Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Here is the thing that no one seems to have touched on, the only time Tupac was a sort of OKAY at best rapper is when he was a back-up singer for Digital Underground. What made him okay back then was the fact we didn't have to hear/see him very much.

The only thing that Tupac really did for rap was bridge the gap between NWA/Chronic era and moved things into the crap known as rap today. While he had a couple of OKAY songs at best, he just happened to be around when not a whole lot was going on in the rap world.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Judging by his/her posts, I seriously doubt they have the ability to analyse musical lyrics.

But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Shiny2012, go listen to "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" from start to finish, and if you still think Hip Hop does not qualify as a musical genre then go play in front of a cement mixer or something.

Good Kid, M.A.A.D City: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpZk5n_vZwk
    THAT was your suggestion? It's awful, some guy whining with loud drums in the background, terrible, why would you do that to someone why, why?

And to the other numerous people who I cant be bothered to quote, obviously you're all in denial and are not open to the facts surrounding your "musical" genre.

You're right though, this is a waste of time, funny though =)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    And to the other numerous people who I cant be bothered to quote, obviously you're all in denial and are not open to the facts surrounding your "musical" genre.
    None of the statements you have made in this thread have been factually accurate. None. Not one. For something to qualify as music, it has to be two things: audible, and man-made with an intention. Nothing else. Melodies have nothing to do with it. All but the most abstract and abrasive of hip-hop contains melodies. If music somehow magically implies singing, is instrumental music not music?

On top of this, you've been contradicting yourself on several points. You have provided no backup for any statement made. Is this some form of elaborate ruse, or are you being sincere?

I suppose the real question will be if you can be "bothered to quote" this reply. Stand for what the fuck you're saying. Back the statements that are challenged up with facts - or at the very least - counter-arguments.

I'm also unsure as to how any of this is "funny" for any party involved (but I cannot speak on behalf of others, so I suppose you personally find this hilarious).

Deleted
    THAT was your suggestion? It's awful, some guy whining with loud drums in the background, terrible, why would you do that to someone why, why?

How about you show us an example of the music you listen to, so we can flame and discredit it?

Example is the greatest rapper in the world /EndThread
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

My points are terrible and not grounded in fact whatsoever, I refuse to defend my position even as instigator, I will continue to spout ignorant bullshit while pretending to be superior to those around me. This despite coming across as a complete fucking moron.

This is you. I guess it's pretty easy to find this very funny when you haven't got two brain cells to rub together.

Quote Originally Posted by Drack View Post
    Tupac:
    I got tha word as hell ya blew
    trial and tha judge gave you
    25 with an L
    time to prepare to do fed time
    won't see parole
    imagine life as a convict
    that's getten' old
    plus with tha drama
    we're lookin out for your babies mama
    taken risks, while keepin' cheap tricks from gettin on her...
    life in tha hood...
    is all good for nobody

Lil Wayne:
    I am the beast,
    Feed me rappers or feed me beats, I'm untamed, I need a leash I'm insane,
    I need a shrink, I love brain, I need a leech,
    Why complain on easy streets?
    I don't even talk, I let the Visa speak
    and I like my sprite easter pink,
    And my wrist special par but the mule is cooler,
    I have more jewels than your jeweler.

Please Don't compare the 2 again

This may be true but you took a deep Tupac song and put it against one of waynes fuck around pump up songs, watch the same can be done opposite.

TUPAC

First off, fuck your bitch
    And the clique you claim
    West side when we ride
    Come equipped with game
    You claim to be a player
    But I fucked your wife
    We bust on Bad Boys
    niggas fuck for Life
    Plus Puffy tryin' to see me weak
    Hearts I rip
    Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia
    Some mark ass bitches

WAYNE
    Oh, I see the truth in your lies
    I see nobody by your side
    But I'm with you when you re all alone
    And you correct me when Im lookin wrong
    I see that guilt beneath the shame
    I see your soul through your window pain
    I see the scars that remain
    I see you Wayne, Im lookin at the..

Yeah...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MjH View Post
    Um 2pac set the stage for 90% of all the wanna be "gangsta rappers" of today. If you wanted to get into hip-hop you'd deff pay attention to what 2pac brought to the genre..

And OP

Your right you don't get it. People don't say Tupac was the greatest rapper alive based off talent, they say it because he was the greatest/most well know rapper who had a message good or bad and stood for something. Putting Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Drake, Kanye in the same breathe as Tupac is a joke. Their music is nothing but exactly what you said a "banger" the same generic beat done over and over by everyone from Kesha to Kanye that will be a smash club hit for suburbia america and later remixed by David Guetta. Hell your lucky if you get Lil Wayne to say anything other than Tunechi, Wobble Wobble or "Young moolah baby" in a song.

And your wrong Tupac had his following way before he died. Same with Biggie. Those are the only 2 MAYBE Jay-Z you can mention and compare in the slightest in regards to fame/significance to rap. 2pac/Biggie kind of have the same allure Michael Jackson, The Beetles, Elvis all have. Could be the personal struggles mixed with fame fortune tragedy drama. And no I'm not a rap/tupac fan. I'd easily put rapers like Eminen, RZA, Tech9, UGK, Too Short, Nas, Jay-Z skill wise miles ahead of 2pac just not the wanna be rappers of today.
    You might want to change that just a bit... xD OT: He honestly wasn't the best but he was well known. I definitely like eminem and tech9 a lot more than some of tupacs songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    This is sadly the truth. Whenever an artist dies they always get 1000% more credibility, no matter if they deserve it or not.
    Exactly my point! The same with kobain. He is not even top 10 in his genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    Exactly my point! The same with kobain. He is not even top 10 in his genre.
    Kobain didn't get his notoriety for dying, he was just as big when he was alive then when he died. Perhaps his death immortalized him, ironic I know but his impact isn't for being the greatest in his genre (I'd like to see you name 10 better in grunge) it was his scene changing / influence he had on music.

2pac was the same thing. He was already considered one of the greatest while he was alive, if not THE greatest. Something that can't exactly be said in Biggie's case.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 09:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    This may be true but you took a deep Tupac song and put it against one of waynes fuck around pump up songs, watch the same can be done opposite.

TUPAC

First off, fuck your bitch
    And the clique you claim
    West side when we ride
    Come equipped with game
    You claim to be a player
    But I fucked your wife
    We bust on Bad Boys
    niggas fuck for Life
    Plus Puffy tryin' to see me weak
    Hearts I rip
    Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia
    Some mark ass bitches

WAYNE
    Oh, I see the truth in your lies
    I see nobody by your side
    But I'm with you when you re all alone
    And you correct me when Im lookin wrong
    I see that guilt beneath the shame
    I see your soul through your window pain
    I see the scars that remain
    I see you Wayne, Im lookin at the..

Yeah...
    What's funny is you're quoting a song widely regarded as one of the best diss tracks and comparing it to a substandard "deep" lyric.

Deleted
    guess what you say he wasn't, i say he was.

the world is full of situations like this, its called people having varied opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would not say that he is the BEST rapper (IMHO Eminem is the best rapper of all time) One of the best rappers? Without a doubt, he cleared the way for a lot of rappers.

Also, I stopped caring what the OP thought when they said Rick Ross makes better songs than 2Pac.... It's rappers like Rick Ross that are RUINING the genre.... Just saying...
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Waynes albums won't sound dated in 15 years.
    LOL. You can see the future now? Mind telling me the lottery numbers then? I'm pretty sure, 15 years ago someone said "2pac's music won't be dated in 15 years".

Also: personal taste is personal. If someone things 2pac is the greatest ever its their opinion. You wanna try proving an opinion wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by User007 View Post
    Also: personal taste is personal. If someone things 2pac is the greatest ever its their opinion. You wanna try proving an opinion wrong?
    There's a difference in questioning an individuals knowledge of a genre and questioning its opinions. Usually, when someone claims Eminem/2Pac/Biggie/whatever is the GOAT (this would apply to most other genres too, see: The Beatles/Rolling Stones/Dylan/Queen/My Bloody Valentine/Pink Floyd/Daft Punk/Radiohead et cetera) it usually has to do with their inexperience with said type of music rather than an educated opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgerald77 View Post
    I would not say that he is the BEST rapper (IMHO Eminem is the best rapper of all time) One of the best rappers? Without a doubt, he cleared the way for a lot of rappers.

Also, I stopped caring what the OP thought when they said Rick Ross makes better songs than 2Pac.... It's rappers like Rick Ross that are RUINING the genre.... Just saying...
    What makes Eminem the best rapper ever in your eyes? Without Pac, there probably wouldn't have even been many of the rappers there are today. He was the Jordan of rapping and paved the way/inspired a lot of kids growing up to be just like him. Now that doesn't make him the best, but I think at the time when he was alive, his music was very inspiring, talking about many real life problems and giving people hope. So when he died, it really upset a lot of people and made his music even more legendary.

Similar to Enimem. They share the same type of lyrical writing. I don't think there's much doubt he'll be considered one of the best ever when it's all said and done.
    Last edited by KCguy; 2012-11-29 at 09:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People say 2pac was the best rapper because he was/is the focal point of the 'gangster rap' era in the mid 90's, along with his beef with Biggie, who is another overrated rapper. Both had good music, and more than just a few very good songs. Their persona, emotion (more Pac) and attention led to their popularity. As for those saying Jay-z is a top 20 rapper, I scoff at the notion that a sellout who significantly lowered his rhymes after his first album. Reasonable Doubt remains as one of my top 10 albums. Personally I believe Eminem is a great rapper. He is more than just slightly above average talent and his race/background give him more popularity and phantom talent than he'd have if he was black. But I suppose all rappers are subject to their background and environment so that's fine. In my personal opinion, there are four rappers you can call the greatest of all time, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, KRS-One and Nas. Every week or so I see myself flip flopping between any of these four, though recently (past 2-4 years) I see myself leaning towards Nas. The man has stayed relevant for 21 years, got called the greatest by KRS, and holds the crown as king of NYC, oh and that album called Illmatic at 20 years old.

This has turned into something anything but constructive.