Item upgrading and sockets tip

Figure I'd put it in raids & dungeons since it's more relevant to have altering bis lists for well... raiders.

Anyways one thing I've noticed is that as you all know a gem socket takes item budget. Except when you upgrade an item the secondary / primary stats are increased by a % instead of a strict number.

Say one item lvl upgrade of 4 increases every stat by 4%

If you have a socket that takes up 20/100 item budget you will now have a 4% increase to 80/100 opposed to 4% of 100/100.
    These numbers are very small when it comes to single items but in some cases I've been noticing for myself that extra 20~ secondary stats is enough to make a 2nd bis item full on bis.

Deleted
    That is quite useful to know I didn't think of that.

So upgrading items with a lot of sockets is usually a bad idea, if there are other alternatives? I'll definitely pass this on to my guildies.

On the other hand, chests/legs (the two items that generally have "more" sockets, AKA 2), have far more stats as a base, than gloves/shoulders/jewellery etc - thus it shouldn't matter, in the end?
    Although I'd say that you should look into tier legs, I think they only have one socket instead of two (and gloves have none, so you probably don't want to use those over an offpiece WITH a socket).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    On the other hand, chests/legs (the two items that generally have "more" sockets, AKA 2), have far more stats as a base, than gloves/shoulders/jewellery etc - thus it shouldn't matter, in the end?
    Although I'd say that you should look into tier legs, I think they only have one socket instead of two (and gloves have none, so you probably don't want to use those over an offpiece WITH a socket).
    I think he is comparing a chest with 2 sockets with a chest that has 3 and that when 2/2 the 2 socket chest will have higher stats due to less of the budget at 0/2 being spent on sockets meaning if the 3 socket was bis at 0/2 it might be that the 2 socket is bis at 2/2

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone smart go make a tool that shows us what our stats will be like when we upgrade various pieces of armor.

So something like
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=86955 (Waistplate of Overwhelming Assault) with 2 gem slots
    str 866 sta 1538 ha 653 ma 520 <-- no upgrade
    str 932 sta 1656 ha 703 ma 560 <-- 2 upgrades
    yellow and blue sockets, 120 haste

compares to http://www.wowhead.com/item=87185 (Protector's Girdle of Endless Spring) with one gem slot
    str 699 sta 1538 dod 986 exp 479 <-- no upgrade
    str 753 sta 1656 dod 1062 exp 516 <-- 2 upgrades
    blue socket, bonus 60 dodge

I don't think that pushes the second belt into a BiS for me because dodge is so meh, but assuming equally nice stats would double-upgraded belt 2 beat out double-upgraded belt 1?