Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I can't decide which profession

I've tried quite a few & I just can't decide. I haven't even gotten very far but I've leveled every weapon skill for the ones I've played & the playstyles are just so hard to decide on. I get to a certain point & just get dissatisfied with the way it plays.

Elementalist - This was my favorite playstyle & furthest I got, but I love the dual dagger playstyle, but I die so fast in storylines, events & even filling out hearts, its so discouraging. I dash in do as much damage as possible & get out, as my friend tries to recommened. But I dont think he's played an elementalist before. For dual daggers from my knowledge your cd's are always up if you attunement dancing. Which I love to do. I don't like the ranged aspect from the staves & scepter. Just dual daggers =(

Warrior - This one was fun until about 10 or so, it just felt like a bland playstyle. Charge in, use your cd's build up adrenaline, press f1, rinse & repeat. Theres always rinse & repeat for any class but this one felt like it had the shortest from point a to b in a rotation. Not fun after that

Mesmer - When I'm not playing this profession it looks great, when I am, its just boring. My favorite style was the greatsword but even then, it felt closer to the warrior, the difference is keeping distance rather than charging in.

Engineer - I got my f2 and that was it. I just didn't dig it, I could just see it pan out to 80 & just see what it was going to be like. A plain support with mechanical tools. Felt like playing a medic in bf3, which, I played enough of.

Ranger - This one wasn't terrible, but I played hunter in WoW for over a year, wasn't digging it. I actually didn't use a pet in gw1, refused to. I always liked the marksman type class but not the pet integration most mmo's put in it. I heard there was melee ranger, but still pets afaik.

Thief - The stealth & light armor melee mechanics just isn't my style. Its what dissatisfied me from the elementalist. I loved the dual daggers but not dying instantaneously.

What I do like to play - Someone who gets close in, has alot of versatility, can dash out for a couple ranged harassments or kiting mechanics for just a few seconds, and then back in the face for more action.

I try to do this & have the most fun with it in almost any game I've played since I was a child. Its an odd example but in halo 2, I'd harass them for a bit, drown their shields, then come in and smack them in the face a couple times. I'm ruining my kda ratio in planetside 2 with this, I shoot them for a bit, unload my clip, and try to knife them but the knife range is terrible so I lose =(

I played an enhancement shaman on WoW, Mostly melee but can get out of it and still do some damage.

Can someone lend a hand here & help me find out what profession I may enjoy the most?

What I do like to play - Someone who gets close in, has alot of versatility, can dash out for a couple ranged harassments or kiting mechanics for just a few seconds, and then back in the face for more action.
    Sword/Dagger + SB Thief.

I guess I should've mentioned someone who doesn't die easily as well. I get the feeling thiefs are very squishy. I've always played a "tougher" class in mmos

my highest level characters are warrior (fun enough, but repetitive) and mesmer (more interactive and varied for me, probably what I enjoy the most), I also have a ranger, which is nice enough but sort of boring.

I've made a couple elementalists, but keep deleting them. Last time I just deleted it and made another mesmer, so I'll keep the new one sword/sword & greatsword and the first one is staff & scepter/ torch or pistol. Not that anything I do is optimal of course. The elementalist is just so squishy it was irritating. I got a friend to join and he made an elementalist after I told him not to, and almost quit the game for dying too much. Switched to a warrior and having a great time.

Engineer I have in mid 20's, and guardian in late teens. Guardian seems like a decent mix of caster and melee, depending on how you kit them out, so that might be a good try.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 12:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    I guess I should've mentioned someone who doesn't die easily as well. I get the feeling thiefs are very squishy. I've always played a "tougher" class in mmos
    Out of all the classes I played, some might require paying more attention to details, but none died anywhere near as much as my elementalist.

I'll give the engineer & thief a shot again.

Guardian caster kinda sounds awkward. My friends main at 80 is a guardian so I'll ask him about that before I try it to make sure I don't waste my time.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 12:25 PM ----------

This game might be worse than borderlands. I cannot even beat a simple storyline quest and I'm 1 level ahead of it. I haven't had any trouble with a story quest until now.

Elementalist is broken squishy to.

Bah frustration to no end. I kite for days but that doesn't work against ranged. I have little cc if they aren't moving.

Is there any positives to playing an elementalist besides the obvious argument of 4 attunements or is it just that terrible? I can't imagine pvp...

Things like this shouldn't be happening at level 14

I know you've already mentioned that you didn't like how the warrior played, but it could have just been a weapon combination that didn't cater to your playstyle.

Check this out; it might have something you like in it: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ion-Playstyles

The thing about the warrior is that I feel it can be kited very easily, otherwise known as troll/antagonation. I hate that in any other MMO (besides the social aspect).

The ele d/d in this game is fairly mobile just really squishy. Thats the main reason I'm making this thread is to find something that can take a hit & still be fairly mobile while having ranged aspects. Its disappointing really that I haven't been able to find this

If you do not like being kited as a Warrior, swap over to a rifle/longbow and kite them back.

Ele can be quite squishy, but I agree that it is a ton of fun with a dash of frustrating (I think they could have balanced weapons/traits a bit better). I would suggest putting some points into Earth and Water, or getting some Toughness/Healing gear to balance out some of the glass canon.

Theres healing gear? I thought the 3 main stats were power/vit/toughness?

I'm pretty sure I've crafted gear with +Healing on it. Maybe it was +Vit and I am misremembering.

Deleted
    Theres healing gear? I thought the 3 main stats were power/vit/toughness?
    Power/Vitality/Toughness/Precision/Crit damage increase %/Condition damage/Condition duration/Healing, though healing as a stat is a bit subpar and people usually ignore it. You can craft healing gear with the Cleric insignias. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attribute .

If you like a melee character that has solid defenses then Guardian is good. Mind you they can still die in 1 hit and don't have the highest health pool (thats warriors and necros), however they have a lot of tools at their disposal to prevent/mininize damage. Then again warrior/thief have as well - all classes have ways to deal with incoming damage. Have only played necro and mesmer at 80 in dungeons so cant comment on the specifics, only what I see my guild mates do - guardian with a Lyssa build seems very sturdy. Ranged they are a little awkward but not bad.
    Last edited by mmoced25ca264a; 2012-11-29 at 09:43 PM.

The thing about the warrior is that I feel it can be kited very easily, otherwise known as troll/antagonation. I hate that in any other MMO (besides the social aspect).
    Much as Cyclone Jack said, you can just as easily range someone with a rifle or longbow with a warrior if you don't like being kited. If you were to run around with, say, a sword and an axe as one weapon set and a rifle as the other, you could very easily play to the "run in, deal damage, jump out, kite, then run back in" playstyle you had mentioned in your original post. The main-hand sword's second ability, Savage Leap, is a fantastic mobility tool, both for closing gaps and getting out of messy situations (it's saved my hide countless times). Additionally, the rifle has both a cripple and a knockback, so even if they manage to catch up to you or clear the cripple, you can just send their ass back to square one with the knockback skill.

I won't say that I can pinpoint exactly what you want from your character, but I can at least give you what I know as a long-time warrior player.

The ele d/d in this game is fairly mobile just really squishy. Thats the main reason I'm making this thread is to find something that can take a hit & still be fairly mobile while having ranged aspects. Its disappointing really that I haven't been able to find this
    As said, Warriors can get a longbow or rifle also, so no worries about being ranged too much. I usually go Greatsword, which can be a bit boring, but it still has a cripple, a charge, and that spinny charge through thingee. I don't pvp though, if that's your worry.

For the elementalist, I think they'd be fine in a group, where you can use heals and stuff without having to worry about constantly being on the edge of death.

For kiting, the mesmer is just sort of funny, running along making illusions to do your damage and not even facing the enemy.

I first started a Guardian just to mess around until my wife found something she really wanted to play, and they can be quite fun and versatile. Been rolling with a hammer, mostly. fully trained, you have a stun, a knockback, a short leap...And something else - some kind of defensive, I believe - in addition the standard spam button. Trained all his possible weapons, and I think the only one I disliked was the stave - but that's looking at it from a solo/leveling standpoint, since those skills seemed more oriented towards group play and support. Judge's Intervention is awesome for getting up close and personal - teleport to your target (friendly or otherwise) and set nearby enemies on fire.

Now that my wife has (sort of) settled on her character, I've been loving my Warrior. You just gotta find the right weapons loadout and then the most appropriate trait lines for them. DW Axe and Rifle has made for an amazing pair, so far, but I knew I was gonna run with those before I ever even. I've mastered every weapon except spear, and they all have their unique and interesting points - actually found myself very much enjoying the longbow. If you're worried about being kited, rifle is a strong single-target ranged weapon while the longbow leans more towards AoE; both can place DoTs (bleeds from the gun, burns from the bow) and cause cripple.

And, yes, there is a + Healing Power stat; one of my Warrior's axes has it, and I've seen several other items with the stat, including armor and accessories. Mostly affects your self heal, I think, which is still useful enough.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    And, yes, there is a + Healing Power stat; one of my Warrior's axes has it, and I've seen several other items with the stat, including armor and accessories. Mostly affects your self heal, I think, which is still useful enough.
    Although it doesn't show up very often in the game, the actual name of the healing stat is Compassion. In regards to how the stat affects us warriors, not only does it improve our self-healing skills, but if you're traited 30 points into Tactics and have picked up either the Inspiring Battle Standard trait (banners apply Regeneration boon) or the Vigorous Shouts trait (shouts heal), the Compassion stat will boost the output of those spells as well.

Oh, nice; haven't bothered with banners yet. Pity I don't use tactics, though. LOL
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Double dagger elementalist in PvP is annoying.

They never die.

I rage so hard because they escape so easily. Had about 5 of us chasing one for awhile. I was trying to steal his boons and slow him but it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Double dagger elementalist in PvP is annoying.

They never die.

I rage so hard because they escape so easily. Had about 5 of us chasing one for awhile. I was trying to steal his boons and slow him but it doesn't work.
    huehuehuee

huehuehuee
    Hes playing it pretty well. Still a bit of amateur (could of used water attune and fire ring a lot better) but it shows great mobility and CC. Offhand dagger attack 4 is just amazing with a 15 sec cd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anjze_I30Zg

Elementalist has more skills to deal with on the table though and is more fast paced a long with cd counting since you won't be able to see whats on cd if your not in that specific attunement.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-11-30 at 01:40 AM.

axe/mace + longbow warrior.