What profession are you using to make gold?

What's up guys. I'm making a new alt, and so I need profession to go along with him. I was wondering though, which professions are you currently using to make tons of gold. Right now my other character has Mining/BS, and this gave me a good amount of money to level up a profession, so I shouldn't need a gathering profession to get mats. But anyways, let me know what you are currently using, it would be interesting to see what you guys think is the best at making gold. Thanks ahead of time!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Right now I would honestly say inscripting/herb. If you level them simultaneously, it will work out well. However with every DMF that passes, inscription makes less money.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

I was leaning towards this option, actually. Do the Mysterious Fortune Cards still make good money, or have people come to their senses?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a few people on my server that use them to make money. Mostly because the 5k cards can be sold to people server xfer'ing
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

Deleted
    All servers are different.Whats your idea of a ton of money and are you prepared to put in the time? I think DMF is now on its way out and unless you have a herbalist to supply mats then you will see the costs of herbs skyroclet as their rarity increases value. I tend to look at professions in terms of utility at the moment. I find jc is prettu good on my server but you need the cuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've managed to make a decent amount with skinning/LW, what with LW covering epics for 5 classes, plus the leg enchants, it doesn't take much time/effort to make the epics, especially once you're exalted with tillers and can get 16 motes of harmony per day with almost no effort. It's not as good now that the 476s don't sell for much, but they still sell decently for very little actual effort, and once you can afford to buy blood spirits and make 496s, you should be able to make some decent profits. I assume the same would go for the other crafting professions (at least BS/Tailoring) JC is generally always good, same with Enchanting, as long as you put the effort in. Gathering professions aren't always high yield, but they're basically steady income for as much effort you put in.

Depends on if you want high risk or low risk, you level of commitment, etc.

I go for Blacksmithing/mining and Skinning/LW. I must say, they are my best money maker. I earn decent income from the crafted items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ton of gold is always so vague. I make gold through a lot of professions combined, all of them seperately are not what I'd call a ton, but combined....

If you don't have one yet I'd say either go JC or Enchanting. Those are the pretty much guaranteed pay off professions once you hit max level. Though both will take time to really rake in the gold. For JC you'll need the cuts and for Enchanting the rare recipes, which at the moment means a gigantic rep grind to get Shado-pan & August Celestials revered (and to get those even started you need Golden Lotus revered)

If the cost of leveling either of those is a bit steep on your server (and it very well might be, both are among the most expensive to level) then might I suggest going for the ultimate cheapo solution of leveling herb/alchemist. With a tiny bit of planning you can level Alchemy for free and get herbs left over to sell as well, making it a net profit leveling. Then once max level you can try to turn that profit into JC/enchanting while dropping herbing. Having a max level Transmute alchemist will mean cheap Living Steel for your BS and transmute procs on your gem transmutes if you decide to make a JC. (you can even do the gem transmutes without a JC of course, if you know the prices on your market well enough and are confident enough you can shift the raw gems on your server)

Deleted
    What is the best profession for Mag? I mean the most profitable I just create my character but i don't know which profession should i choose :P

Quote Originally Posted by kitt View Post
    What is the best profession for Mag? I mean the most profitable I just create my character but i don't know which profession should i choose :P
    Any of them CAN be profitable. It really falls on the player to determine which strategies will yield the most profit on his/her realm. There are a lot of recipies/strats where you can make a small profit (5-10 gold) off of a small investment (5-10g), effectively doubling your money, but may or may not be high throughput. For someone new to the game or new to the gold "minigame", your best bet will be to find a handful of strategies and focus on them. For instance, perhaps your server has a very high demand/price for infinite dust, and say you have enchanting and jewelcrafting as professions. What you should do is look at both professions and your AH prices and find out how you can produce a steady stream of infinite dust at costs well below market value for infinite dust. There are several ways to do this, but you need to determine for yourself which strategy will nab you the biggest profit. The more experienced you get with playing the AH and the game in general you can branch out to new markets. Once you get a sizable bank roll going you can level alts professions and get into more speculative/risky strategies and that is where the big money comes. With every profession maxed and 30-60 minutes per day of AH browsing you can easily bring in 10k per day without ever leaving a city.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on your server economy, fishing/cooking can bring in decent money.

cooking is alright, only sells well on tuesday.

Deleted
    Thanks! It's very helpful not only for me but also for other Mags :P