Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    88

    [Fire] Stealth buff?

    I am a noob fire Mage but during our raid last night in MSV and HoF I managed to jump 30-40k dps from what I have been doing in previous weeks but I haven't gained that much gear of note. Has the change from pyroblast ticks affecting combustion but the increase in damage actually improved fire DPS? I may have just been lucky and actually played properly but as far as I could tell I did everything exactly as I have been for about 3 weeks now. Has anyone else noticed a jump in dps? Or did I just happen to do what I was meant to do. :P

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    You would find your answer just by reading the patch notes. Combustion now does 100% of your ignite tick, instead of combining the pyro dot and ignite ticks. It ends up being a decent buff, I wouldn't be surprised if it were to be hotfixed soon.

  3. #3
    as he said combustion only goes off from your ignites now...it will most likely be hot fixed soon. I did 50k dps more than our feral who consistently gets top world logs.

  4. #4
    It's not a stealth buff, it's a regular buff

  5. #5
    For once, combustion works as it should. Blizzard is working for a long time to fix ignite munching and fire rng and I believe that it is a fix and not a buff. So there will not be a hot fix as it works as intended now! I will be very disappointed if Blizzard nerf it because people will start whining about Fire Mages being so overpowered.
    Last edited by Alphamage; 2012-11-29 at 10:47 AM.

  6. #6
    This has nothing to do with Ignite munching. Munching really hasn't been a problem for a while now.

    And something being a fix doesn't also make it not a buff. Obviously it was an intentional change to Combustion, and we can assume the change was to fix *something*, but it's still a massive buff that puts Fire mages miles above everyone else with little effort. There needs to be something in place to curb the ridiculous Ignites (not ideal) or Combustion's interaction with them (preferable). And that something was the 3 second cooldown on Pyroblast which, quite rightly, was abandoned. But nothing has been added to take its place. But that something will come soon, because they can't leave us like this for very long.

  7. #7
    One thing they can do is decrease the Combustion ticks or decrease pyroblast damage I guess. 3 second cooldown in pyro is just stupid and that is why they rejected this change!

  8. #8
    Tbh I think its overpowered how it is now. Really overpowered. But don't tell anyone so bliz won't nerf us (because they will, unfortunatelly)

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamage View Post
    For once, combustion works as it should. Blizzard is working for a long time to fix ignite munching and fire rng and I believe that it is a fix and not a buff. So there will not be a hot fix as it works as intended now! I will be very disappointed if Blizzard nerf it because people will start whining about Fire Mages being so overpowered.
    Ignite munching is non-existant since they changed the way ignite works in mists.

  10. #10
    Field Marshal Shinerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Posts
    54
    If there is one class that needs a buff. It is mages...

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinerr View Post
    If there is one class that needs a buff. It is mages...
    I imagine that's sarcasm, but I'd agree that it's odd that Fire's been made stronger rather than Frost or Arcane.
    Arcane has been buffed but it's a bandaid fix that doesn't actually solve any real problems.

    I imagine the specs are close enough at this point that Blizzard doesn't care though. It is within the range of damage that they believe is acceptable, even if that differs from much of the playerbase who will insist that being anything but Fire is doing it wrong. I'd tend to sympathise with Blizzard as it is now certainly possible to beat most enrage timers even as Arcane.

  12. #12
    Stood in the Fire Kagecamia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hell aka Detroit
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinerr View Post
    If there is one class that needs a buff. It is mages...
    I play a lock main but these kinda of changes not only over buff fire damage but really just make the gap between mage dps and non mage dps even bigger

    How are the rest of us even able to compete in pve content? What is even possibly worse is that the change won't get reverted. Mage qq will ensue and blizz will just casually walk away and leave it.

  13. #13
    omg I'm so excited, crossing my fingers for an overnerf on fire. So tired of seeing bad players able to do great dps because their class and spec is so easy and overpowered.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I imagine that's sarcasm, but I'd agree that it's odd that Fire's been made stronger rather than Frost or Arcane.
    Arcane has been buffed but it's a bandaid fix that doesn't actually solve any real problems.

    I imagine the specs are close enough at this point that Blizzard doesn't care though. It is within the range of damage that they believe is acceptable, even if that differs from much of the playerbase who will insist that being anything but Fire is doing it wrong. I'd tend to sympathise with Blizzard as it is now certainly possible to beat most enrage timers even as Arcane.
    Ehh, frost is acceptable, unfortunately, all the mages I know are jaded and hate the concept that frost is a thing now.

  15. #15
    Mechagnome jtmzac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Ehh, frost is acceptable, unfortunately, all the mages I know are jaded and hate the concept that frost is a thing now.
    I would agree that this is how a lot of mages feel in general. I think a lot of people were used to fire being best in cata and don't like the idea of changing since in the end frost isn't as good as fire. You do feel like the odd mage out playing frost but at least you don't get called noob all the time like when you played arcane in cata...

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    I would agree that this is how a lot of mages feel in general. I think a lot of people were used to fire being best in cata and don't like the idea of changing since in the end frost isn't as good as fire. You do feel like the odd mage out playing frost but at least you don't get called noob all the time like when you played arcane in cata...
    If people realized how nooby fire was you would. The disparity in difficulty between classes and specs is kind of silly. Reminds me of BC when affliction was pretty similar to how it was now, and destruction was shadowbolt. Literally JUST shadowbolt, it was the only spell you had to cast for max dps.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I imagine that's sarcasm, but I'd agree that it's odd that Fire's been made stronger rather than Frost or Arcane.
    Arcane has been buffed but it's a bandaid fix that doesn't actually solve any real problems.

    I imagine the specs are close enough at this point that Blizzard doesn't care though. It is within the range of damage that they believe is acceptable, even if that differs from much of the playerbase who will insist that being anything but Fire is doing it wrong. I'd tend to sympathise with Blizzard as it is now certainly possible to beat most enrage timers even as Arcane.
    While I would say fire is the best spec for raiding, single target or overall. Aoe being the only area that frost can really pull ahead and that means little on bosses most of the time. Noxxic and a few other sites have fire as the weakest spec right now based on their spec set ups and sims. What I have done and seen doesn't match that info but they are not the only one saying stuff like this, they have been saying it the longest though. I can say in the last few days since the patch frost mages have been popping up faster then new gremlins at a pool party. I am sure many of those are just sheep following a percieved trend but there has to be something to it.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  18. #18
    a nerf might come our way soon

  19. #19
    Bloodsail Admiral Dutchmagoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Ehh, frost is acceptable, unfortunately, all the mages I know are jaded and hate the concept that frost is a thing now.
    Acceptable? Maybe if you're doing normals. If you're progressing, you're not going to be playing a much worse spec.
    Got questions about Fire mages or want your logs analyzed? Feel free to PM me.

    Dutchmagoz - 14/14HC world 90 - 3 days/week.

    Recruiting for Mythic raiding! Click or add Dutchiee#2877

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Noxxic
    Yes, well. There's the problem. Noxxic has a history of saying a lot of things that shouldn't really be listened to.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •