Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Music] Why do people say 2pac was the best rapper ever?

How come whenever theres a discussion about who's the best rapper ever, people always say 2pac? He wasn't as good as Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, or even Big. I don't even put 2pac in my top 25 list of favorite rappers. His lyrics were boring and his rhymes were so damn simple that he wasn't lyrical at all. People say his Me against the World, All Eyez on Me, and Makaveli albums are classic but I've listened to them and after a few listens don't want to listen to them again.

Drake, Rick Ross, Kanye, and Wayne made better songs then 2pac and had better beats. Yea hes been dead for over 15 years but all his work sounds extremely dated. Waynes albums won't sound dated in 15 years. So why do people say he's the "greatest rapper ever"? Lyrically Rick Ross is better then 2pac and I don't even like Ross. I don't get it.

Deleted
    have you listened to his music? dosent sound like you have done that

I listened to his last 3 albums he did alive and the ones that came out after he died. There really isnt nothing special about them. One or two good songs on each album but for people to say hes the best rapper ever, you need more then 1 or 2 good songs per album to get that title. Every time Wayne or Drake comes out with a new cd theres always 7-8 bangers on em. Same with Kanye or Eminem.

People only say 2pac is the best cause he died, just like whenever someone famous dies like Amy Winehouse all of a sudden everyones like "omg omg theyre the best ever!!!". Rick Ross last album was better then Makaveli album and Ross isnt even my top 5.
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2012-11-28 at 09:43 PM.

To be fair; I have no freaking idea. His music is so boring.

I've listened to quite some of his songs, but I did not like it at all. Nothing special, to be honest.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

2pac wasn't a particularly talented rapper. not remotely in the same league as slick rick, wu-tang, pharcyde, tribe called quest, etc.

successful marketing coupled with dying young, I would not class his music as very worthwhile if you wanted to get into hip-hop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    successful marketing coupled with dying young, I would not class his music as very worthwhile if you wanted to get into hip-hop
    Um 2pac set the stage for 90% of all the wanna be "gangsta rappers" of today. If you wanted to get into hip-hop you'd deff pay attention to what 2pac brought to the genre..

And OP

Your right you don't get it. People don't say Tupac was the greatest rapper alive based off talent, they say it because he was the greatest/most well know rapper who had a message good or bad and stood for something. Putting Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Drake, Kanye in the same breathe as Tupac is a joke. Their music is nothing but exactly what you said a "banger" the same generic beat done over and over by everyone from Kesha to Kanye that will be a smash club hit for suburbia america and later remixed by David Guetta. Hell your lucky if you get Lil Wayne to say anything other than Tunechi, Wobble Wobble or "Young moolah baby" in a song.

And your wrong Tupac had his following way before he died. Same with Biggie. Those are the only 2 MAYBE Jay-Z you can mention and compare in the slightest in regards to fame/significance to rap. 2pac/Biggie kind of have the same allure Michael Jackson, The Beetles, Elvis all have. Could be the personal struggles mixed with fame fortune tragedy drama. And no I'm not a rap/tupac fan. I'd easily put rapers like Eminen, RZA, Tech9, UGK, Too Short, Nas, Jay-Z skill wise miles ahead of 2pac just not the wanna be rappers of today.

Deleted
    Cause he was killed.. Most you know that is true

Quote Originally Posted by MjH View Post
    Um 2pac set the stage for 90% of all the wanna be "gangsta rappers" of today. If you wanted to get into hip-hop you'd deff pay attention to what 2pac brought to the genre..
    you real son? heard about Scholly D? Ice-T? N.W.A? Wu-Tang? Public Enemy?

fuck outta here lol

The thing is stop complaining and move on.

no seriously what does it matter if people says its the best rapper ever? alot of people don't know what the hell they are talking about or don't even listen to music on a regular basis.

Tupac, 50 cents, wu-tang and eminem are part of the rap music genre rising. Tupac died so people paid more attention to him because he didn't get the time to release lesser albums like 50 cents and eminem. lets get real, many group/artist make a 1-3 magnificient album and proceed to screw the rest so if you die in your magnificient day people will remember. These 3 are still refered too all the time because they were the firsts to be played constantly on radio, clubs and mtv when it had music videos. They REALLY opened up the way for many artists.

its like if we were talking about pop. we would talk about micheal jackson because he died before his reputation went down the drain(although it was starting to with child abuse/rape) and he is part of the crew who made the genre popular.

The funny thing is: alot of people are nostalgic so they refer to dead people all the time. Bob marley is another exemple of such a thing. I hear people saying... if they were still alive... imo they would'ave prolly sucked big time now.

Anyway claiming an artist to be the ''best'' is just downright stupid. there can't be any best in a subjective world. Using best to describe an artist is biased and can't be proven ever

yes I didn't mention alot of rappers because I don't listen to rap myself at all but as you can see I mentionned those I know and the ones I would use if someone would come around me talking about rap i'd prolly say: Eminem was the best.
    Last edited by Damax; 2012-11-29 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    Cause he was killed.. Most you know that is true
    This is sadly the truth. Whenever an artist dies they always get 1000% more credibility, no matter if they deserve it or not.

He's considered so great for three reasons:

1. Simple lyrics that combined enough conscious hip-hop with braggadocio to be perceived as "deep"
    2. A strong core following and rivalry
    3. Died right after his strongest albums were released

I personally think his music is rather mediocre, especially when in the context of groups like Wu-Tang and A Tribe Called Quest.

Tupac:
    I got tha word as hell ya blew
    trial and tha judge gave you
    25 with an L
    time to prepare to do fed time
    won't see parole
    imagine life as a convict
    that's getten' old
    plus with tha drama
    we're lookin out for your babies mama
    taken risks, while keepin' cheap tricks from gettin on her...
    life in tha hood...
    is all good for nobody

Lil Wayne:
    I am the beast,
    Feed me rappers or feed me beats, I'm untamed, I need a leash I'm insane,
    I need a shrink, I love brain, I need a leech,
    Why complain on easy streets?
    I don't even talk, I let the Visa speak
    and I like my sprite easter pink,
    And my wrist special par but the mule is cooler,
    I have more jewels than your jeweler.

Please Don't compare the 2 again

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not just his music, but more or less the message it contained.
    He was truly a freedom fighter, if he didn't die, the world would be so much different today.
    He was a revolutionary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    He's considered so great for three reasons:

1. Simple lyrics that combined enough conscious hip-hop with braggadocio to be perceived as "deep"
    2. A strong core following and rivalry
    3. Died right after his strongest albums were released

I personally think his music is rather mediocre, especially when in the context of groups like Wu-Tang and A Tribe Called Quest.
    Yes. Especially 3.

The thing that makes me personally like Pac is that I think his voice is great. I enjoyed his lyrics and flow/beats too surely enough but they aren't amazing, they never were really. What really makes his music for me is his voice, plus I've been listening to it for fucking yonks.

saying Tupac was the best doesnt stand....saying he was one of the best does stand. The whole time period of the 90s and rappers that rock the rap scene then, for sure go in the category the best. I stoppped listen to rap music after second Eminem album, cuz after that the rap music became too commercial and not really interesting.

are there still great rappers out there, for sure.....just the one that are put in the first plan today are not even close to the ones from the 90s.

i dont think Tupac had the best lyrics or beats....but his songs had the message, as someone said he was a revolutionary. I never did consider him just rapper, but artist. If he lived long enough I think he would transfer into movie industry like Ice Cube ie. (whom i also consider one of the best)

if Lil Wayne got killed now in some gang related shooting.....who would talk about him 20 years later?

Because most people don't really get into hip hop enough to hear anything past the most popular stuff. Hence, it's really easy to parrot Tupac as the greatest ever since everyone else says so. Frankly, none of Tupac's work even touches Ready to Die. I know that sounds like your typical Biggie vs Tupac snippet but anyone with any serious interest in hip hop would be willing to look beyond the pop culture phenomena and look at each guy's work as music first and foremost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    2pac? ....... wasn't as good as Eminem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Drake, Rick Ross, and Wayne made better songs then 2pac.
    LOL

These 2 comments are meme worthy.
    I'm not sure that I've ever facepalmed this hard on MMO-C.

Deleted
    First of all, Pac was good, theres no question about it. Anyone who says Drake, Eminem or a comparable new age rapper is the best instantly discredits themselves. Pac however was not the best rapper who ever lived. Many would argue Biggie was, and he sure is a good candidate,he could work magic with words, but some of his most popular tracks came out after he died backed by well produced, catchy, bassy beats.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjrgi_L1wyo
    Nas's first album regularly sits on top of the 'Best Hip Hop Albums ever' lists you can google.

In my opinion, the best rapper who ever lived was Lamont Coleman, also known as Big L. His flow and lyricism are unmatched as an MC, and he is still regarded as one of the most if not the most skilled MC who ever lived.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBrzEVJwYFg

Snoop was good up until his 3rd-4th album, now he is a little washed up. Dr.Dre was never the most talented rapper, but he is a god in the studio.

I'd also like to throw a shout to DL incognito a canadian rapper who is pretty sick.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJToyk4sKgg
    Last edited by mmocf5e56c7f0d; 2012-11-29 at 07:09 PM.

why do people think rapping is music? why do they think it's challenging or requiring of talent anywhere near that of an actual singer/composer or songwriter that writes about more than drugs, sex and violence?