Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

so when they release tengu... (race speculation)

this will be their /dance

calling it now

ITT: race speculation and /dance for those races thread
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Tengu are based off Japanese folklore. Using this would be like saying, "I love JPop artists like Psy!"

Kabuki, that is all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
    Tengu are based off Japanese folklore. Using this would be like saying, "I love JPop artists like Psy!"

Kabuki, that is all.
    please, you know as well as i do that wow and TES are going to use this dance too
    The Original Ganksta

I can very well see wow using that dance but the Elder Scrolls? I can't see them putting in pop culture in their game.

Animal races are highly not popular. Charr has proven it well enough. And it's a good thing, since I hate them.
    My bet is Largos are going to be next playable race. GW2 lacks "elfs" of sort, and Largos are clearly these good looking humanoids, who's unique and interesting enough to become playable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tengus are already released in EVE Online
    Sorry, could not resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    please, you know as well as i do that wow and TES are going to use this dance too
    Blizzard would use it, but I don't think Bethesda is derp enough to use fads and pop culture references, at least in such an obvious way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentWolf View Post
    Animal races are highly not popular. Charr has proven it well enough. And it's a good thing, since I hate them.
    My bet is Largos are going to be next playable race. GW2 lacks "elfs" of sort, and Largos are clearly these good looking humanoids, who's unique and interesting enough to become playable.
    Etymologically spoken humans are animals as well and for their proclaimed superiority over less humanoid races they haven't proven to be the most lasting one. I would certainly hope for less humanoid races there are enough of them already. I am happy that there are no elves of that sort at all. That said Tengu would be interesting for sure.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    I can't even see how you can make that into a dance. they just do random stuff every once and a while in the video. I guess the hand thing with the skipping around would be something but you can't make an entire dance out of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
    Blizzard would use it, but I don't think Bethesda is derp enough to use fads and pop culture references, at least in such an obvious way.
    beth is publishing, not devving

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 06:18 AM ----------

sylvari are the "elves"

check original concept art, and the interview w/ jeff/ree about creating original races

also lets not forget anet has said that the tengu were a possible launch candidate but got cut for now

im pretty sure they have alot of stuff done for them to become PC's

not to mention tengu have large amounts of lore... largos dont
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-11-28 at 12:25 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Charr , the lore for them is very good , the looks, the militaristic theme, i love it.

15+ Year Old Account
    sylvari are the "elves"
    Yes, they are the ersatz race for those who want elves but without traditional elf theme that is being Masters of arcane magic, pre-dating all other races, usually some self-inflicted cataclysm, racial split so we can have dark(ish) elves, nimble, tall and quick with blade or bow and having Spock ears.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Yes, they are the ersatz race for those who want elves but without traditional elf theme that is being Masters of arcane magic, pre-dating all other races, usually some self-inflicted cataclysm, racial split so we can have dark(ish) elves, nimble, tall and quick with blade or bow and having Spock ears.
    "we want something new"

"its not the same enough"

also, predating all races? very possible, racial split? nightmare court, nimble? tall? spock ears? all check
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-11-28 at 01:01 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

Deleted
    Well, sylvari CAN have Spock ears

Deleted
    sylvari are supposed to be a head shorter than humans.

15+ Year Old Account
    "we want something new"

"its not the same enough"

also, predating all races? very possible, racial split? nightmare court, nimble? tall? spock ears? all check
    Not sure what you are referring to with "we want something new" and "its not the same enough". I am happy they are not your classical elves and that there are differences which may not immediately make a clearcut association with elves possible.

They are supposed to be the youngest race, in fact they are considering who created them anyway.

The nightmare court thing is probably the closest resemblance but it's a tricky one because it's closer to deep-rooted separatism than to a complete shift through self-inflicted cataclysm with a change in phenotype.

Nimble as in elves usually get traits enhancing their dexterous nature in form of dodging, stealth or other kind of physical evasion. The tallness was more a reference to classical high-elf themes not necessarily followed by any elven theme. Also lastly the ears are more of an option rather than mandatory thing. The very least elves aren't usually seen with mushroom coneheads which are possible as choice thanks to their botanical nature which brings me to another point: They are technically plants taking on humanoid form whereas in traditional themes you'd find elves being mammal vertebrates.

Hence why I said ersatz race.

Deleted
    Regarding the tengu, I was wondering, since we got to the island with the kraka, aren't they like... next to it? Shouldn't we be able to swim to their island or whatever they have there?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Regarding the tengu, I was wondering, since we got to the island with the kraka, aren't they like... next to it? Shouldn't we be able to swim to their island or whatever they have there?
    That would probably be against their "No tourists!" policy. Apparently they are also pretty xenophobic due to some past events. I guess even if you could they would shoot you on sight or do everything to make you leave.

Deleted
    What's tengu? never heard of it/them...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    That would probably be against their "No tourists!" policy. Apparently they are also pretty xenophobic due to some past events. I guess even if you could they would shoot you on sight or do everything to make you leave.
    As I recall they had more than one nasty war with the humans of cantha culminating in the final one that drove them from that land all together. I think technicly the lore only states they were expelled from cantha along with all other non humans but I dont really see that being done peacefully so I feel justified in presuming that one was a war. Cant blame them for having a no tourists policy considering the last humans that showed up uninvited in one of the tribes lands eventually took it over and drove them out.

Who is John Galt?