Thread: Heroic Space

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean I sympathize with you, totally. If they could really highlight the Star aspect of the Wars, they might find themselves with a really unique product. Unfortunately it seems that must wait. Like I said, I'm fine with having rewards interwoven into the system so that it's actually worth doing...it might encourage people to spend a little real money on it, which I'm sure is what they were going for.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post

Super Secret Space Project.

Sorry. I thought everyone who would care enough to respond to this thread would at least have followed every post, interview, and mutterings from bioware surrounding space.
    Clearly you did not. Sometime ( A long time ) ago there was an interview(Q-A event), and Bioware cleary stated that new space missions are no the SSSP.

Lol was anyone expecting a "super secret space project"? Whatever they had was decapitated a long time ago.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Odegon View Post
    Clearly you did not. Sometime ( A long time ) ago there was an interview(Q-A event), and Bioware cleary stated that new space missions are no the SSSP.
    This.

HK knows that though. He knows the quote. He knew before the blog that the missions would not be the SSSP mentioned by Bioware in January, April, June and August. I'm lost as to how people can take these new missions (which were clearly stated by Bioware as NOT being the SSSP) and presume it means the project is no longer being worked on.

I have no clue if the project is still being worked on. I have no insider info but I go on what was stated by Bioware many times in the last year:

1) 'The project is still ongoing' (mentioned last in Aug 2012)
    2) 'The project is NOT the new on rails missions' (June 2012)

People are free to read whatever they want into things but BW have had a problem with their communication for a long time now and the lack of SSSP details in the recent space blog means about as much as most speculation on this forum does.

I submitted the question (Is the SSSP still alive?) for the upcoming live streaming Q/A. With luck we'll have some actual facts to play with about the SSSP.

HK, and other space enthusiasts, hang in there. We knew months ago these space missions weren't part of the infamous SSSP.
    Last edited by mmoc3d23c7f243; 2012-11-29 at 08:03 AM.

and presume it means the project is no longer being worked on.
    Probably has something to do with the fact that the game fell apart, the entire dev team (or at least that which the public knew) has been fired and it is now going in a different (F2P) direction.

They are not on the same path they were back during the Guild Summit, and they probably were too proud to admit that they scrapped the project entirely; they'll keep giving out smaller, smaller, smaller and smaller hints until people eventually forget about it, or those who haven't forgotten about it realize that it's the equivalent of the hot girl constantly telling you "I'm busy tonight, sorry, maybe next week" whenever you ask her out for a date.

Some of you guys are as oblivious as the 31 year old Austrian who keeps asking (and failing to get) my girlfriend out.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-11-29 at 08:06 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    1) Probably has something to do with the fact that the game fell apart, the entire dev team (or at least that which the public knew) has been fired and it is now going in a different (F2P) direction.

2) They probably were too proud to admit that they scrapped the project entirely.

3) They'll keep giving out smaller, smaller, smaller and smaller hints until people eventually forget about it.

4) Some of you guys are as oblivious as the 31 year old Austrian who keeps asking my girlfriend out.
    1) The Guild summit was February. The firings were May-July. The F2P announcement was July. In August BW mentioned the SSSP was still ongoing.

2) It's possible. It would be a terrible way to conduct themselves though as it's rather a large subject to be misleading about.

3) Where are the hints? Their lack of communication? How is that a hint as BW have been terrible at communication since 2008 imo.

4) Oblivious to what?

In conclusion, I have no clue if the project is still alive. I just don't believe that the blog posted yesterday hints at anything, at least not if you've been following this subject and the sparse BW communication regarding it. Like all good speculation, we'll find out when actual facts are released.

I personally will wait til Feb 2013 before giving up hope. The 1st year anniversary will be December and the Ilum event is/was scheduled for Jan. Makeb should be announced at that point. After Makeb there's no reason to not talk about the SSSP if it exists. Seems like as good a time as any for me to stop believing in the SSSP. 'C'mon BW, old buddy, don't let me down'.
    Last edited by mmoc3d23c7f243; 2012-11-29 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamos77 View Post
    This.

HK knows that though. He knows the quote. He knew before the blog that the missions would not be the SSSP mentioned by Bioware in January, April, June and August. I'm lost as to how people can take these new missions (which were clearly stated by Bioware as NOT being the SSSP) and presume it means the project is no longer being worked on.

I have no clue if the project is still being worked on. I have no insider info but I go on what was stated by Bioware many times in the last year:

1) 'The project is still ongoing' (mentioned last in Aug 2012)
    2) 'The project is NOT the new on rails missions' (June 2012)

People are free to read whatever they want into things but BW have had a problem with their communication for a long time now and the lack of SSSP details in the recent space blog means about as much as most speculation on this forum does.

I submitted the question (Is the SSSP still alive?) for the upcoming live streaming Q/A. With luck we'll have some actual facts to play with about the SSSP.

HK, and other space enthusiasts, hang in there. We knew months ago these space missions weren't part of the infamous SSSP.
    Agree, there is no indication that SSSP has been cancelled. Stop jumping to conclusions people.

Quote Originally Posted by Odegon View Post
    Actually, I am well aware of that.
    I did not imply that anywhere in this thread.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 12:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    Agree, there is no indication that SSSP has been cancelled. Stop jumping to conclusions people.
    There's also been no alpha clips, no screen shots of anything but failrails, no dev blogs dedicated to what their goal with it is, no mention of it beyond "its still happening eventually" in like over half a year.

That all seems to be evidence of it being cancelled.

You know what it reminds me of? PVP in diablo 3.
    Hell, Bioware even had a jay wilson - eske "shut up, pvp guy" moment with the whole "han and chewie didn't go dicking around in space" shit.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

"The vastness of space. Mostly unexplored, yet teeming with life and possibilities.

Many spacers enjoy the serenity of the stars, the peace of floating through the Unknown Regions, wondering if they’re seeing events and phenomena never before witnessed by intelligent life"

pardon the language but WHAT A FUCKING SHIT for a joke is this. the vastness of space BS we are in a ship stuck on rails in a box.....mostly unexplored is RIGHT because we CANT EXPLORE it.......... enjoy the serenity of the stars WTF we are on a coaster that has NO wiggle room for gazing and SEEING said serenity....... the peace of floating through Unknown Regions, Bull to quote the Sith here Peace is a LIE I feel more rage than anything for the fact that we cant go into said unknown regions......seeing events and phenomena WHAT events and phenomena all i see is a bunch of ships or mines that need killin or some dumbass piolt that feels the UNRELENTING NEED to fly into every single cruiser and snub fighter and see just how long they can live...... never before witnessed by intelligent life DAMN STRAIGHT being as NOBODY at BW or EA are "intelligent" for taking a great experience and destroying a game that HAD soooo much great potential to be a big contenda..........

BW/EA please for ALLL the cartel coins in the galaxy STOP describing a Tie fighter a Tie fighter like it is a Super Star Destroyer. there is nothing remotely exciting about MOAR rails where there is NOTHING to see NOTHING to explore no Serenity what so ever no vastness of the Unknown Regions and keeping us wondering when you will FINALLY realize that you are killing your game and its fanbase each and every time your dev blogs try to sound exciting and are nothing but .............

ok ok im done ending rant it just hurts that this is the 2nd space franchise that some idiots that THOUGHT they were "intelligent" and could make a great game and FAIL HORRIBLY

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    "The vastness of space. Mostly unexplored, yet teeming with life and possibilities.

Many spacers enjoy the serenity of the stars, the peace of floating through the Unknown Regions, wondering if they’re seeing events and phenomena never before witnessed by intelligent life"

pardon the language but WHAT A FUCKING SHIT for a joke is this. the vastness of space BS we are in a ship stuck on rails in a box.....mostly unexplored is RIGHT because we CANT EXPLORE it.......... enjoy the serenity of the stars WTF we are on a coaster that has NO wiggle room for gazing and SEEING said serenity....... the peace of floating through Unknown Regions, Bull to quote the Sith here Peace is a LIE I feel more rage than anything for the fact that we cant go into said unknown regions......seeing events and phenomena WHAT events and phenomena all i see is a bunch of ships or mines that need killin or some dumbass piolt that feels the UNRELENTING NEED to fly into every single cruiser and snub fighter and see just how long they can live...... never before witnessed by intelligent life DAMN STRAIGHT being as NOBODY at BW or EA are "intelligent" for taking a great experience and destroying a game that HAD soooo much great potential to be a big contenda..........

BW/EA please for ALLL the cartel coins in the galaxy STOP describing a Tie fighter a Tie fighter like it is a Super Star Destroyer. there is nothing remotely exciting about MOAR rails where there is NOTHING to see NOTHING to explore no Serenity what so ever no vastness of the Unknown Regions and keeping us wondering when you will FINALLY realize that you are killing your game and its fanbase each and every time your dev blogs try to sound exciting and are nothing but .............

ok ok im done ending rant it just hurts that this is the 2nd space franchise that some idiots that THOUGHT they were "intelligent" and could make a great game and FAIL HORRIBLY
    You will be glad to know that the swtor.com boards agree with you about 10 to 1.

If the sheer amount of rage and hatred directed at their discussion of that dev blog isn't a wake up call I don't know what is.

Then again 36,000 posts against fail rails didn't get their attention...
    And they shut down the poll where 97% of the people responding preferred off rails or capital ships compared to fail rails.

So only 3% of people like what swtor has made for space.

So they shut down that thread/poll.

Maybe they won't get it.

You will be glad to know that the swtor.com boards agree with you about 10 to 1.

If the sheer amount of rage and hatred directed at their discussion of that dev blog isn't a wake up call I don't know what is.

Then again 36,000 posts against fail rails didn't get their attention...
    And they shut down the poll where 97% of the people responding preferred off rails or capital ships compared to fail rails.

So only 3% of people like what swtor has made for space.

So they shut down that thread/poll.

Maybe they won't get it.
    man im REALLY missing SWG now i need a good space sim fix.......

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Probably has something to do with the fact that the game fell apart, the entire dev team (or at least that which the public knew) has been fired and it is now going in a different (F2P) direction.
    No. Nowhere even close to the entire dev team was let go. A number of people were but not even half of the Devs are gone. A large number of people they let go were actually content writes and people tied to the community side of things and not Devs at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    I may be among the few people out there.. but I actually DO like the rails / shooter space missions. They where a nice break / diversion from the rest of the game. Hell when I didnt have much time, sometimes I would log on just to knock out a couple of those. Not that I wouldnt love to see them do something else, but im satisfied with what they have and I just wanted more.

I would be, given the current state of the game, completely and utterly shocked and amazed to see anything as expensive to develop and divergent from whats already in the game as a full revamp of the space content. I just dont see it happening. Would love it but dont expect to see that ever really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good for you.
    Let me guess: you're a Star Wars fan who got let down by the game but still holds hope because hey, it's Star Wars! Right?

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Let me guess: you're a Star Wars fan who got let down by the game but still holds hope because hey, it's Star Wars! Right?
    Pretty much.
    I thought, "Hey, the history of star wars video games is pretty much half space game half ground game. If EA is going to make a star wars mmo, they wouldn't just leave half the star wars universe out of it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much.
    I thought, "Hey, the history of star wars video games is pretty much half space game half ground game. If EA is going to make a star wars mmo, they wouldn't just leave half the star wars universe out of it!"
    Ignoring the "space" argument, did you really think a Star Wars MMO could live up to the Star Wars name?
    For me, the first thing I though when I heard about ToR is "Wait, what? Are they gonna make lightsabers, who are known to just slash through stuff, do 75% weapon damage?!"
    You can make a good RPG out of Star Wars. Even a FPS.... But an MMO? Highly doubt it would live up to the name of Star Wars. Especially without most of the characters that, at least most of us, know and are a huge part of why we/they like about Star Wars.
    So again, ignoring the space argument, this game would be 10 times better if Yoda was around.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    It's more like HK said. We get fluff pieces touting the greatness of how mysterious this 'harder rail shooter' is. For people like him, this is just a horror story in the making where it seems they are further entrenched in this design. They aren't going to just scrap their former version of space for a completely new one. Even if the SSS is involved in an expansion, it can't just supercede the original creation. They won't retroactively take out or modify all these space functions they have designed.

So it's not a matter of jumping to conclusions, just more and more the possibility of having a truly epic space experience is slipping away from people.

I'll reiterate that I'm totally fine with space on rails being expanded. This is a the first step in my ideas for improving this model of space. The rest being adding customizable cosmetic features to the interior and exterior and basically turning it into full player housing (instead of half assed housing like it is now).

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    A more freeform space experience could coexist with the on-rails shooter model. There's no reason to scrap anything.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Deleted
    Maybe if they implemented something like Mass Effect's space system, you choose the sector you want to go and then fly to the planets, moons, or stations you want to go too in a free flying area that contains it, having the rail shooters works for now, but it does need something else in the long term.

I would compare swtor's space to galaga... But galaga actually gave you more control over your ship. The distance you could maneuver was about 14 ships widths where as swtor you really only have 1.5 ships widths of movement from the center.

Never mind that this:

Was happening in 1994.