Page 1 of 12
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient Olli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    208

    [Megathread] FarCry 3

    Hey guys!

    FarCry 3 just got released. Discuss your views on this game. What did you found out, do you like the game and what would you like to see changed?

    Increase your FPS (ESSENTIAL!)

    Best mission!

    First 10 minutes:

    Easter egg!

    Trailer:
    Last edited by Olli; 2012-12-08 at 10:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Over 9000! Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California (vacation)
    Posts
    9,663
    I really loved Far Cry (the first one). The campaign was nice, and the game was fun to play LAN. Played it for many years now.

    Played Far Cry 2, never got far with the campaign, and the multiplayer was kinda "ugh", because it had a stupid diamond system, that basically gave the people who killed everybody the means to be even better at killing everybody. Although it wasn't THAT bad, but kinda silly nonetheless, especially since it was going to be my "fun LAN" game.

    The campaign seems awesome in this one, and I HOPE the multiplayer will be fun for a little group of LAN players too.
    Belief can become reality!

  3. #3
    The Patient Olli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I really loved Far Cry (the first one). The campaign was nice, and the game was fun to play LAN. Played it for many years now.

    Played Far Cry 2, never got far with the campaign, and the multiplayer was kinda "ugh", because it had a stupid diamond system, that basically gave the people who killed everybody the means to be even better at killing everybody. Although it wasn't THAT bad, but kinda silly nonetheless, especially since it was going to be my "fun LAN" game.

    The campaign seems awesome in this one, and I HOPE the multiplayer will be fun for a little group of LAN players too.
    This one feels quite grim. I actually got a bit paranoid playing certain missions. Maybe it's just me..

  4. #4
    I thought it came out December 4th. How is it out already?

  5. #5
    Wikipedia says that NA release is 4/12, Aus and EU is 29/11

  6. #6
    So people who pirate it will get it before American people,haha.

  7. #7
    The Patient Olli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    So people who pirate it will get it before American people,haha.
    It's out here in Europe!

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,157
    I never played a far cry game before, but I will get this one (still waiting on my product key!!)

    The game looks really good though. I'm mostly excited for the map editor and the open world. The campaign looks amazing aswell.


    Also I got a question: Is Uplay required for this game? I don't mind it, just asking.
    Last edited by Harnace; 2012-11-29 at 08:42 AM.

  9. #9
    I have it waiting for me to play when i get home from work, i have a feeling today will be a long day at the office....
    {◕ ◡ ◕}

  10. #10
    The Patient Olli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Aluano View Post
    I never played a far cry game before, but I will get this one (still waiting on my product key!!)

    The game looks really good though. I'm mostly excited for the map editor and the open world. The campaign looks amazing aswell.


    Also I got a question: Is Uplay required for this game? I don't mind it, just asking.
    it is but its alright

  11. #11
    about to buy this, but apparently its not for sale on steam in the UK

    so i went here http://www.greenmangaming.com/

    and its 30% off with code so its £24.

    ive watched TBs review of it, looks very god, though i heard the multiplayer is very bad.
    ive never really played far cry before aside from some multiplayer with friends on far cry instincts.

    my main question, how well would this game run with a evga 560 ti. im not expecting to play at ultra settings.


    and i dont know much about the game, but from what i can tell, its kind of like skyrim, but with guns? and set on an island. there is a main story you can follow or do side quests, but its a completely open world like Skyims?

    thanks to anyone who answers.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 08:23 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    it is but its alright
    is Uplay like Origin?

    why do companied keep forcing us to use these silly things
    Too cool for a signature

  12. #12
    Field Marshal Sacromental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    In your Washing Machine, Stealing your Socks
    Posts
    69
    Despite some clunky Install issues. i.e. installing Uplay (what another steam-esque product to clog up your storage space) and not having clear instructions how to download the Insane Edition's DLC (its in the options tag btw), I so happy with this game, Havn't looked forward to as much this year, even with Halo4 and Black ops recent releases.

    The controls are responsive, and looks amazing even on my middle-brow computer. You can see alot of effot has gone into making the game accessable to people who cannot afford these higher end pc's. My only gripe is the similiar one i had with Skyrim, a lot of the menus such as the gun rotation screen is catered towards console players, wanting to buy Skyui for Far Cry 3.

    As for the actual game itself, it feels and plays a lot like Far Cry 2, which is good as it is familiar. There are number of great new features such as the Hand Gliding, as well as Takedowns that allow the player to be far more stealthy. The campaign is fun, but a little linear. In Far Cry 2 you were given decisions on who you would want to win, and while both lead to the same ending, at least you had a choice. Have yet to see any og the encounter shown in trailer or any E3 footage that was presented in the campaign as of yet.

    The missions them selves seem kind of stock standard of a (i want to say Sandbox?) shooter rpg. Go to location X, kill all enemies, loot corpses, get ambushed, kill all enemies again, loot corpses. WIN. There are multiple ways to approach the situations, its kind of expected in a free world game. But i'm still reletivly early in the story, I will prob omit this in the future. However with the staggering amount of extra content you do (or I do =d) spend a while just dicking around between Missions. Hunting animals, climbing Radio Towers, looking for Lost Letters, ancient Idols, and Memory Cards, competing in Manhunts, hunting competitions, or just exploring the world there is plaenty to do, all of which contributing to your tattoo. Though with most of the above the game makes it kind of easy, but you'll see once you in the game.

    Have yet to try multiplayer, or coop (have no friends lol).

    Its something different in a Shooter that we havn't seen since Far Cry 2, and the game itself appeals to a very niche market. My only recomendation is don't be fooled by an illusion it being an individual experiance. Inspite of difficulty, and/or some weapon modificaiton and cosmetic choices, every single persons game will prob end up the same way. Your playing as Jason, and his story will only go one way, prob.
    I could be wrong but I doubt it

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    about to buy this, but apparently its not for sale on steam in the UK

    so i went here http://www.greenmangaming.com/

    and its 30% off with code so its £24.

    ive watched TBs review of it, looks very god, though i heard the multiplayer is very bad.
    ive never really played far cry before aside from some multiplayer with friends on far cry instincts.

    my main question, how well would this game run with a evga 560 ti. im not expecting to play at ultra settings.


    and i dont know much about the game, but from what i can tell, its kind of like skyrim, but with guns? and set on an island. there is a main story you can follow or do side quests, but its a completely open world like Skyims?

    thanks to anyone who answers.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 08:23 PM ----------



    is Uplay like Origin?

    why do companied keep forcing us to use these silly things

    Because they think it will stop pirating. Which is doesn't. At all. The game crackers love it when there's junk like Uplay on a game. Just gives them a challeng, which they thrive on.

    I wonder when publishers will get it through their incredibly thick skulls. STOP PUTTING CRAP DRM ON YOUR PRODUCTS! You do nothing but hurt your legitimate customers with it.

  14. #14
    Wow. this looks Pretty damn awsome. im so glad im getting an SSD in the next couple days to boost my PCs preformance.
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

  15. #15
    i bought it from GMG, where on earth are there servers? downloading it at like 400kb/s, usually get a steady 1.5-2mbs on steam.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 09:20 PM ----------

    actually, i bought this on GMG, is there point me downloading it on GMGs capsule client thing? or should i just download it on uplay? can i even do that?
    Too cool for a signature

  16. #16
    The Patient Olli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    208
    It's pretty demanding for my pc and I run BF3 on my pc on ultra just fine..

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    It's pretty demanding for my pc and I run BF3 on my pc on ultra just fine..

    well i hope it can run on mine :P

    my PC isnt amazing, but its not completely shit either. i dont mind playing on normal settings, just hope i dont have to go on low settings.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 11:36 PM ----------

    this takes so long to setup!

    spent like 3hours downloading, 30mins installing, now its doing an update which is going incredibly slow! if my bytes -> GB conversion is right, the update is 2,7gb. how can there be a 2.7gb update the day of release?!

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 01:16 AM ----------

    am i doing something wrong? its been doing this update for over an hour, its only 2.7gb, doesn't tell you the download speed, but i imagine its somewhere around 2kb/s.
    Last edited by peggleftw; 2012-11-29 at 11:37 PM.
    Too cool for a signature

  18. #18
    Bloodsail Admiral Torched's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    1,095
    If anybody is wondering if its actually good..... its FUCKING AMAZING!
    Its FAR FAR better than I thought it would be, the graphics are awesome and how the character behaves is just awesome as well.
    The main villain is a pure genius.
    The Island is gigantic and very nicely made, I pretty much just love everything about the game. Its so much better then Farcry 2.
    Last edited by Torched; 2012-11-30 at 02:45 AM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    If anybody is wondering if its actually good..... its FUCKING AMAZING!
    Its FAR FAR better than I thought it would be, the graphics are awesome and how the character behaves is just awesome as well.
    The main villain is a pure genius.
    The Island is gigantic and very nicely made, I pretty much just love everything about the game. Its so much better then Farcry 2.

    i finally got to play it for about an hour before going to bed now, and it is beautiful, so far the game is brilliant. I've decided to go for a slow stealthy approach, took a side mission earlier to knife a guy who was killing animals, turned out to be 4 at the camp, it took me about 15 mins to do it my way, but I slowly separated them and took each one down with the knife 1 by 1. It felt good. Though I could have completed it in 2mins if I just ran in and shot them all, but where the fun in that?

    this game is going to be like skyrim all over again for me, it's going to take me so long to complete the story as I will probably just be exploring and admiring the views all over again.


    also, I'm running I. Mostly high settings with a 560ti without any issues so far, might try and crank a few settings up to ultra, but I don't want to over do it.
    Last edited by peggleftw; 2012-11-30 at 02:51 AM.
    Too cool for a signature

  20. #20
    The Patient Olli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    208
    For me it's GOTY.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •