(HOLY) 4P Set Bonus LFR > Non-Set Higher iLvl gear?

Howdy y'all,

I'm currently in the pitiful situation, that I was "lucky" enough to win some LFR set tokens, which in itself would be great, if I didn't already have higher item level gear on those slots. Specifically I'm talking about LFR set shoulders and chest vs. Spaulders of the Emperor's Rage (489) and Chestplate of the Forbidden Tower (496).

Obviously there are many things to consider when making such a decision, and although I'm currently not raiding on a very high level I'm still always trying to min/max my gear.
    What it boils down to is this:
    Is the 4P Set Bonus worth more than higher item level gear. (Keep in mind that it has been buffed to 2 seconds off of the holy shock cooldown)

I did not find any theorycrafting about this, though I am aware of the implications of being able to cast more Holy Shocks: generating HP faster, thus having "more" crits, thus getting more Infusion of Light and so forth.

Following are the Wowhead item comparisons I made with the respective reforge, gemming and enchanting.

Chest:
    http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items....76645.0.0.154

Shoulders:
    http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items...0.4915.0.76686

Now, are the respective stat gains/losses worth getting the 4P?

I hope you have all the information you need to help I out, which I would very much appreciate.

Cheers
    Last edited by chrism; 2012-11-28 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo!

I still believe that the pvp 4 piece is better except maybe when you have the heroic 4 piece. Although they did hotfix LoD to increase its healing by 5% so it might be close. Too early to tell. However, if you are sticking to pve gear only, I would take the set bonus from lfr over normal non set pieces if you get the 4 piece bonus only. The 2 sec off your best hp generator is really good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ulm View Post
    I still believe that the pvp 4 piece is better except maybe when you have the heroic 4 piece. Although they did hotfix LoD to increase its healing by 5% so it might be close. Too early to tell. However, if you are sticking to pve gear only, I would take the set bonus from lfr over normal non set pieces if you get the 4 piece bonus only. The 2 sec off your best hp generator is really good.
    Is the PvP set still worth it now that they prevented the HP gain from DP procs?

Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    Is the PvP set still worth it now that they prevented the HP gain from DP procs?
    Untill you get 4 piece pve 396ilvl+ yes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilthresa View Post
    Untill you get 4 piece pve 396ilvl+ yes
    Gonna give it a go tonight then. Only recently decided to go for the PvP set and managed to get the last piece yesterday, man I was pissed off!

Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    Unless they just made this change, you still get HP from divine purpose procs with the pvp set as I was using it all yesterday

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Quote Originally Posted by Theholypally View Post
    Unless they just made this change, you still get HP from divine purpose procs with the pvp set as I was using it all yesterday
    Was changed with 5.1, on another completly different note.. I'm having mana issues maybe just got to used to ef blanketing.. who knows

Thanks for the answers so far. Though I should've probably mentioned that I do not plan on using the PvP Bonus, reasons for which I will not discuss here, since I am asking solely about the comparison between 4P PVE Set and NonSet PVE. Besides, the nerf somehow killed the whole "overpowered" aspect of the 4P PvP.

So, please remember, that we are trying to assess the PVE set bonus, not the PVP Bonus.

Thanks again and.... /discuss!

I don't get it, the 4p pvp set still gave HP from DP procs yesterday. I'll double check again later today.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theholypally View Post
    I don't get it, the 4p pvp set still gave HP from DP procs yesterday. I'll double check again later today.
    Was nerfed with patch.

And still not what this thread is supposed to be about....

Deleted
    Okay sorry. To answer question.
    Yes LFR 4 set is better than normal off-peices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishau View Post
    Okay sorry. To answer question.
    Yes LFR 4 set is better than normal off-peices.
    I would totally give you a like for that answer. Sadly. I can't
    Thanks!

More opinions?

Pretty much with the buff to the 4 piece, if you can get it - go for it.. it will be better

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    What it boils down to is this:
    Is the 4P Set Bonus worth more than higher item level gear. (Keep in mind that it has been buffed to 2 seconds off of the holy shock cooldown)
    Absolutely beyond a doubt the 4piece bonus is worth more than the stats from higher ilvl items, especially after the buff. 2 seconds off of holy shock cd is enormous.

That's more like it, thanks guys
    Feel free to continue commenting

I'm in the same predicament with almost the same gear :P except I decided to hold off on all tier gear until I got the 4 set (3 pieces from LFR). Since I'm not familiar with the theory-crafting I think the best way to find out is to try it out in raid. My inclination is that it will depend on the fight and who you're healing with. I heal with a mistweaver monk and sometimes discipline priest so usually I'm assigned to tank heals. In fights where the two tanks (or 1-3 other people) will consistently be taking a lot of damage and where you're inhibited either by fight mechanics from basically going OOM (ex. Gara'jal, Sha) it might be better to go with the 4 set bonus where I can really utilize the bonus without worrying too much about mana. On fights where I have previously been essentially OOM close to the end I'll probably stick with current gear.

I have a feeling that I won't be using it though, mana regen goes down more than 10% and lose around 1K spell power (less of a deal). I'll be back after tonights raids to give some observations

You have an excellent point there.
    I'm very interested in your observations.

I currently do not really have a raid, though I am about to join a new one soon.
    Will do the same and try to make some observations myself.

Mathematically speaking however, the LFR Set Items do have more spirit on them (including socketing 320 spirit gems) than higher level non set. So in terms of regen they are also superior. Only Intellect is inferior which, as you already stated, is not that big of a deal.

Still interested in other opinions and experiences!
    Thanks for joining in monikasun88

Raided last night (Lei Shi (N), Sha of Fear (N), Stone Guards (H), Feng (H)) and the previous poster was right, the 4-set completely dominates (and I went from pieces of 476/489/496 gear to 3 pieces of raid finder). Despite going down over 2,500 mana out of combat and 1000 spell power, the 4 set was just insane. As long as you regularly spam holy shock when the cooldown comes up it is pretty amazing how much healing you can do with very little mana. I think my overall mana usage was even less than with my better ilvl gear. Got some attempts in on Feng and its insane but doable. So end of the story is in my experience, yes replace your gear with raid finder but make sure to look for upgrades it to regular if you can.

P.S. Highly recommend trying out holy prism now that it doesn't suck, especially on Feng.

Quote Originally Posted by monikasun88 View Post
    Raided last night (Lei Shi (N), Sha of Fear (N), Stone Guards (H), Feng (H)) and the previous poster was right, the 4-set completely dominates (and I went from pieces of 476/489/496 gear to 3 pieces of raid finder). Despite going down over 2,500 mana out of combat and 1000 spell power, the 4 set was just insane. As long as you regularly spam holy shock when the cooldown comes up it is pretty amazing how much healing you can do with very little mana. I think my overall mana usage was even less than with my better ilvl gear. Got some attempts in on Feng and its insane but doable. So end of the story is in my experience, yes replace your gear with raid finder but make sure to look for upgrades it to regular if you can.

P.S. Highly recommend trying out holy prism now that it doesn't suck, especially on Feng.
    Only light's hammer is actually much better on feng even with the prism buff.