Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Which gear should I upgrade first in 5.1?

So, we are progressing on HoF heroics I have a mixture of normal and heroic gear. The thing is I have really bad luck on 1-handed weapon drops (gotta love RNG) Currently using Kilrak x2 (LFR) Should I go ahead and spent 2x 750 on upgrading the LFR weapons or upgrade BiS Heroic items instead?

Weapon!! as Dual Wield Main Hand first.

Your weapons DPS is about 50-70% of your combined weaponDPS, depending on buffs/procs etc. Same goes for MH+OH. No other slot comes close to this DPSboost.

Weapons and trinkets.

Unless you're hoping to push world firsts come 5.2, the upgrade system is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Salted Beef View Post
    Weapons and trinkets.

Unless you're hoping to push world firsts come 5.2, the upgrade system is irrelevant.
    Absolutely false. If you want to progress your character you do not need to be at the top. Hell you can be at the bottom and still want character progression. That's the core of this genre.

My philosophy is that you should upgrade the gear you'll have the longest. I started with my Darkmoon Card trinket.

weapons assuming you're sitting on at least 489's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekked View Post
    weapons assuming you're sitting on at least 489's.
    You didnt even try reading the whole first post did you?

I would do trinkets first then weps. See if maybe you can get lucky and get better ones. I personally am doing the same thing and am in the same position right now

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephrius View Post
    So, we are progressing on HoF heroics I have a mixture of normal and heroic gear. The thing is I have really bad luck on 1-handed weapon drops (gotta love RNG) Currently using Kilrak x2 (LFR) Should I go ahead and spent 2x 750 on upgrading the LFR weapons or upgrade BiS Heroic items instead?
    Hi Sephirus , i had bad luck with weps aswell , only last night i got the 496 1h from Un'sok. I am using that + lfr ellegon axe. I had the same dillema and i decided to wait for clears , maybe i will get weps and after decide wich gear to upgrade.

Any suggestions for me? We're farming N MSV and are working through HoF, but have had really crappy tank attendance these past two weeks, so our progression has slowed and heroic aspirations are on pause. I don't want to upgrade Elegion because I just know as soon as I do, I'm gonna get two sha touched 2h drops.

Anyways, currently have my Carb Carb upgraded and considering what to do with the rest. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's simple - do not upgrade anything unless you need to do so to avoid VP capping until you get the 5.1 rep trinket and upgrade it. That thing is BiS but it costs 1750 valor and needs revered with 5.1 faction.

I'd say the obvious choices to avoid VP capping would be any 496 offpieces or tier you have (in your case, the legs), but trinkets (DMC) and GOOD (not normal MSV) weapons first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Deleted
    Everyone is saying upgrade weapons and i obviously understand the reason. because of weapon damage increase, but looking at my upgraded dmf card (waiting for a cleaver from ele hc or a 496 before i upgrade weapon) I see that the proc didn't change so i only gained about 80str.. Huge fail of me imo. My point is does the weapons actually get a higher weapon damage? Or does it just get more stats, can any of you confirm the weapon dmg increase?

tried upgrading a blue and the weapon damage increased so i guess it should be the same with epics.

If you don't have terrible weapons, upgrade your MH, the added DPS is the heaviest stat weight you have making it the biggest DPS increase.

Consider saving for the trinket, too.
    Last edited by Adsertif; 2012-11-28 at 04:25 PM.
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OscaR View Post
    tried upgrading a blue and the weapon damage increased so i guess it should be the same with epics.
    Awesome, thx for the answer.

To people who did not read my post, before you go upgrading trinkets just remember that (unless there is a tooltip error) the proc does not become stronger and that passive stat bonus is not very high compared to almost every other item.

Thanks for confirming that, I was thinking about upgrading my Xuen Relic before I did so to my 496 Scimitar (which with the weapon DPS increase is a ~500DPS difference). Even with considering the passive strength from the proc being upgraded.
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    It's simple - do not upgrade anything unless you need to do so to avoid VP capping until you get the 5.1 rep trinket and upgrade it. That thing is BiS but it costs 1750 valor and needs revered with 5.1 faction.

I'd say the obvious choices to avoid VP capping would be any 496 offpieces or tier you have (in your case, the legs), but trinkets (DMC) and GOOD (not normal MSV) weapons first.
    Clear, concise, and thorough answer as always. And nice transmog for your axe btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Furypie View Post
    Everyone is saying upgrade weapons and i obviously understand the reason. because of weapon damage increase, but looking at my upgraded dmf card (waiting for a cleaver from ele hc or a 496 before i upgrade weapon) I see that the proc didn't change so i only gained about 80str.. Huge fail of me imo. My point is does the weapons actually get a higher weapon damage? Or does it just get more stats, can any of you confirm the weapon dmg increase?
    your proc increased as well. it isn't a huge difference in the proc though. This for some reason is not shown in the upgrade window. you can easily go to: http://www.wowhead.com/item=79327 and see the various different procs. The item itself also changes in game

weapons do gain weapon dps, it clearly shows that in the upgrade menu

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, stupid 1% trash drops.

Don't forget you can upgrade your PvP gear too, used 750 conq on my legs today. Don't use it on something that you could replace in raid w/ 496 gear easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Oh yah, forgot I still had CP hands...shhhh, don't tell my raid leader though.