Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Pay off my roommates' house, buy my parents a house, buy a car... and, oddly enough, keep my job, but as a hobby and an excuse to get out of the house more often.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

I would make sure that fkn ticket is not lost. Until i see the money then I will start celebrating.

Pay off my mortgage, my sister's mortgage, my parents mortgage and probably do a little traveling with my wife and kids.

First of all, I would take the lump sum. If you die, your family doesn't get the rest of the money if you choose the payments option.

I would then probably move to California, and give a few family members and friends a few million each. Then tell the rest of my family that finally decided to butter up to me, to go fuck themselves.

I would also do what Reeve did, get a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Winning the lottery shouldn't change the way people live, except to make life not stressful with money and you still get to feel like you're contributing something to society by working / paying taxes. Not working would be unwise
    You realize that by winning a $500 million lottery you would be paying more in taxes in one year than you would have for your entire life right? I would continue working, but from my house, at my own pace and on whatever project suits me. I'm a software engineer/web developer so basically it doesn't matter where I am while I'm doing my job. But I would prefer to set my own deadlines and work with tools that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Set up a portfolio and live off the dividends forever.
    yes. or buy a profitable company and run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by galileoacosta View Post
    What is the 1st thing you would do with the 1st installment of money you get from the jackpot.

Me, down payment on awesome house and sick gaming PC
    blow like 50k right off the bat on video games, comics, toys, books, a computer tv ect

buy a nice little house.

put the rest of the money in savings and go to work the next day and continually stockpile more of it so my fortune continually grows.

spend the rest of my and my futures family life in modest luxury buying all the fancy electronics and games i want
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    1. Pay off student debt.
    2. Build dream house on farm.
    3. Ferrari (not for farm use).
    4. Fund my son's preschool teachers so they can build a K-12 school, and then have my kids go there.
    5. Start foundation for homeless children in my area (subsequent installation of money will go to expanding into other states).
    6. Flight lessons for myself.
    7. Small plane.
    8. Travel a LOT.
    9. Might see if I can bribe someone to give me some stick time in a modern fighter jet trainer.
    10. Think about space travel.

(and yes, those are just the things with the first installment. $500MM is a LOT of money, and iirc the installments would be about $11,000,000 for 25 years)

Burn it all... literally.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    3. Ferrari (not for farm use).
    blasphemy @_@
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    First of all I'd go to a bank that invests my money wisely. I don't want a bank that invests in any immoral stuff. I wouldn't wanna NEED to work again, not saying I won't ever work again but just to take the pressure off.
    Then the fun part: My first spending. It'd be sick gaming laptop and an awesome sound system. Fuck tv's. As for housing, I'd wanna think it through longer.

i'd take my kids and travel the world, spend some time doing charity stuff in 3rd world countries, then hope they get back home and have a better understanding of how good they have it.

i just don't see the point in going all out with it, i'd get what i needed, make sure my kids were taken care of and so was anyone else i cared about and then just sit on the rest. i'd travel more and work less

10+ Year Old Account
    1. I would go on a drink/drugs binge
    2. End up in some posh rehab
    3. relapse and go on another binge
    4. back in rehab and staying sober (honest)
    5. marry a girl who's only after my money
    6. divorced, losing half my money
    7. back in rehab again
    8. Lost all money in a investment scam
    9. living in mums basement
    10. Text mates telling them about the week i just had
    'I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.' Alex ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    go into hiding.
    Probably the best idea in this thread.

Move out of my parents' house. Why waste money on stuff I don't want?

Quote Originally Posted by lightcaller View Post
    Move out of my parents' house. Why waste money on stuff I don't want?
    why move out of your parents house and waste money on rent. buy the house from your parents (or whoever owns it) and make your parents pay you rent muahahahahaha O-O

10+ Year Old Account
    The best lawyer, investment banker, and accountant money can buy. I'd convince my family to move to California, and I'd buy a huge mansion on the beach for my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    The best lawyer, investment banker, and accountant money can buy. I'd convince my family to move to California, and I'd buy a huge mansion on the beach for my family.
    and make them pay rent right? hehehe glorious rent muahahahaaha @_@

I'm in a pool with 25 people, so it would be under 10 million after tax.
    I'd probably take one million of it, and spend it on gifts for family (including wife's family), some cars, etc.
    And put away the rest in a lot of investments.

First thing? probably go on a much needed vacation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Find a safe place to store the ticket while I get as much stuff worked out as possible before claiming, get a "team" together and would take the lump sum because I don't want to be at the mercy of the state and federal government when it comes to tax hikes (especially for a state I would no longer live in) and other things over the next 30 years. Run with mostly low risk investments and live primarily off the interest. Probably go back to school and take a few classes that would be beneficial for the new life. My new job would be managing everything and not leaving it all in the hands of someone else.

I already know my favorite word would be "NO!" And pretty much alienate almost all my relatives but I'm fine with that, don't care for them much anyway. I'll be moving far, far away and do what I can to drop off the face of the Earth.... >_>

First thing anyone should do is look up stories of past lottery winners who ended up going broke or worse and then not do what they did.

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 07:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    I'm in a pool with 25 people, so it would be under 10 million after tax.
    I'd probably take one million of it, and spend it on gifts for family (including wife's family), some cars, etc.
    And put away the rest in a lot of investments.

First thing? probably go on a much needed vacation.

Hope you have everything in writing, signed and notarized.
    Last edited by PHOENIXZERO; 2012-11-29 at 12:10 AM.