Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    1. BS and 2. Eng are the hardest. Like someone already said, "Need to use the mat to make a mat" but then you still need the original mat........blah!
    3. LW thru 300 is annoying, then the mats (on my server get expensive)but the process is easier
    4. tailoring and 5. enchanting (usually go together and they are Gold sinks)
    6. Alchemy and Inscription are almost as easy as gathering professions.
    7. Skinning (what? I have to kill and now with Group Loot...someone might steal my Skin!) <no xp gain= grrrr> where is group skinning?!
    8. Mining and Herbing = xp gain

Archeology is MUCH easier then it used to be, pays pretty well and offer great XP and sometimes cool stuff) but it's also a little time consuming and frustrating when it sends you away from where you want to dig.

Cooking (darn it, I forgot to level it during Thanksgiving week) can be expensive or time sinks..
    First aid = farm the mats or pay the price but right now most of my cloth is going to my Monk's Tailoring

I'm not a "pro" raider so most of my toons have the gathering profession to go with the Crafting. However, when I started alts that were repeats I chose more raid conscious crafts like my second hunter is an eng/lW and I have a second priest that is alc/ins and my monk is tailoring/ech. It's expensive to level and a lot of toon hoping happens but even tho they are not at maxed level , I can see they are More raid "ready".

A tie for me between Engineering, Blacksmithing and Leatherworking.

All are equally horrible from 1-525.

None of the professions seem particularly hard to skill up from 525 to 600, or at least that was the case before they nerfed ore node spawn rates.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Enchanting is pretty horrible still. Having to single click each individual skill up on a vellum or on your own gear is absolute crap. I wish I could do multiple at a time.

That said, removing the need for each rod was a really nice step forward.

Aveline's amazing work!

I've leveled quite a few professions so far this expac and I'd say engineering is quite easily the worst. I haven't tried enchanting in a while though, that used to be a pain aswell. That's talking from 1-525 mostly though. I didn't feel like engineering was too bad from 525-600, mostly because of stupidly low prices on ghost iron

From scratch, LW by 10 billion percent. Next to no one skins and it's not something you can farm as quickly as ore/herbalsim if you want to do the farming yourself, which you don't. It would be very expensive overall. Second worst overall would be enchanting, than probably BS/Eng.

As for 525-600, IMO it's BS, I thought eng wasn't that bad as you can make things that actually sell/are useful unlike BS where you just make green crap no one wants that cost 1,000g per 3 levels pretty much all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by braxx View Post
    Leatherworking easily top them all. Engi BS etc come after.
    Talking from a personal expirience - LW is nowhere as expensive as ore based professions. At least of my real it costed me around 8K to max LW whille for the same price i would only get to woltk lvl in either bs or engi.

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    From scratch, LW by 10 billion percent. Next to no one skins
    The skinning output it awesome on a Fattty Goatsteak day, especially if your skinner is a worgen.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

BS is a pain but I feel Engineering was much worse. Personally I enjoyed leveling my toons profession. I even offered to level my guildies.. 8)

10+ Year Old Account
    From scratch, LW by 10 billion percent. Next to no one skins and it's not something you can farm as quickly as ore/herbalsim if you want to do the farming yourself, which you don't. It would be very expensive overall. Second worst overall would be enchanting, than probably BS/Eng.

As for 525-600, IMO it's BS, I thought eng wasn't that bad as you can make things that actually sell/are useful unlike BS where you just make green crap no one wants that cost 1,000g per 3 levels pretty much all the way through.

re: 525+ engineering leveling, agree, with more items crafted that actually sell on the AH (ghost iron trinket + cogwheels & scopes), but i pretty much just mail all my crafted BS greens (actually all my crafted greens and occasional blues) to my enchanter to disenchant. using that strategy is why i havent had to buy enchanting mats since BC level.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the worst to level up is any two "production" professions without the respective gathering profession.

But if I had to choose I would say engineering since you need a greater variety of components for better rewards versus something like blacksmithing that has very straight forward recipes.

Deleted
    Blacksmithing was a real pain to level but my realm has a pretty bad economy so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    Got to rant but at the same time see your experiences; Power lvling BS is possibly one of the most horrible / expensive things I have ever done like /cries in a corner I've spent about 15k so far and It's 450?

-.-
    Leveling Blacksmith upto WotLK can be painful (Thorium level :shudder: even Adamanite level wasn't that bad, heck even the Titanium steel level). After WotLK it's pretty easy. MoP it took only some stacks of plentiful Ghost Iron.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Blacksmithing before MoP....so much money and/or time wasted to get the 100 ore you need to make like 2 things.....
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    Have to admit skinning was indeed a chore, especially if your realm had NOTHING to sell to level through LW.

Knot leather grinding being the worst upon worst at level.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    leatherworking...it's...evil to say the least...you wil be backrupt if you buy from ah and you will insane if you grind through skinning >.<

they (nerfed or buffed depending on your view) blacksmithing in like cata and amde it so most vanilla bars require like 1 ore so ore rather than up to 5 :P

LW is probably the hardest due to supply requirements. I see and hear far more people with mining / herbalism then with skinning as a secondary money profession. It's understandable though; instead of spending time fighting, killing, looting, then skinning a mob, they can much more easily pop over to a node, pick / mine it, and be on their way to the next one in no time.

Pushing the mats for 0-600 BS wasn't too bad for me (helps having that tauren druid with fast flight form, and having org spitting distance from a good spot to farm all the old world ore: Copper in durotar, Tin in southern barrens, mithril in felwood, thorium in wintergrasp). Leveling a skinner/leatherworker is pretty much the worst thing I have ever experienced. You'll kill like 900 skinnable mobs, and have enough mats for maybe 10 skill points. It's obscene.

Leveling blacksmithing and engineering was pretty easy for me. I just set up my gathering bot to gather fel iron and cobalt, sold that stuff for tons of gold, then bought all the other ores I needed from the AH because they all pretty much cost less than fel iron and cobalt...

LWing by far. Farming nodes is easy...farming skins takes considerably more time.