1. #1
    The Lightbringer LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,071

    [General] Trinket Upgrading Question

    I have Light of the Cosmos (489) and Relic of Yu'lon (476). I will be upgrading my Celestial Spark wand and then one of the trinkets. Completely forgot which sims higher, so just asking here.

  2. #2
    Keyboard Turner Corylahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Taken from the fire mage sticky. Page 6 post #103.

    Light of Cosmos (H)
    Essence of Terror (H)
    Light of Cosmos (N)
    Relic of Yu’lon
    Essence of Terror (N)
    Light of Cosmos (RF)
    Jade Magistrate/Blossom of Pure Snow
    Essence of Terror (RF)
    Zen Alch
    Vision of Predator
    Mithril Wristwatch
    Flashfrozen Resin Glob
    Dragonling

    (yes, NM Light of Cosmos > Relic of Yu'lon... I was wrong to reverse that to begin with)

  3. #3
    Don't forget there will be new items (waist, shoes, trinket, ring) in the next patch which I think will also require points. Maybe the points are better invested into those items then into upgrading items, which you will be replace with the heroic version sooner or later.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,071
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Don't forget there will be new items (waist, shoes, trinket, ring) in the next patch which I think will also require points. Maybe the points are better invested into those items then into upgrading items, which you will be replace with the heroic version sooner or later.
    Eh I am not one for dailies. Granted when I get on the quest where you need the 6k VP I will finally start, but I honestly can't stand them enough now so it doesn't apply too much

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Don't forget there will be new items (waist, shoes, trinket, ring) in the next patch which I think will also require points. Maybe the points are better invested into those items then into upgrading items, which you will be replace with the heroic version sooner or later.
    Only thing those is i think those items in particular from Operation: Shieldwall/Dominance Offensive can't be upgraded.

  6. #6
    Upgrading Yu'lon aint that big of an upgrade, at least compared to upgrading your wep. Its like 74 int + 235 int on the proc so it averages to around 147 int upgrade.. Which is not a lot compared to upgrading your weapon..

    So I'd say wait for a bit and find out whats your BiS list with the new upgrade system looks like and upgrade those items, given if you dont think you'll kill heroic sha this patch its pretty safe to upgrade yu'lon

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by PantsDePeon View Post
    Only thing those is i think those items in particular from Operation: Shieldwall/Dominance Offensive can't be upgraded.
    Thought I could upgrade anything? + if I have a 476 Item in a slot which I can upgrade to a 496 Item it is a bigger upgrade then upgrading something from 489 to 497. Of course it also depends what you are raiding and which items you can access.

  8. #8
    The real question is why on earth would you waste valor points upgrading rep gear that isn't Best in Slot?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Thought I could upgrade anything? + if I have a 476 Item in a slot which I can upgrade to a 496 Item it is a bigger upgrade then upgrading something from 489 to 497. Of course it also depends what you are raiding and which items you can access.
    Not always, for example, a weapon upgrade is just as expensive as a wrist update. Say you want to upgrade wrist from 476 to 496, you intellect will go from 566 to 682. 1250 vp for 116 main stats, while you off stats will increase with 134.

    Compair that to a weapon, for example the Elegon wand. Intellect +37, off stats +47, but spellpower +507.

    Now, I dont have exact stats weights for me, but lets say both wrist and weap have int, crit and haste on in, with stats weights of int=4 spellpower=3 haste and crit=2. Not 100% accurate, but close enough.

    So, basicly, you wrist is worth (116*4)+(134*2)=732 for 1250 vp, devided by 5 = 164.4 for 250 vp
    your weapon is worth (37*4)+(507*3)+(47*2)=1763 for 1500 vp, devided by 6 = 292.17 for 250 vp

    So, basicly, you really want to consider upgrading a weapon before you buy VP rep gear. More ilvl is not always better.

    @imnick. Perhaps because the goal is not BiS but killing bosses?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    @imnick. Perhaps because the goal is not BiS but killing bosses?
    Relic of Yu'Lon is best in slot until you kill Heroic Sha and doesn't require killing any bosses at all.
    Don't upgrade the new VP trinket until you've fully upgraded a Relic of Yu'Lon.
    The new trinket also costs VP so it is impossible that you will have enough to fully upgrade your Relic and also buy that trinket and then upgrade that too.

  11. #11
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    932
    its also taking a while till you have the needed reputation to buy any of the new vp items so dont bother with it now

  12. #12
    On top of this, the VP trinket is outweighed by every single raid trinket, even on Raid Finder mode.
    The Shado-Pan trinket is better!

    If you really have no BiS items to upgrade and no Relic of Yu'Lon you still wouldn't want to waste VP on this item.

  13. #13
    Dreadlord Cycobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a tree
    Posts
    926
    You should base your upgrades on you current progression status.

    If you have a boss on farm or are close to killing a Heroic boss which drops upgrades for the item you're thinking about upgrading; your valor is potentially wasted.
    For example: OP currently has Relic of Yu'lon and LotC N.

    IF OP was close to Elegon HC kill; Relic is a better upgrade -> Upgrading LotC when you could soon replace it with a better version, so your valor is better spent upgrading Relic.
    IF, however, OP (for some reason, this isn't very logical progression-wise, but oh well) was close to HC Sha kill and miles away from HC Elegon kill, upgrading LotC is a better upgrade as you'll possibly be replacing Relic.

    Upgrades will be situational at all times, based upon your progression status.

    Reserving upgrades for BiS items will end up being a waste of valor; they were designed to aid progression not to boost your epeen.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    You should base your upgrades on you current progression status.

    If you have a boss on farm or are close to killing a Heroic boss which drops upgrades for the item you're thinking about upgrading; your valor is potentially wasted.
    For example: OP currently has Relic of Yu'lon and LotC N.

    IF OP was close to Elegon HC kill; Relic is a better upgrade -> Upgrading LotC when you could soon replace it with a better version, so your valor is better spent upgrading Relic.
    IF, however, OP (for some reason, this isn't very logical progression-wise, but oh well) was close to HC Sha kill and miles away from HC Elegon kill, upgrading LotC is a better upgrade as you'll possibly be replacing Relic.

    Upgrades will be situational at all times, based upon your progression status.

    Reserving upgrades for BiS items will end up being a waste of valor; they were designed to aid progression not to boost your epeen.
    Most BiS items are obtainable without having killed every boss, and it costs a fairly substantial amount of valor to fully upgrade an item.
    Pooling it until you have something is going to save you valor in the long run and have you better prepared for 5.2

  15. #15
    Dreadlord Cycobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a tree
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Most BiS items are obtainable without having killed every boss, and it costs a fairly substantial amount of valor to fully upgrade an item.
    Pooling it until you have something is going to save you valor in the long run and have you better prepared for 5.2
    Whilst the first point you make is correct, pooling Valor COULD end up leading to a waste if you get bad RNG; ergo it's better to use Upgrades based on current progression status. Doing things is this way *might* lead you to be less prepared for 5.2, but if the BiS item you're hoping to drop off a boss doesn't and continues not to do so (not so un-common in 10mans) then you'll still likely go into 5.2 and raid 5.2 content without having that particular slot BiS. Therefore, if you're pooling Valor based on BiS you could end up wasting a capped resource which is far less beneficial than using the resource, and has the potential to leave you less prepared for 5.2 than if you use your valor.

  16. #16
    Well obviously I am assuming the person I am talking about has a brain and will use some if they would otherwise have run over the cap, as long as they do that then it is still a benefit to hold onto it because going into Normal mode in 5.2 in Heroic gear means you will not be struggling with enrage timers anyway and will have the valor spare for upgrading THAT.

  17. #17
    Dreadlord Cycobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a tree
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Well obviously I am assuming the person I am talking about has a brain and will use some if they would otherwise have run over the cap, as long as they do that then it is still a benefit to hold onto it because going into Normal mode in 5.2 in Heroic gear means you will not be struggling with enrage timers anyway and will have the valor spare for upgrading THAT.
    Hence; upgrades will always be situational, depending on your progression status

  18. #18
    Bloodsail Admiral Nathyiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,168
    I have made a little comparison between upgrade in gear.
    If I look at some fact:

    • Upgrade will cost 2x750 VP for every slot.
    • some slot give more stat than other.

    So if I list all slots by the amount of stat they gives:
    1. weapon (spell power)
    2. head, chest & legs
    3. trinkets
    4. shoulders, hands, waist & feet
    5. neck, back, wrist, rings and off-hands

    Trinkets give more int/stat than shoulders but the proc/on-use give only half the secondary, so I place them at the same level.
    Trinkets give same stat in average than Heads/Chest/Legs but without gem.

    With this, what can be seen for upgrade?
    • Weapon is the first priority (and Staff is only slot).
    • Head, chest and Legs are top priority.
    Last edited by Nathyiel; 2012-11-28 at 01:59 PM.
    The answers is 42
    -------------------------
    Nathyiel, TempteÐ (sargeras-EU) - @Nathyiel

  19. #19
    hello felow mages. my current raid team doesnt have any warrior. whenever i play with a warrior together, i manage to save my macro and cds for the time the warrior uses his skull banner. with that tact i always making big ignites= big combutions. since my raid team doesnt have any warrior now i bought the valor trinket with use of crit and i use it with my cds to have more luck to build biger ignites. my other trinkets are the relic and the rf elegon trinket. what you say its better to use? my crit stays the same at all cases. at case i use at first slot rf elegon trinket reforged to crit its gives the same crit as i use the other 2 that have passive intelect but i loose the haste. at any case im soft haste caped.

    any thoghts?
    p.s. sorry for my english

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •