Help my guildies shammy heals PLEASE

Hello fellow MMO champ lurkers,

Right straight to the point, We had our first guild run in MSV (YES, first run) and through out the run our shammy was dragging there feet through out.

I am no expert on Shammy and Druid healing, only ever played Pally and Priest so i have come to you guys to hopefully shed some light on where she may be lacking, but dont get me wrong the raid as a whole preformed sub par but anyway.

Here is her Armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aides/advanced

And here is the WOL for tonight, it was a bit buggy only showing some fights and including Sha for some reason:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...2/details/147/

Thanks in advance for the help too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotzadotz View Post
    Hello fellow MMO champ lurkers,

Right straight to the point, We had our first guild run in MSV (YES, first run) and through out the run our shammy was dragging there feet through out.

I am no expert on Shammy and Druid healing, only ever played Pally and Priest so i have come to you guys to hopefully shed some light on where she may be lacking, but dont get me wrong the raid as a whole preformed sub par but anyway.

Here is her Armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aides/advanced

And here is the WOL for tonight, it was a bit buggy only showing some fights and including Sha for some reason:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...2/details/147/

Thanks in advance for the help too.
    Define "dragging there [sic] feet"? Assuming you mean under-performing there are some simple things they can do to increase their performance.

- Stone Guard on 10 man should mainly be single target healed. Only drop Healing Rain if it's going to hit 3 or more people for it's entirity (and even then it's likely to be overheal and a mana sink)
    - Focus on using GHW and HS if the person is about to drop
    - Chain heal is not particularly effective here (even glyphed)
    - Earth Shield uptime is only 50.4%, anything below 90% is unacceptable, the goal should be 100%
    - HST should be dropped on CD (and if you want to be fancy Totemic Recall(ed) before the final tick)
    - Riptide uptime should be a lot higher also, no reason to not having it rolling on both tanks 100% of the time to keep AV up
    - As for gear: Missing belt buckle, should be using Jade Spirit on weapon if they can afford it, Int on bracers, 200 Spirit on chest
    - For a 10 man environment I suggest the reforge all that Mastery into as much Crit as possible. If they are likely to be rotating between heavy single target heals and raid healing, I have found it more effective than straight Mastery.

That should be a start.
    Last edited by mmoc03cd81e90d; 2012-11-29 at 01:35 PM.

She's trying to heal 10 man raids like it's a 25man.

Tell her to ditch the HR & CH spam. Swap the Riptide glyph for water shield and use RT+GHW/HW combos. She also didn't use Healing Stream totem at all. It's an amazing tool, use it. Riptide and Earth Shield uptimes are horrible.

You also only had 5 pulls on the first boss. The problem is most of your raid taking huge amounts of amethyst pool / chain damage which diverts your healer's attention away from the tanks who subsequently died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Cheers for the info guys, yes dragging there feet is my way of saying under-performing, but she wasn't the only one.

raid awareness and derp dps that like standing in pools (it's hot I guess :-p) didn't help, even I screwed up (Hpally)

I will inform her of her reforging options enchants etc in the morning, thanks again
    Last edited by Lotzadotz; 2012-11-29 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yalingo View Post
    She's trying to heal 10 man raids like it's a 25man.

Tell her to ditch the HR & CH spam. Swap the Riptide glyph for water shield and use RT+GHW/HW combos. She also didn't use Healing Stream totem at all. It's an amazing tool, use it. Riptide and Earth Shield uptimes are horrible.

You also only had 5 pulls on the first boss. The problem is most of your raid taking huge amounts of amethyst pool / chain damage which diverts your healer's attention away from the tanks who subsequently died.
    Outside of Stone Guards (and on some comps you can still do this on normal) and Will you pretty much ch and HR spam in MSV on 10 man. I would say that the most important thing for getting Stone Guards down is raid awareness, not more healing. If your tanks and DPS are paying attention, the fight is a cakewalk.

Also, I would like to nitpick that its not always best to use HST on cd, specifically if there is going to be a higher damage phase coming up in <5 seconds that HST will last for the full duration of HST. RT and ES should be up 95-100% of the time on the tanks, no excuse for either to be down with the cooldown on riptide and the stacks on ES. (with ES on a tank of choice)

Tons of overheals with Healing Tide - Healers need to communicate their CD's. She should have these glyphs...(Heaing Wave, Chaining, Water Shield). Tell her to use this rotation...yes rotation. Riptide Tank...HW, HW, CH riptide target, HW, HW, Riptide other tank...HW, HW..chain heal riptided target that needs healed...HW, HW..riptide first tank again...rinse and repeat...This is super mana efficient and will always make sure she has her tidal waves buff and also there is no downtime to this method. Riptide will always be running on tanks as well. Trust me this is the way to go...when you need a big heal..substitue GHW for HW and keep ES up on tank. Also, I bet she went OOM...seemed like she was spam healing a lot (lots of overheals) she doesn't have to have everyone 100% topped off all the time...she will just run out of mana.

Just practice more. She was probably chained to a melee all night and struggled to find her footing. If you are the odd ranged out chained to a melee as a resto shaman, and have the other 2 puddle dropping guys this fight is really annoying. The best thing we bring is sweet cooldowns that can save the raid when the wrong guy blows up numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazashaman View Post
    Tons of overheals with Healing Tide - Healers need to communicate their CD's. She should have these glyphs...(Heaing Wave, Chaining, Water Shield). Tell her to use this rotation...yes rotation. Riptide Tank...HW, HW, CH riptide target, HW, HW, Riptide other tank...HW, HW..chain heal riptided target that needs healed...HW, HW..riptide first tank again...rinse and repeat...This is super mana efficient and will always make sure she has her tidal waves buff and also there is no downtime to this method. Riptide will always be running on tanks as well. Trust me this is the way to go...when you need a big heal..substitue GHW for HW and keep ES up on tank. Also, I bet she went OOM...seemed like she was spam healing a lot (lots of overheals) she doesn't have to have everyone 100% topped off all the time...she will just run out of mana.
    Healing Surge is more efficient unless you have 2 set. Also, you never have a rotation when healing, and even if you did, thats the wrong opener. The main problem I see here is that people are standing in shit and causing way more damage to go out than is needed. I would point the fingers at the rest of your raid before saying your healers need to improve, as that fight isn't a healing check.

I will say that healers need to practice actually coordinating their cds rather than hitting them out of panic or without thought. Reducing the overhealing on raid cds and having raid cds planned makes everything go smoother.

Deleted
    On the longest attempt, 4mins 55s, I can only see 7 unleash elements cast. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. But if that's right then that needs to come up, it's a 15 second cooldown and buffs a heal or the much-loved healing rain by 30%.

Seems unfair to blame the shammy though. The Death Knight tank seems to be really bad. Only used bone shield (1min cooldown) twice it looks like, unless the logs are bugged. 0 Icebound Fortitude (3min cd), 0 Vampiric Blood (1min cd) and 0 anti-magic shell (45s cooldown). 2 DEATH STRIKES WTF. Using runes to reapply frost and plague strike is a waste when outbreak, pestilence and blood boil can keep them up

Tidal Waves has 13% uptime, riptide needs to be rolling on the tanks all the time. That's all I can find now, will update post when I get back

Deleted
    Its all about trying and trying again

Other then that yeah riptide when can, a few chainheals if needed, els hw or ghw, a few times doing the fight a rain might come in handy, and if needed use your 30 sec cd healing totem.

Other then that happy hunting

As long as you have 5+ people standing in HR, a UE HR is well worth the mana cost. Its easily possible to get that on that fight on normal. With that comp, it also works out better to kite the bosses clockwise or counterclockwise through the room and stay stacked (obviously not including the offtank).

Quote Originally Posted by stephenc87 View Post
    On the longest attempt, 4mins 55s, I can only see 7 unleash elements cast. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. But if that's right then that needs to come up, it's a 15 second cooldown and buffs a heal or the much-loved healing rain by 30%.

Seems unfair to blame the shammy though. The Death Knight tank seems to be really bad. Only used bone shield (1min cooldown) twice it looks like, unless the logs are bugged. 0 Icebound Fortitude (3min cd), 0 Vampiric Blood (1min cd) and 0 anti-magic shell (45s cooldown). 2 DEATH STRIKES WTF. Using runes to reapply frost and plague strike is a waste when outbreak, pestilence and blood boil can keep them up
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the shammy at all.

As stated earlier we where all to blame with standing bad stuff etc, DK was first time raid tanking some dps LOVED the purple pools so much they didn't move....and a few other RNG problems.

All I am looking at is boosting her heals a bit more because I believe at there ilvl they could off preformed a lot better.

Yes, the WOL log is a bit buggy as well seen as we never went near Sha but it collected the info so it could of affected the whole run.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my experience, Healing Rain is rarely worth using in this encounter. It IS worth using occasionally, but not to an extent that would produce 65% overhealing. After all, you have a druid on top of it all.

Use Riptide amply. There's always someone who isn't quite topped off when Jade is active. Make use of Ascendance when necessary. It's a really convenient CD when AoE raid damage is incoming (Jade Guardian not petrifying). Use Healing Tide when things get really bad. Use Healing Stream Totem as much as possible. If you have concerns about the mana cost, glyph for Totemic Recall, and just recall your totems at 1s duration left to refund you all your mana. You'll be producing high hps for free! And the heals will go exactly where they're needed!

I like speccing into Unleashed Fury for this encounter, as I support our paladin with tank-healing a lot, and UE is cheap as it is - only one more reason to use it on CD - and produces huge heals. She needs to use this functionality to her advantage.

Glyph of Chaining isn't worth using, seriously. Not even on 10-man. We might not be awesome at healing at spread raid, but it's not as dramatic as it's made out to be (I used to be extremely worried about that too ever since the Ragnaros Benching Shamans Left Right And Centre Incident). We can handle things just fine with RT, HS/GHW/HW, a few well-placed chainheals and HST.

And good god, throw away that Riptide glyph. It's horrid. I can't tell you any encounter where that thing would actually be beneficial. If anything, it isn't much of a problem in some encounters, but beneficial... Nope. I'm not even using it for Blade-Lord heroic progress anymore when I thought it was good to use for the normal mode (it isn't, it was just that we were being baddies and not doing it all right). If anything, that thing is acceptable sometimes. But in the majority of cases, you don't want to gimp one of your strongest, most mobile, instant-cast heals into a weak version of a druid HoT.

Moreover, you HAVE a druid. In that case, Riptide glyph is even more horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriss View Post
    In my experience, Healing Rain is rarely worth using in this encounter. It IS worth using occasionally, but not to an extent that would produce 65% overhealing. After all, you have a druid on top of it all.

I like speccing into Unleashed Fury for this encounter, as I support our paladin with tank-healing a lot, and UE is cheap as it is - only one more reason to use it on CD - and produces huge heals. She needs to use this functionality to her advantage.

Glyph of Chaining isn't worth using, seriously. Not even on 10-man. We might not be awesome at healing at spread raid, but it's not as dramatic as it's made out to be (I used to be extremely worried about that too ever since the Ragnaros Benching Shamans Left Right And Centre Incident). We can handle things just fine with RT, HS/GHW/HW, a few well-placed chainheals and HST.
    i personally prefer primal elementalist for the on hand long term healing cooldown and damage reduction.

Glyph of chaining is actually a very good glyph for both 10 man AND 25 man. Anytime you have your raid spread out for extended periods of time this should be a glyph you are using. Its godly for healing those ranged fellows who are never that close to each other. In fact i suggest focusing ranged people simply because they get neglected a bunch and healing rain is usually more than enough for the melee. This all depends on how many melee you are using of course as it really isn't worth it for 3 people. Useless on fights like feng but very good on fights like windlord.

Totemic Recall is a must on any fight where you don't have some mechanic gimping your mana regen (heroic stone guard for instance).

Water shield is situational as well as Fire Elemental totem glyph depending on your frequency of raid damage and intensity.

As above your shaman is not utilizing ascendance and healing stream totem which are very huge in our healing. Its like asking a resto druid not to tranq throughout the fight.

Furthermore with Call of Elements talent you don't need to worry about holding off on hst totem because u can redrop it in high dmg phases (or use HTT in its place).