1750 valor points to get a 489 ilvl one, so gain 13 ilvl. Even more if you have blues. That seems much more interesting. So basically, why would anyone use the upgrade feature until they are completely decked out in valor gear? Until then, it seems much more useful to just keep buying valor items, unless you really need specific stats on an item you already have and no valor item is a real upgrade for you.

    Why didn't they just keep valor points for item purchases, and then use justice points to upgrade them..
    You can *also* use Justice points to upgrade them.

  4. #4
    I am Murloc! The Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Litwak's Arcade Sunny Scotland!
    Posts
    5,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiar View Post
    You can *also* use Justice points to upgrade them.
    I thought you could only use JP's to upgrade blues, not epics? Jp = upgrade blues VP= upgrade epics Or did I read that wrong?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    I thought you could only use JP's to upgrade blues, not epics? Jp = upgrade blues VP= upgrade epics Or did I read that wrong?
    Unless I'm missing some toggle in the UI, this is the way it works. I could not use JP to upgrade anything except my blues (Including not being able to upgrade the Holiday epics)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by PuliGT View Post
    Unless I'm missing some toggle in the UI, this is the way it works. I could not use JP to upgrade anything except my blues (Including not being able to upgrade the Holiday epics)
    Hmm... Apologies then, it was my understanding that JP functioned in effectively the same way. Well, if that's the case, I'm more-or-less with the OP on this then.

  7. #7
    Upgrading a melee weapon from 502 to 510 could be a very nice dps increase.

  8. #8
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London England
    Posts
    187
    Did you not answer your question when you said it would be useful to people already fully decked out in gear abnd cant upgrade with VP gear? What else are you going to spend your VP on?

  9. #9
    Is T15 content going to be tuned assuming you've upgraded your gear? That's the $64 question.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

  10. #10
    Because you can get item upgrades from raids that are better than valor gear.

  11. #11
    Valor gear (for my spec atleast) is itemised terribly, so I have only bought one piece of valor gear so far (a ring), being able to upgrade other stuff is amazing for that point.

  12. #12
    my darkmoon relic was BIS (or close) even at 476 ilvl. at 2/2, it almost certainly will be.

    so yes, quite worth it for specific items like trinkets or weapons.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •