Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Neither were Nazi's, go back in time and ask a German.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 01:30 PM ----------

Uhhh, I think this is a trick. I'll tell you the truth, they did you 3 favors in that story and not just 1.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 01:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Yeah not all cops are bad...but let me tell you my experiences with them so far.

First time I got ticket for drinking in a car. Next time was for supposedly supplying alcohol to minors..next time getting harassed while minding my own business in a crack project. The only good thing they ever did for me was taking me to the hospital while I was passed out with alcholol poisoning where I woke up with intravenous in both arms and diapers on and the nurse telling me I peed the bed twice during the night.

Yeah not a huge fan. But that cop in the story is cool.

This was hard for me to type.
    They did you 3 favors

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 01:45 PM ----------

My experience with cops:

A former black roomate of one of my friends broke into his own apt cuz his whitegirlfriend locked him out and when my friend was pulled over with me in the car at the apt. 9 cop cars were there and they held me at gunpoint with police dogs and shotguns. Next I was pulled over downtown right next to a nightclub and they towed my car claiming I had an old insurance and they searched it and left me stranded downtown. While this is Portland Oregon, I know that police essentially says fuck the rules when it comes to brothers so I've been pulled over 3 more times despite being a law abiding citizen on each and every occasion with a perfect driving record. The reports I hear from other brothers aren't dissimilar. When we hear about unjust shootings of non-black citizens on the news, we always hear the caveat that they had a knife or gun. When we hear about shootings of black citizens, all of them are totally unarmed and even trying to cooperate.

Deleted
    Of course not all cops are bad, and congratulations to that cop for what he did.

There's very few people these days, not only cops, who would have done anything similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imuhdude View Post
    Neither were Nazi's, go back in time and ask a German.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 01:30 PM ----------

Uhhh, I think this is a trick. I'll tell you the truth, they did you 3 favors in that story and not just 1.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 01:32 PM ----------

They did you 3 favors

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 01:45 PM ----------

My experience with cops:

A former black roomate of one of my friends broke into his own apt cuz his whitegirlfriend locked him out and when my friend was pulled over with me in the car at the apt. 9 cop cars were there and they held me at gunpoint with police dogs and shotguns. Next I was pulled over downtown right next to a nightclub and they towed my car claiming I had an old insurance and they searched it and left me stranded downtown. While this is Portland Oregon, I know that police essentially says fuck the rules when it comes to brothers so I've been pulled over 3 more times despite being a law abiding citizen on each and every occasion with a perfect driving record. The reports I hear from other brothers aren't dissimilar. When we hear about unjust shootings of non-black citizens on the news, we always hear the caveat that they had a knife or gun. When we hear about shootings of black citizens, all of them are totally unarmed and even trying to cooperate.
    Young black males are still harassed and profiled by the police, as a black male with a nice car I can't tell you how many times I've been followed and had my plates ran. But most of interactions with the police have been positive even when I was in the wrong.

I was allowed to walk away twice while driving without a license (only had a permit therefore not allowed to drive alone). I was handed over to the police by an establishment for underage drinking, the police wrote me a trespassing warning because the place request it but they rolled their eyes at the situation (2 months from my 21st birthday). First time being pulled over speeding I was doing 20 over the limit, had a car fool a things that would come off as suspicious and my insurance card had expired, I got a warning.

Knowing how to deal with the cops will allow you to even weather the dick headed ones.

Deleted
    I am actually shocked about how many people it is that hates cops. I thought that was something you did when you were 15 years old and got caught drinking or something like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    I am actually shocked about how many people it is that hates cops. I thought that was something you did when you were 15 years old and got caught drinking or something like that.
    I'm a cop and i can understand why people hate them, at least the Dutch citizens. The whole traffic ticket thing has a quota and the prices are rediculously high. It's not a warning system, it's a system that's there to make more money off citizens.

Examples:
    1 breaklight doesn't work or any other light: 120 euro's
    1 tire low profile: 120 euro's
    accidently slipping with tires or using horn when not necessary (police officer decides when it is or is not necessary): 340 euro's
    holding a phone regardless if calling or texting with it: 220 euro's
    running a red light: 220 euro's
    Passing another car where not allowed: 220 euro's
    Car brake profile too low: ~490 euro's
    Too much rust on car (police officer decides if there's too much rust): 220 euro's
    Too much weight on or in the car: up to 900 euro's, anything above a certain weight goes higher but an officer (rank) decides how high
    Forgetting to lock your bicycle: 25 euro's

Highway:
    4 km too fast: 19 euro's
    20 km too fast: 117 euro's
    40 km too fast: 332 euro's
    Anything above 40: an officer decides how high it will be.
    Fun, right ?
    Last edited by mmocf470da16f3; 2012-11-30 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    The more in debt cities get the unfriendlier cops get. It's not to serve and protect anymore, it's to bring in your ticket quota for the city. Why do you think police forces have a 20 detectives investigating murders and robberies and 2500 traffic cops?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumocolor View Post
    The more in debt cities get the unfriendlier cops get. It's not to serve and protect anymore, it's to bring in your ticket quota for the city. Why do you think police forces have a 20 detectives investigating murders and robberies and 2500 traffic cops?
    Because there are more traffic violations than there are murders.
    Putin khuliyo

I was a freshman in college. My girlfriend had been raped by 5 guys the week before and she wasn't... doing well. She started spending the nights at my place. One night she started having seizures, she would spaz out, stop breathing for a bit, wake up, not remember who i was, so i'd have to walk her through... everything... because she was in a panic... it helped that even in this state she trusted me, not knowing why. After a time she would pass out again from another seizure, wake up and remember me. Repeat this another 2 times and I called the cops.
    They took me into a separate room, drug tested both of us, grilled us with questions, treated us like criminals. When we came out clean.... they left, that was all.
    It's been a few years since then, I'm a white dude, no record, in college. I'll never respect cops.

Deleted
    How would a city look without cops? Anarcy is not a sweet situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    I'm a cop and i can understand why people hate them, at least the Dutch citizens. The whole traffic ticket thing has a quota and the prices are rediculously high. It's not a warning system, it's a system that's there to make more money off citizens.

Examples:
    1 breaklight doesn't work or any other light: 120 euro's
    1 tire low profile: 120 euro's
    accidently slipping with tires or using horn when not necessary (police officer decides when it is or is not necessary): 340 euro's
    holding a phone regardless if calling or texting with it: 220 euro's
    running a red light: 220 euro's
    Passing another car where not allowed: 220 euro's
    Car brake profile too low: ~490 euro's
    Too much rust on car (police officer decides if there's too much rust): 220 euro's
    Too much weight on or in the car: up to 900 euro's, anything above a certain weight goes higher but an officer (rank) decides how high
    Forgetting to lock your bicycle: 25 euro's

Highway:
    Fun, right ?
    Emphasis on the quota. They need to give X amount of tickets so at the end of the year or month they are out to get you, no matter what.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a cop and I gave a homeless lady a cup of Coffee and a blanket (I think about a year ago?) .....They didn't write a story about me though :/
    Last edited by Puck; 2012-11-30 at 11:05 AM.

There are good cops, but it's a profession that allows a lot of abuse of power. And they do abuse that power.

The kid working at the fast food joint might spit in my food if I give him a reason to, but I'm not too worried about him gunning me down and then getting away with it, or sending me away to a cage for however long without a crime or evidence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I'm a cop and I gave a homeless lady a cup of Coffee and a blanket (I think about a year ago?) .....They didn't write a story about me though :/
    because nobody took a photo of you. as it even says in the article, if someone hadn't taken a picture of that cop, nobody (except the homeless man) would have even cared. because unfortunately that's how our world works.

That said, well done That's really nice of you too!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    There are good cops, but it's a profession that allows a lot of abuse of power. And they do abuse that power.

The kid working at the fast food joint might spit in my food if I give him a reason to, but I'm not too worried about him gunning me down and then getting away with it, or sending me away to a cage for however long without a crime or evidence.
    This doesn't happen nearly as often as you think it does. You will not be sentenced to lengthy prison terms without evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    This doesn't happen nearly as often as you think it does. You will not be sentenced to lengthy prison terms without evidence.
    Cops protect their own. That's a fact. They don't usually deal with the same system of 'justice' that everybody else does - and by 'everybody', I don't mean politicians, lawyers or rich/famous people, either.

I didn't express how often I think it happens, but I don't think anybody can deny that it does happen. I can only go with anecdotal evidence, and my personal experience is that I've never had a cop help me with anything, ever, and nobody I've known has ever been helped by one either. We have been hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    because nobody took a photo of you. as it even says in the article, if someone hadn't taken a picture of that cop, nobody (except the homeless man) would have even cared. because unfortunately that's how our world works.

That said, well done That's really nice of you too!
    I think the story should be less about the cop and more about the fact that it is freezing out and we have people sitting outside with no shoes. I am tasked with patrolling the poor places of my city, I've seen some very horrible things. So many people are suffering and poor and the worst part is that it seems to go ignored.

Months ago, me and a fellow officer were on patrol and it was pretty late, about 3ish AM if I remember correctly, we were driving by an alley way and my partner saw woman huddled by some trash cans. Something didn't look right so we decided to stop and see if she was okay. Turned out she was dead, just laying there for who knows how bloody long. Long enough to be stiff as a board and cold as ice. We had the body removed, did the background check to see if she had any family, discovered she didn't and so she was disposed of. I hated it so much, a person died and nobody cared, she wasn't in the news or even the paper.

Bleh now I'm getting all sad.

Deleted
    that is the sad truth of the human condition. No news is good news works both ways. Youll rarely hear of someone doing an exceptional job but you will hear about the screwups.

Good on that man for a selfless act. He wasnt being a cop when he bought that guy foot protection he was being a decent human being

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post

Highway:
    Fun, right ?
    Although these are simple laws made by the government, people hating cops for those laws are just ignorant and stupid, they should hate the government for it.

You may hate a cop for unnecessary use of violence, abuse of power and the inability to judge a situation in a correct way... and personally I think this is where the most hate comes from as this becomes more and more a trend, incompetence is something that seems to rule in the land of the bluejackets nowadays.

Then again as with advertisement in any way or field of work, negatives have the habit to spread 10 times faster then positives.
    It all has to do with general expectations that comes with the role you're playing in life, if you can't live up to it you may be judged upon.

p.s clarification :
    Officer the quoted part of Wookeh is more or less the same as a District attorney, but not Officer as in police-officer as they are not allowed to choose the height of a fee in NL, those are all given numbers.

Like or hate the person not the system. A cops job of doing something good will not get him recognition because its his job. This is more of a human helping another and has nothing to do with his uniform. Ive had my run ins with the law. I fought a ticket and won and the judge yelled at the cop. He pulled me over 2 more times for minimal stuff never got a ticket so it was never reported he even pulled me over bht it was him not the police that harassed me. And come on enough with the racial profiling crap. Yes it happens but for good reason. We had a rash of break ins around me by a white male with a beard. I got pulled over for it while they loomed for the guy. Not my fault but if its moe common for a particular type of people to be doing something in an area id expect to be pulled over if i fit that description.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    With all the cop hate lately I wanted to post this to show. Not all cops are bad. Just like everything else there are a few bad apples that can tarnish everyone's name.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...145219581.html
    undercover cops or "DT's" are the scumbags most of the time. I still respect the boys in blue, unless they give me a reason to judge them otherwise.
    'murica