Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Mexico and the US didn't go to war over texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Mexico and the US didn't go to war over texas.
    hmmm... texas rebelled from mexico. Santa Anna brought an army up to take it back. General Sam Houston ended up defeating him.
    maybe you have a different definition of war?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealed Shut View Post
    hmmm... texas rebelled from mexico. Santa Anna brought an army up to take it back. General Sam Houston ended up defeating him.
    maybe you have a different definition of war?
    But Sam Houston was a Texan colonist, not an American any longer. Texas waged war to obtain its independence, the US didn't conquer Texas to keep it for itself.

From the wiki:
    Finally, Santa Anna caught up with Houston's army, but had split his own army into three separate forces in an attempt to encircle the Texans. At the Battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836, Houston surprised Santa Anna and the Mexican forces during their afternoon "siesta." The Texans won a decisive victory in under 18 minutes, suffering few casualties, although Houston's ankle was shattered by a stray bullet. Badly beaten, Santa Anna was forced to sign the Treaty of Velasco, granting Texas its independence.
    Please, tell me this is a joke... some wikipedia vandalism...
    Last edited by mmoca165b6ca3d; 2012-11-30 at 06:04 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I say, Let them form a statehood. A full blown country..

And the first time one of the Palestinians lob a mortar over at Israel , Israel will have every right to just scorched earth every last one of them!
    I used to love going to the beach during summer, until Greenpeace started trying to push me back in the water.

Finally Justice. 60 years late, but finally Palestine is recognized. The fact that the rest of the world believes so as well only proves how out of touch Germany, the UK and the US are.
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    Finally Justice. 60 years late, but finally Palestine is recognized. The fact that the rest of the world believes so as well only proves how out of touch Germany, the UK and the US are.
    Non-member observer state, meaning it's as much of a state as the Vatican is. General Assembly resolutions don't matter, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Non-member observer state, meaning it's as much of a state as the Vatican is. General Assembly resolutions don't matter, anyway.
    At least its a start at more fair representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Uhmmm.. yes we do. The 5 permanent members of the Security Council have veto power over anything in the UN. The 5 members are US, Russia (former USSR), China, France and UK.
    Veto power exists in the security council, not the general assembly.

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 10:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kekkiki View Post
    Uh, yes you do. You really don't know what you're talking about.

When voting for such an entity the majority is enough(which happened). When voting for full UN membership the U.S will be able to veto the entire thing because of being a permanent member of the UN.

You really should stop spreading misinformation and look into things before you act.

The title is correct. Israel controls U.S and there's your answer. As long as Israel holds so much power in America, US will always VETO a full UN membership for Palestine.
    Incorrect.

http://www.differencebetween.com/dif...eral-assembly/

"While the General Assembly is democratic in the sense that each member, howsoever powerful he may be, has a single vote, Security Council is made up of 5 super powers of the world who can take unilateral action based upon their veto powers."

Also, every state on there that I can think of, though I'm not up to date with every single state's status, is currently a permanent member of the UN. Its the Security Council where the US is one of the permanent five.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-11-30 at 09:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Palestine didn't have a country at the time
    Israel didn't have a country at the time
    The majority of the people living there opposed the "mandate".

Anyway, congratulations Palestine.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me...kiio1_1280.jpg

Deleted
    Because it doesn't want Palestine to be a member of the UN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    They don't matter to the US and Israel not the rest of the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    In fact, they largely don't matter outside the countries that have a more-or-less well stablished democracy. The countries who care about UN resolutions are basically in the EU, Latin America, plus Canada, South Africa, India, Burma, Thailand, Philippines, South Korea and Japan.
    Last edited by mmoca165b6ca3d; 2012-11-30 at 09:34 AM.

Deleted
    Money. Oil. Relations with other countries that provide money and oil.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    oddly enough the US and Israel are racing to exploit a massive oil and gas field, 60% of which is in Gaza waters. waters that the palestinians are denied access to. Looks like stealing their land and killing their children wasnt enough for Israel.

Because of the result of the vote, Palestine can now go to the International Criminal Court and get the Israelis indited for war crimes if they need to.
    As an upgraded observer state, the Palestinian territories could join treaties and specialized U.N. agencies, such as the International Civil Aviation Organization, the Law of the Sea Treaty, the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and the International Criminal Court, officials said.

That would give it legal rights over its territorial waters and air space, and would allow Palestinians to sue for control in the International Court of Justice and to bring war crimes charges against Israel in the ICC.

Mr. Abbas made no reference to joining the ICC or other treaties. But he issued an explicit warning to Israel.

"What permits the Israeli government to blatantly continue with its aggressive policies and the perpetration of war crimes stems from its conviction that it is above the law and that it has immunity from accountability and consequences," he said. "The moment has arrived for the world to say clearly: Enough of aggression, settlements and occupation."

The practical implications of Thursday's vote are far from certain. The International Court of Justice, a U.N. court, in 2004 ruled that Israel violated international law with its security barrier and called on Israel to tear down sections in East Jerusalem and the West Bank.

Israel ignored the ruling and could be expected to do the same with any future court decisions on territorial waters and air space.

If the ICC were to indict Israeli officials on war crimes charges, they couldn't be arrested on Israeli territory, though traveling to countries that are ICC members could become problematic.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...307234514.html

So now Israel has pushed Palestine hard enough for them to circumvent the US and Israeli obstructionism (who say to go to the negotiation table, except they always come up with an excuse why they can't).

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    What I am personally appalled by is the fact that the Netherlands did not vote. For years now I have said to my friends and family that Palestina should be a country onto itself. Only then can peace talks really begin. I am all for groups of widely differing ideas creating their own country: the Frisian, the Flemish, the Kurds and the Basques. If they want a country of their own, let them. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    Aslo, the reason to be bothered by Israel being a Jewish state has nothing to do with racism. The problem is that by Israel nature of not being a non-religious state, Palestinians who live in Israel have a 2nd class citizen status. This condition surfaces, for example whenever Palestinian homes are expropriated for demolition, to build new homes and house Jewish immigrants.
    Such a blatant lie.

I am Israeli, and I am an Arab. I don't call myself Palestinian, because, lets face it, I'm simply not. Never was. My family's house was never demolished to create houses for "Jewish Immigrants", and, honestly, not being forced to serve in the army, having cheaper taxes, college payments, municipal services and healthcare hardly makes me feel like a 2nd class citizen, in fact, it makes me feel like a first class citizen.

The whole "Jewish" thing isn't even felt in Arabic cities in Israel.

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 02:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Because of the result of the vote, Palestine can now go to the International Criminal Court and get the Israelis indited for war crimes if they need to.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...307234514.html

So now Israel has pushed Palestine hard enough for them to circumvent the US and Israeli obstructionism (who say to go to the negotiation table, except they always come up with an excuse why they can't).
    It also means that every time a suicide bomber blows up, or a rocket falls in Israel, Israel can drag the Palestinians to the ICC.
    It also means that any act of war against Israel can be answered by force, since the Palestinians are now expected to use their own police to eliminate their own terrorists. (I doubt they'll want to, since they still pay salaries to terrorists and their families)

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 02:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cascade View Post
    What I am personally appalled by is the fact that the Netherlands did not vote. For years now I have said to my friends and family that Palestina should be a country onto itself. Only then can peace talks really begin. I am all for groups of widely differing ideas creating their own country: the Frisian, the Flemish, the Kurds and the Basques. If they want a country of their own, let them. Why not?
    "We want a country, lets go around killing random innocent people so we may get it"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    They're non-binding, meaning they don't matter by definition.

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 04:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

Because the ICC is just oh-so effective at doing, well, anything? Palestine is equally as liable for war crimes.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

FYI the USA wants to protect Israel because they believe in the bible and that Jerusalem has to exist for baby Jebus to come back. And they think that the Jews are gods chosen people so they need to be protected since god can't protect them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gog View Post
    FYI the USA wants to protect Israel because they believe in the bible and that Jerusalem has to exist for baby Jebus to come back. And they think that the Jews are gods chosen people so they need to be protected since god can't protect them.
    Um. No. The US protects Israel because US aid is critical in maintaining the country's security, combined with the fact it serves as a useful proxy for the US in the region.

If it doesn't matter why was Israel so adamant they don't get the seats. Here is how it works. UNGA allocates them a seat. It provides legitimacy to the idea and a concept of a Palestinian state on the pre-1967 borders. Legally defined the UN and its member states have recognized the right of a Palestinian state on its Pre-1967 borders. That in turn refutes the claim of the Israeli people and its government to what are now legally defined Palestinian lands.

So yeah....not a big deal at all. Plus its nice to see 179 nations consider the basic right of the Palestinian people.
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!