Emulator question

Hey, ive been playing video games since I was a kid. I love old games, and so does my girl. But my systems keep dying. My games stop working. My memory cards fail. Plus its hard trying to find some of the older titles. Ive been wanting to try emulators for a long time, but im not too good with computers.

Are emulators hard to set up and run?
    Do you have to watch out for a lot of viruses/bad stuff?
    Do they take up a bunch of space on the computer?

I really want to try em out, lemme know!

I haven't used em since NES/SNES days of emulators, but back then the answers to your questions were no/no/no, but if you google it you'll probably find a site with everything you need to do/know.

All you'll ever need.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-11-29 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks so much for the quick replys and links! Off to the 90's I go =P

Emulators are very small and probably use only a fraction of a whole MB. The games themselves get really big because downloading can get out of control.

I'll tell you this. My Snes folder is 100MB with over 50 games and Nes is 50MB with 25 games.

When you download them it's a drag and drop to start them up. Then you have to configure the controls. The later emulators take a bit to setup, like the playstation. Just google it and download at your own risk.

Deleted
    i know of my experience with emulators u can get up to n64 emulators that is easy to setup but after that it start to get harder to setup xbox and so on, but under n64 emulators and below on nes and so on it is just setup the config for keyboard or a joystick/controller to play with. at home i got a usb converter box that i can put in my playstation controller into computer to use on emulators or other stuff. even playstation emulator is a bit tricky to setup tho because u must have right stuff for your computer like sound, videocard and regions like europe, japan or usa file depending on playstation region games. But like Zanarkend say the games take huge amount of storage on each game in mb.
    Last edited by mmoce254e35cb0; 2012-11-29 at 02:05 PM.

Cool cool, thanks for more info. After browsing a bunch of games, im wondering about controllers now. The emulators im gonna run are nes, snes, N64, and PS1. Will any generic USB plug and play controller (playstation looking ones) work for these? Im really only worried about the N64 games with that controller...because of the odd original N64 controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Above 32 bits, I find hard to emulate. N64, Dreamcast, PS2... most emulators are bugged, and a lot of games requires extra plugins, for me (I'm a noob, I know) it is really complicated.

Snes, Sega Genesis and PS1 are very easy, there's no room for mistakes.

Will any generic USB plug and play controller (playstation looking ones) work for these?
    Yes, any controller works, including with N64.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Above 32 bits, I find hard to emulate. N64, Dreamcast, PS2... most emulators are bugged, and a lot of games requires extra plugins, for me (I'm a noob, I know) it is really complicated.
    Yeah, I've heard that there are even xbox and playstation emulators, but indeed they are probably hard to setup. Haven't really bothered to try though.

N64 is easy though, it's just as easy as NES, SNES or any gameboy. I've played lots of Ocarina of Time on an emulator. Only problem I had was the water temple, I couldn't target a hookshot target because my controls weren't as accurate as a controller. Could probably be fixed with a controller connected though.

Anyway, yeah.. most emulators are really easy to install and use.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 08:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post

All you'll ever need.
    Wow, that's pretty cool. So they've altered 'ancient' games to incorporate online play? Really amazing.

Deleted
    XBOX360 Controller + -snip- = ...well, legendary gaming is an understatement...

Not bugged, not hard to set up. Just need a decent computer.

Deleted
    Yea emulators are great. I got every nes, Snes and most master system and mega drive games all on 1 mem card for psp.

Also good for PS1 games emulation on psp as i think ps1 probs has best classic titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but Emulator threads are not allowed as the majority it is illegal.