Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Tengus are already released in EVE Online
    Sorry, could not resist.
    Whelp this settles it, tengu is a rip off of eve tengu lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
    Blizzard would use it, but I don't think Bethesda is derp enough to use fads and pop culture references, at least in such an obvious way.
    Unfortunately bethesda is only the publisher for ESO, in the end it's up to zenimax online. Although I'm sure bethesda at least over see's what happens to the game, I dunno how much say they would have in anything.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2012-11-29 at 05:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we'll see another "beast" race if we do get another at all. I also find it unlikely for ANet to take as ridiculous of a course when it comes to dances with races as to include Gangnam.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    it's a pretty sure thing that Tengu and Kodan will eventually become playable. Since they are very popular among the community.

Deleted
    I know Arenanet have hinted that there would be, but I don't think there will be new playable races outside of paid expansions. It will be very costly for them to develop the 1-30 personal story for the new races, as well as voice acting for all the 30+ personal story and dungeons.

Also it makes sense to release a new race and profession together, since there will be more people who go and check out the new race content.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I don't think we'll see another "beast" race if we do get another at all. I also find it unlikely for ANet to take as ridiculous of a course when it comes to dances with races as to include Gangnam.
    You're kidding, right?

Hmmm, I wrote that in response to the latter statement, but then realized it applies to both.

Not sure if completely oblivious...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    You're kidding, right?

Hmmm, I wrote that in response to the latter statement, but then realized it applies to both.

Not sure if completely oblivious...
    No, and your response isn't even a response. You've given me no reason to think there will be playable Tengu other than they're supposedly "very popular", which honestly is something I haven't seen. I remember the discussions from the SWTOR forums about new playable races, I remember which ones were "very popular", and I remember that they gave us Cathar.

ANet has not taken the same route with their dances as wow and made them all ridiculous parodies of pop culture. Half of them are so obscure that most people didn't even know what they were by name.

So frankly, I don't see it happening.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

ANet has not taken the same route with their dances as wow and made them all ridiculous parodies of pop culture. Half of them are so obscure that most people didn't even know what they were by name.
    wat is this i dont even

ANet has not taken the same route with their dances as wow
    Oh, oh, wait... you made it so I can have even more lulz at your expense brah

Anet's animation is def better though...
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-11-29 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentWolf View Post
    Animal races are highly not popular. Charr has proven it well enough. And it's a good thing, since I hate them.
    My bet is Largos are going to be next playable race. GW2 lacks "elfs" of sort, and Largos are clearly these good looking humanoids, who's unique and interesting enough to become playable.
    That's cool.. the only Humanoid races in GW2 are playable at this point (Dwarves aside)

If you say Asura's are humanoid then Tengu's are Humanoid as well

No, and your response isn't even a response. You've given me no reason to think there will be playable Tengu other than they're supposedly "very popular", which honestly is something I haven't seen. I remember the discussions from the SWTOR forums about new playable races, I remember which ones were "very popular", and I remember that they gave us Cathar.

So frankly, I don't see it happening.
    Well lets see-

ANet had a 2009 interview with IGN where they stated what the *initial* five races were - key word initial. They also said additional races could come with expansions.

They said Tengu were a planned original-launch race, but were put on hold (not canceled) due to the lore behind the Dominion of Winds, and there being no valid reason for Tengu PCs being outside the DoW initially. The DoW is also too small for a full unique leveling experience like the other races have, so they'd *have* to do this with an expansion.

It's unlikely (and I believe they said somewhere wouldn't happen) PCs would come from any of the races associated with the racial sympathy quest - so no Quaggan, Skritt, Hylek, Ogre, or Grawl. That doesn't leave much left - the Dwarves are out of the picture, so who else do we have besides Kodan and Tengu?

As far as the dances.. really? We've got the carlton (Norn), the LMFAO party rock anthem dance (Human), popping (Asura), maori haka (Charr), and bhangra/bollywood dance (Sylvari).

Of the five, the only one that's not pop-culture based is the Charr's. While most may not be as popular, you seriously can't say ANet didn't take the same reality/pop-culture route for their dances.

Edit: Forgot to add, but you can't really use SWTOR/Cathar as a valid example of player feedback vs end implementation. Player feedback for that game well before it launched was "Give us playable races that aren't all humans with slightly different heads" but that didn't happen. First, their (bullshit, IMO) excuse about story/voice acting and the player/character disconnect playing something like a Wookiee would bring, and 2) too much work/engine not designed for it, considering they couldn't even get the graphics and helmet/shoulder clipping issues right for races like the Twi'lek.

GW2, on the other hand, doesn't have either limitation. The Tengu speak the same language everyone else does, and they're presumably designed (or can be) to wear any equipment they get, just like the Charr. True, any boots (and potentially gloves) they get would probably look fairly lame unless extra work was put into their graphic specifically, but we already get that with Charr anyways.
    Last edited by Matheren; 2012-11-30 at 08:46 AM.

God I hope this stupid Gangnam shit is long dead and buried when that happens.

It better not be. That is one of the worst memes the internet has ever shit out. It's not even a unique enough dance to warrant all the "IT SHUD B DIS RAYSIS DANS!" that every mmorpg is getting.

Deleted
    I never liked how in WoW they just do random parts of the dance. Except for the Nelf male.

So.. when was dancing ever NOT related to pop-music? I think I missed that part.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    So.. when was dancing ever NOT related to pop-music? I think I missed that part.

^

I always think of the movie 2001 when I hear that music

completely offtopic I know but meh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    God I hope this stupid Gangnam shit is long dead and buried when that happens.
    To be honest, this is one of my biggest objections to it. I can't stand all this Gangnam stuff.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    By the way, in case you meant in games(I doubt this is pop music):