Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

FPS games - Off Topic

So i know a lot of you guys out there play FPS stuff.

I'm new to the genre, thinking about trying out one of the newer cutting edge games, since i have a really nice rig now.

Which one would you recommend trying out first?

I'm interested in a decent campaign as well as the online multiplayer.

Black Ops 2
    Battlefield 3

Others?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its more of an RPG-FPS, but I still love it: Borderlands 2.

Deleted
    Id go with Black Ops 2 cause you are new to the genre.
    Then again BF3 multiplayer beats Black Ops anyday.
    Buy both?

And yes Borderlands 2 ^^

Planetside 2 is free. So far one of the best multiplayer games I have played in years.
    I'm still thinking about it...

Far Cry 3 just launched, it has an amazing campaign, not sure about the multiplayer, but it looks good.

The game is more of an RPG-FPS though, like Borderlands 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far, it seems its all preference then. Hehe.

I have Battlefield 2142 and the first Borderlands.

Maybe i should check those out again first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    So far, it seems its all preference then. Hehe.

I have Battlefield 2142 and the first Borderlands.

Maybe i should check those out again first.
    To be honest, the first Borderlands is great, but they improved it a crap ton in the sequel (especially if you are interested in the single-player experience).

10+ Year Old Account
    Crysis 1 and 2.
    In February, Crysis 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    So i know a lot of you guys out there play FPS stuff.

I'm new to the genre, thinking about trying out one of the newer cutting edge games, since i have a really nice rig now.

Which one would you recommend trying out first?

I'm interested in a decent campaign as well as the online multiplayer.

Black Ops 2
    Battlefield 3

Others?
    You aren't going to get good multiplayer and good single-player in a single game.

If you want good multiplayer, Quake Live! is still the best in the business that's still active today. Unreal Tournament 2004 is the best, period, but it's pretty much a dead game these days.

If you want a more modern game, Tribes Ascend is a good compromise between old and new, though it's not without its flaws. I've heard good things about Planetside 2, as well.

If you want to be dumb and waste time with terrible console shooter ports, Battlefield 3 is probably the best choice. Call of Duty 4 is actually a pretty great shooter if you play ProMod, though.

If you want a proper, "realistic," modern shooter, Counter-Strike: Source is still the best choice.

If you're after good, compelling single-player... well, Half-Life 2 is still the only real option. Metro 2033's gameplay is pretty fun but the plot and story just plain suck.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are some who make the distinction between modern and old school shooter (FPS that is) on several point. Decide which point would be more to your liking by yourself.

Weapon: The old school FPS (Duke Nukem, Half Life) let you have a complete arsenal (gun, rifle, RPG, sniper, shotgun...), you can litterally carry a dozen or more weapon. Modern FPS make you carry only 2 weapon, if you need a third, you need to discard one.

Health: Old School shooter, you have a health bar or number, typically 100. You get shot, the health bar decreases. To get it back up, you need to find medpack or eat/drink. Modern shooter, you do not have health bar. When you get shot, screen start become red and you are about to die, if you stay long enough without getting shot (a few seconds), everything goes back to normal.

Right mouse button: old school, RMB is for secondary shot, like a grenade launcher attach or a double barrel shotgun at once. Modern shooter, RMB is almost always aim down sight, with a variety different sight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, another one of my favorite FPS's is DOOM 3. It was just rereleased, but I haven't tried it yet to see how well the graphics have progessed. Single player was awesome though.

dust 514 seems good.

Firefall is mind blowing.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Borderlands 1 and 2 (if you have a friend to co-op with)
    Planetside 2
    Firefall

Deleted
    For single player I really enjoyed the stalker games, also far cry 3 looks pretty good. Otherwise, maybe pick up half life 2 episodes they are pretty great, and I also enjoyed E.Y.E and deus x. I didnt enjoy borderlands 2, something just felt off to me, but its not bad by any means.

For MP, I tend to stick to CS:GO and planetside 2 at the moment, also ravaged is pretty good. Natural Selection looks fun also.

As others have mentioned, very few FPS with active multiplayer components also deliver decent singleplayer components. That being said, I'm surprised no one has mentioned TF2 yet. It's not new, but Valve is constantly adding stuff to it and the graphics age very well. Other than that, I usually play BF3.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Oh, yeah.

TF2
    CS:GO

for multiplayer fun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    As others have mentioned, very few FPS with active multiplayer components also deliver decent singleplayer components. That being said, I'm surprised no one has mentioned TF2 yet. It's not new, but Valve is constantly adding stuff to it and the graphics age very well. Other than that, I usually play BF3.

TF2 may be old, but it still has one of the most active gaming communities.

BF3 is very good, but not so good for playing solo. its much more fun if you play BF3 with a friend or 2.

Depends what you are looking for. Pretty much all the 'cutting-edge' new stuff that focus on multiplayer, like BF3 and any CoD game since World at War focus pretty much strictly on multiplayer, you can beat the campaigns for both of those games in a single sitting, pretty much.

I strongly prefer BF3 over any of the CoD games for multiplayer....it's more skill-based, the maps are better, the playstyle and modes are better, etc. I love shooters, and I used to love CoD games for the campaigns and even the multiplayer was a little better in the older games, BF3 was the first of the franchise I played and if you like 'being in the action' then it's the better game, IMHO...though I don't even play it anymore.

I still prefer competitive FPS games myself, and in that regard counter-strike is still the top dog after all these years and still requires more skill and teamwork than any other shooter, period. Maybe not so much the best choice for new comers, as it can be a bit trying for newbies, especially since you will get your ass handed to you by people that have been playing for 12 years as it isn't nearly as newbie friendly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    Depends what you are looking for. Pretty much all the 'cutting-edge' new stuff that focus on multiplayer, like BF3 and any CoD game since World at War focus pretty much strictly on multiplayer, you can beat the campaigns for both of those games in a single sitting, pretty much.

I strongly prefer BF3 over any of the CoD games for multiplayer....it's more skill-based, the maps are better, the playstyle and modes are better, etc. I love shooters, and I used to love CoD games for the campaigns and even the multiplayer was a little better in the older games, BF3 was the first of the franchise I played and if you like 'being in the action' then it's the better game, IMHO...though I don't even play it anymore.

I still prefer competitive FPS games myself, and in that regard counter-strike is still the top dog after all these years and still requires more skill and teamwork than any other shooter, period. Maybe not so much the best choice for new comers, as it can be a bit trying for newbies, especially since you will get your ass handed to you by people that have been playing for 12 years as it isn't nearly as newbie friendly.

i like cod and BF for different things.

CoD is good when you just want to sit down for 15mins and run and gun things down without caring about your team or tactics. BF3 is much better when you want to play with a friend(s), much more action packed at times, with helicopters and tanks, but the maps are bigger so sometimes the play can be a bit slower than CoD.

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 12:14 AM ----------

and to the op, most FPS games do not focus on the campaign as that has limited re-playability. how ever i quite enjoyed the campaign on both BF3 and BO2 (and the previous Cods), but they are very short campaigns and can be completed in a few hours, the campaign will not keep you interested for long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the replies.

Do you guys enjoy these types of games better on console or on PC?