Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New Chaos Bolt DOT?

Unmentioned in the patch notes, Grimoire of Sacrifice now adds a 25% DOT to Chaos Bolt. This DOT lasts 3 seconds, and refreshes back to maximum with multiple castings of Chaos Bolt. Refreshing this DOT wastes ticks and results in a DPS loss (important for Bloodlust times, for example).

Any idea if overall Chaos Bolt damage was reduced, or is this a pure buff?

The extra damage from GoS is that DoT

Deleted
    What a bad implementation ~~

What the hell? That dot sucks. O.o

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah so it made it in afterall. Not very surprising but still annoying for the Destro focused players. Anyone an idea if this will make Supremacy the better choice?

I barely have any haste and casting chaos bolts back to back overlaps the last tick :/ They couldn't even be bothered to make it stack or anything? lol

Deleted
    Wait, 3 second DoT on Chaos Bolt, CB has a 3 sec cast time (without haste, does it go down much with haste?) since we don't want to use it with Backdraft... Is there really that much of a problem? Seems like adding in an Immolate refresh if needed, or Incinerate between CBs. From a purely Patchwerk standpoint, ofc, but I've found that even Dark Soul has enough time to add in an Incinerate or two even when bursting 4 CBs back to back. It's to stop Warlocks from having too much burst at once, in my guess, which is why it doesn't stack.

Also, there's been lashings on this topic before, OP, you can find relevent data there.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Ultima View Post
    Wait, 3 second DoT on Chaos Bolt, CB has a 3 sec cast time (without haste, does it go down much with haste?) since we don't want to use it with Backdraft... Is there really that much of a problem? Seems like adding in an Immolate refresh if needed, or Incinerate between CBs. From a purely Patchwerk standpoint, ofc, but I've found that even Dark Soul has enough time to add in an Incinerate or two even when bursting 4 CBs back to back. It's to stop Warlocks from having too much burst at once, in my guess, which is why it doesn't stack.

Also, there's been lashings on this topic before, OP, you can find relevent data there.
    You have to be careful is all. Under blood lust my chaos bolts are 2 seconds and travel time is about .3 to the boss. Meaning that I have to toss in an incinerate between Chaos bolts, however, this also removes a bit of the burst potential of the spec for GoSac because even with base haste, I can't cast two chaos bolts back to back without clipping the last dot and they don't stack, pandemic doesn't apply, and its pretty much wrath all over again.
    Soulburn: Unstable Affliction. A boy can dream.

the real question is, how come none of the hidden changes are reflected on the patch notes, strange.

Deleted
    Does it Havoc the DoT aswell if you Havoc a CB?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baenesur View Post
    Does it Havoc the DoT aswell if you Havoc a CB?
    Yes you fire two bolts thus the second bot will also create the dot

In case you haven't noticed the dot is a magic effect and therefore dispellable...

That kinda stinks..i dont play destuction anymore but that actually is a PvE nerf...you hit your trinket and pot and DI, and you have 15 or 20 seconds to cast 4 Chaos bolts, but now dispite having a huge amount of haste making it a much shorter then 3 second cast time, you have to space them out, and quite possibly not get the full effect depending on mechanics that makes you move or slow casting.

This change isnt PvP only is it?

Deleted
    Although yes it does mean we'll have to pay a bit of attention and watch out during bloodlusts - this was a pure ADDITION, correct? (rather than them sapping 25% off the initial impact and adding it as a DoT)

Meaning we've just gained some extra dmg, I see this as only upside, extra damage! Ofc yes, to min/max it you'll have to pay attention a bit during periods of BL.

Even though the implementation is a bit clunky, if you just spammed 4 x CBs at 2 second cast time during BL causing dot clipping, you'll still be getting more damage out of it than you would pre 5.1
    Last edited by mmocb330372c0f; 2012-11-28 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katallo View Post
    Although yes it does mean we'll have to pay a bit of attention and watch out during bloodlusts - this was a pure ADDITION, correct? (rather than them sapping 25% off the initial impact and adding it as a DoT)
    They chopped off the extra 25% from the initial impact and added it as the dot. We do the same damage as before, we just can't chain CBs anymore if we want to do the full damage...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    They chopped off the extra 25% from the initial impact and added it as the dot. We do the same damage as before, we just can't chain CBs anymore if we want to do the full damage...
    Oh :/

I imagine this is a PvP nerf then.

Quote Originally Posted by Katallo View Post
    Oh :/

I imagine this is a PvP nerf then.
    I'm pretty sure that's the intention but it's also a PvE nerf, which is pretty annoying given that it's already a fairly niche spec in PvE that relies on you being able to do what they've just broken to maximise your dps.

Ohai there, chaos bolt hitting like a wet noodle in comparison to before ( in pvp ), I used to pop DS/trinket and chaos bolt a person with elements on them for roughly 180k more or less, the person had resi around 60% mitigation, I tested this today and my CB dealt 100k+( some extra numbers in there) , with full cds on a 60% resi target.
    73k without cds.

I have around 20500 SP with DI up, 54% pvp power ( after 5.1) , full mastery reforged , crit at almost 12%, I'm usingT2 weap.

this is just horrid tbh, at least they should've lowered the cast time on CB, the dot is ridiculous, it's dispellable and easily outhealable.

the only thing that makes destro seem more fun now is KJC, but still CB damage in comparison to it's cast time is way off.

Maybe Supremecy is the way to go for PvE then ?

Still really annoying that they didn't mention it in the patch notes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxoffender View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's the intention but it's also a PvE nerf, which is pretty annoying given that it's already a fairly niche spec in PvE that relies on you being able to do what they've just broken to maximise your dps.
    Just out of curiosity, wondering how this would be a PVE DPS nerf? I don't know much about destro playstyle so actually curious.