Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    That is not what the 14th amendment states.

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

It clearly says that no "State" cannot do etc. It makes no reference to the federal government and the federal government is therefore not bound to the equal protection clause.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolling_v._Sharpe

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 07:38 AM ----------

Inbefore one guy marries 800 woman and they each qualify for social security benefits based on the $10,000,000 salaray per year he was making.
    There is a qualitative difference between defining a contract as "two people" and defining a contract as "a man and a woman"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkacid View Post
    Gays are by definition "freaks" and their behavior should not be encouraged. I don't say that out of hatred for gay people, I say that because it's true.
    Wow that's pretty brutal. I'm generally a pretty conservative individual, but I don't view my gay friends as "freaks." If you really want to look at gay men and women that way, then I'd honestly have to say we're all freaks. We all have our little unique weird traits that make us who we are. Hell, even if you want to limit the discussion to just sexual deviancy, I'd say most if not all people are "freaks" if they have all their little sexual fetishes and fantasies revealed to the world to see. Fifty Shades of Gray, anyone? I know I have my own weird ones (okay, who isn't attracted to giant anime catgirls? Anyone? Uh...well that just made this awkward). I wouldn't dare to judge someone just because they like to get down and dirty with the same sex.

I refuse to be held responsible for the Supreme Court rewriting the Constitution to say whatever it wishes whenever it wishes to do so. There is sadly no check against the power of the Supreme Court doing so since the Supreme Court usurped the power of judicial review which was not given to it within the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    There is a qualitative difference between defining a contract as "two people" and defining a contract as "a man and a woman"
    Discrimination against the polygamists? Isn't that as bad as against the gays?
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

I refuse to be held responsible for the Supreme Court rewriting the Constitution to say whatever it wishes whenever it wishes to do so. There is sadly no check against the power of the Supreme Court doing so since the Supreme Court usurped the power of judicial review which was not given to it within the Constitution.
    Judicial review is required to do what they do. How do you determine what is Constitutional before you decide what the Constitution says?
    Constraining the number of people who can engage in a contract has nothing to do with the nature of the people entering into the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    I'd really prefer that this be an issue left to the states. It gives people time to see that this isn't the apocalypse. You do have to respect that this a very core fundamental belief that you are asking people to change.
    Except that because of the clause requiring one state to recognize the authority of another state, it must have a federal ruling. And if it were somehow left to the states (and I'm not criticizing you, many people don't know about that clause), we'd have all the conservative asshat states violating the rights of millions.

It's the same reason the voter laws are federal (the major ones) - to prevent people from being discriminated against.
    The less you know, the more you believe.

Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hate, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

Really, people are just born polygamist? Are we seriously trying to equate polygamy to being gay? Gays can be polygamist too you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    What I find interesting about this whole marriage thing... Marriage isn't Christian, it isn't some type of holy communion, unless you WANT it to be. You can get married in a court house with no ties to any church or pastor and no speeches to God or anything. Yet we are allowing government to define marriage under a Christian order? This makes no damn sense. Especially in a country that has separation between church and state IN THE FUCKING CONSTITUTION!
    It seems people can get married, and its no big deal. It is a big deal and should last for a lifetime. Marriage should provide a stable foundation to create more people, and loving parents to stick together for themselves and for their kids. The kids are always the ones left out of this discussion, so many people don't give a damn about them. How many people were "accidents," how many kids have had their parents break off and have more sexual partners for their selfish needs. The biggest problem is people's selfishness. Also with a lot of sexual acts themselves, can cause serious damage to a person, it doesn't matter is the people are female or male.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Just define Marriage by human beings so we can end it.
    And what happens when aliens arrive? You going to deny me my right?

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius565 View Post
    It seems people can get married, and its no big deal. It is a big deal and should last for a lifetime. Marriage should provide a stable foundation to create more people, and loving parents to stick together for themselves and for their kids. The kids are always the ones left out of this discussion, so many people don't give a damn about them. How many people were "accidents," how many kids have had their parents break off and have more sexual partners for their selfish needs. The biggest problem is people's selfishness. Also with a lot of sexual acts themselves, can cause serious damage to a person, it doesn't matter is the people are female or male.
    Marriage isn't a foundation to create more people, that's your interpretation which honestly shouldn't mean much to anyone. Marriage = people who want to be together for their lives and go the customary route of getting married and being a legally recognized couple. I was an accident, I have amazingly loving parents who were just about perfect and a lot of people envy my relationship with them. So whatever point you're trying to make here, is lost.

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    And what happens when aliens arrive? You going to deny me my right?

Yes, my the power of the Light I shall deny it!
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Judicial review is required to do what they do. How do you determine what is Constitutional before you decide what the Constitution says?
    Constraining the number of people who can engage in a contract has nothing to do with the nature of the people entering into the contract.
    The power of judicial review is constitutionally left to the states under the tenth amendment. The power is not granted to the federal government and is therefore reserved to the states as it is not an essential power for the Supreme Court to have as the supreme federal court.

I'm going to bow out of the conversation then. If people want to just fight for gay marriage but refuse to also give support for polygamist marriage to also be legalized (something I would never do and would not want an individual to do just so you know I don't have a bone in this fight one way or the other), then they show themselves to be like the entitlement people from the last thread that I just got done arguing with. You only want something, some liberty (gay marriage), for yourselves but don't care about another group also wanting the same thing, the same liberty (polygamist marriage). When a group fights for something for itself instead of fighting for liberty for all and gives no care to those others who fight also for their own similar liberty, they lose their standing as fighting on principle, fighting for liberty. Fight for liberty, fight for principle, don't just fight for something you want to have, don't just fight for yourself. Fight for liberty for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Yes, my the power of the Light I shall deny it!
    No screwing Draenei for you!
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Marriage isn't a foundation to create more people, that's your interpretation which honestly shouldn't mean much to anyone. Marriage = people who want to be together for their lives and go the customary route of getting married and being a legally recognized couple. I was an accident, I have amazingly loving parents who were just about perfect and a lot of people envy my relationship with them. So whatever point you're trying to make here, is lost.
    Ok yeah, sex just does not matter in marriage anymore right? And with your definition, let us ban no fault divorce too, I whole heartily agree with banning that!! Would you not agree that parents should stay together? Like in marriage? If you don't then I don't know what else to say.

What does this have to do with anything? Is the implication here that gay couples can't properly raise well-adjusted children? Hell, you'd think the couples that can't reproduce naturally and *want* to be together because they *love* each other would be the first ones allowed to tie the knot.

Anyway, if you're giving rights and privileges to one group of people (straight couples) you cannot deny it to another (gay couples) based solely on "what I believe."

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    No screwing Draenei for you!

Too late!

Oh and...Marriage shoudn't be taken lightly.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

Ok yeah, sex just does not matter in marriage anymore right? And with your definition, let us ban no fault divorce too, I whole heartily agree with banning that!! Would you not agree that parents should stay together? Like in marriage? If you don't then I don't know what else to say.
    Sex does matter in most RELATIONSHIPS, marriage and otherwise. Not solely to create people but to connect. Did I say sex doesn't matter, or did I say creating people isn't the main concern. This isn't 1950.

Your whole post just makes no damn sense.

Uhm what? Marriage is a contract between two people. Also, did you say that lots of sex causes damage to people? Uhm... I was an accident, my parents went through a no-fault divorce, and fought for custody over me because they were both loving people. Both have remarried and stayed remarried (they married when they were young) and I have a couple half-siblings on each side. Why do you think that marriage has to last a lifetime? Why do you think you get you impose your personal beliefs upon me?

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    I'd really prefer that this be an issue left to the states. It gives people time to see that this isn't the apocalypse. You do have to respect that this a very core fundamental belief that you are asking people to change.[COLOR="red"]
    Sorry but there are a -ton- of federal level issues in which marriage effect. Equality shouldn't have to wait. Homosexual Americans cannot have their international life partners move to America, as immigration is a FEDERAL issue, and it only allows FEDERALLY recognized marriages. This is just one of the many, many examples. Leaving it to individual states is not a solution.

No one's "fundamental" beliefs should prevent 2 consenting adults from being together.

The power of judicial review is constitutionally left to the states under the tenth amendment.
    This is like saying that because the Constitution doesn't give the SC the authority to have an SC building they can't have one. The government cannot function unless it can do the things necessary and proper to the execution of its Constitutional duties.

A court cannot rule on the Constitutionality of a law if it can't determine what the Constitution says. How you think letting the 10th amendment apply to Constitutional interpretation would even work is a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    What does this have to do with anything? Is the implication here that gay couples can't properly raise well-adjusted children? Hell, you'd think the couples that can't reproduce naturally and *want* to be together because they *love* each other would be the first ones allowed to tie the knot.

Anyway, if you're giving rights and privileges to one group of people (straight couples) you cannot deny it to another (gay couples) based solely on "what I believe."
    Gay couples can not create humans, and humans should be raised by their parents. It is not based on "what I believe" it is biology.

Gay couples can not create humans, and humans should be raised by their parents. It is not based on "what I believe" it is biology.
    Wait gay people don't have functioning sex organs?