Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Because the Dot is badly implemented and you lose ticks if you chain Chaos Bolts ><

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Just out of curiosity, wondering how this would be a PVE DPS nerf? I don't know much about destro playstyle so actually curious.
    Two-Fold:

1) Cast chaos bolt on an add that dies before the DoT finishes.

2) The DoT component doesn't function like a DoT in that it refreshes. Instead casting a chaos bolt and having it land while the DoT from a previous one on the target causes you to lose one or more DoT ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Just out of curiosity, wondering how this would be a PVE DPS nerf? I don't know much about destro playstyle so actually curious.
    Before the nerf, you did the 25% bonus dmg directly, now it's a dot that takes 3 seconds to do its full effect.

With haste (which you pretty much can't avoid on gear) you will clip the dot (aka refresh it before it can do its full effect) if you chaincast chaosbolts.

And you want to chaincast chaosbolts in a lot of situations (even in PvE) because a) it gives you great burst to bring down adds etc. quickly and b) you can line it up with even short trinket-buffs/proccs.

Now, you will have to cast another spell (incinerate) in between chaosbolts which is disadvantagous for lining up your chaosbolts with your proccs or bursting adds etc.

In the meanwhile, frost bomb can shatter ur whole team without beeing addressed. At the same time, combustions does roughly 18% more damage because of the 100% (a flat dps boost for mage its a compensation) damage taken from ignite.

Went from 350k crits to 250k or something....nice ninja nerf. Hating the new Demo / affli, this ninja nerf is anoying.
    New visual on burning rush is nice though.

So many changes not documented in this patchnote :s...this and taking away the Warlock quest from green fire with no garantee to see 100% of it in 5.2...

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Went from 350k crits to 250k or something....nice ninja nerf. Hating the new Demo / affli, this ninja nerf is anoying.
    New visual on burning rush is nice though.

So many changes not documented in this patchnote :s...this and taking away the Warlock quest from green fire with no garantee to see 100% of it in 5.2...
    How is it a nerf exactly? You still do the damage in the DoT portion of the spell.

Quote Originally Posted by neubs986 View Post
    How is it a nerf exactly? You still do the damage in the DoT portion of the spell.
    Look literally 5 posts above.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    Look literally 5 posts above.
    I get that, but re-read the post I quoted. He was complaining that it didn't hit as hard, and alleged THAT was the nerf.

Overall, it's not a nerf if you don't override the last tick.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 06:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    Before the nerf, you did the 25% bonus dmg directly, now it's a dot that takes 3 seconds to do its full effect.

With haste (which you pretty much can't avoid on gear) you will clip the dot (aka refresh it before it can do its full effect) if you chaincast chaosbolts.

And you want to chaincast chaosbolts in a lot of situations (even in PvE) because a) it gives you great burst to bring down adds etc. quickly and b) you can line it up with even short trinket-buffs/proccs.

Now, you will have to cast another spell (incinerate) in between chaosbolts which is disadvantagous for lining up your chaosbolts with your proccs or bursting adds etc.
    It's not that bad, tbh. DS is 20 seconds, chain casting 4 CBs will take 12 seconds, MAX. Giving you 8 seconds to fire off 3 incinerates and/or immolates. At other times, we'll being using 2 or so at most, so it's not that big of a deal. I think we'll manage.
    Last edited by Xorn; 2012-11-29 at 06:52 AM.

I don't mind them nerfing or changing how destro works, but they shouldn't be playing with weaker class when we have mages running around incinerating the world. I liked competing on damage meters, but this is ridiculous.

Deleted
    It's not that bad, tbh. DS is 20 seconds, chain casting 4 CBs will take 12 seconds, MAX. Giving you 8 seconds to fire off 3 incinerates and/or immolates. At other times, we'll being using 2 or so at most, so it's not that big of a deal. I think we'll manage.
    But a large part of the CB casts should be made during the intersection of buffs (Engineering gloves, Jade Spirit, the Orc Racial, trinkets...). It was already hard to sync these buffs but now the timing is even shorter and often impossible because you lose 1-2 sec between each CB. This Dot has to be improved.

Deleted
    Another slap in the face for PvE destro players because people couldnt hit their interupt button in pvp.

Thanks fuckers.

Deleted
    US players should bring this problem up loudly on the official forums, it shouldn't be hard to fix...

It sounds like everyone is surprised by this when very recently one of the warlock class designers got fired for stating chaos bolt would be nerfed right here on the warlock forums.

I imagine most ppl posting in this thread didn't catch that but trust me, chaos bolt nerf was inc and here it is. Hopefully they improve it and allow dot rolling though.

This is what happens when people whine about mythical 500k one shots to people in pvp gear that never really actually happened. They should've just lowered the cast time and addressed the damage accordingly but it doesn't seem like blizzard likes doing math or work for that matter..

Sure it was a lot of damage, but i'm sure in that 3 sec window a warrior or mage could do as much or more. As an afterthought if the dot stacked it would've been interesting as well.

Deleted
    Thing is, it could have been worse. They could have nerfed Chaos Bolt damage by, say 5% or 10%, period. Just because it does too much damage in PvP.

As of now, you lose a maximum of 1/3 of 25% of Chaos Bolt damage, so that's around 8% damage (assuming the dot ticks 3 times, every second and you lose the last tick by clipping it). And as far as I can understand from these posts (haven't tried it myself yet) it only happens when chain casting Chaos Bolts during Bloodlust.

Sure it sucks, and as Zumzum said, it's not hard for them to fix it. There are several possibilities even. They could make it work like Ignite, where the damage of the dots is simply added. Or they could make the Chaos Bolt dot work with Pandemic (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=131973), which would allow the dot to have up to 4 total ticks (enough to solve the problem). Or, they could make it scale with your spell haste, in which case, the faster the Chaos Bolt cast time, the shorter the dot duration (with 0 haste, both the Chaos Bolt cast time and the dot duration are both 3 seconds).

I'm sure if Xelnath was here he would've thought of something to avoid this issue...

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    the real question is, how come none of the hidden changes are reflected on the patch notes, strange.
    NO CLUE, you would figure if it had to do with somethint that does damage it would be stated in the notes, I've been reading that some warrior ability was nerfed, and also noticed the graphic for remorseless winter has changed to deep freeze....

Apparently patch notes m r hard.

Quote Originally Posted by neubs986 View Post
    I get that, but re-read the post I quoted. He was complaining that it didn't hit as hard, and alleged THAT was the nerf.

Overall, it's not a nerf if you don't override the last tick.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 06:47 AM ----------

The question was not if the sky is falling or "we will manage" (, though Destruction is still struggling in PvE), the question is HOW (and probably if) it is a nerf.

1 min. trinkets have a 10 sec buff, a lot of proccs are not longer than 10 or 12 seconds max (tailoring "enchant", Jade Spirit . . . ) so it IS a nerf overall.

I like Daxx, but he's over on the forums saying "Whoops, some things just slip through." I don't believe a class balance change like this can just slip through the cracks. Sometimes with overlapping procs you can end up with 10 seconds or less to burst your CBs. So I'm sure this is more of a PvP nerf, but this still lowers the already lowest lock spec in PvE.

Deleted
    The Dot is fine actually (except for the times where the Dot won't have the time to tick because the target is dead/friendly/disappeared)
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post19263166

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    Ohai there, chaos bolt hitting like a wet noodle in comparison to before ( in pvp ), I used to pop DS/trinket and chaos bolt a person with elements on them for roughly 180k more or less, the person had resi around 60% mitigation, I tested this today and my CB dealt 100k+( some extra numbers in there) , with full cds on a 60% resi target.
    73k without cds.

I have around 20500 SP with DI up, 54% pvp power ( after 5.1) , full mastery reforged , crit at almost 12%, I'm usingT2 weap.

this is just horrid tbh, at least they should've lowered the cast time on CB, the dot is ridiculous, it's dispellable and easily outhealable.

the only thing that makes destro seem more fun now is KJC, but still CB damage in comparison to it's cast time is way off.
    73k with that gear? I really don't believe you i'm afraid, i've only got 2 pieces dreadful and rest contender 463 heroic gear and the only time i've seen it drop that low was on a warrior who was clearly in def stance.