10+ Year Old Account

Need help picking a new laptop

As the title says. Im looking to buy a new laptop and looking to spend around 900-1200$. Ive narrowed it down to three, Lenovo Y50, Asus ROG 750 series and MSI GE60. Ill post links with specs at the bottom. Im going to be doing alot of programming, coding and what not since ill be mainly using it for school as i am a computer science major. Im also going to be doing some gaming on it, mostly wow, diablo, league, smite, some skyrim and maybe some eso or wildstar or other mmos that come out later. Nothing too graphics intensive like bf4 or tomb raider i dont think. Ive read that the Nvidia GTX860M does a pretty good job with graphics, which is in the laptops that im linking. the cpu is an i7 so im not really concerned about that but my biggest issue is quality and cooling. My laptop now over heats to the point where i cant play wow for very long, i actually use a desk fan to help keep my laptop cool, probably not the best idea but it works lol. But I just want some more opinions, ive been trying to do as much research as i can. Cooling is probably one of the bigger issues for me. The lenovo has two fans, one for gpu and cpu, but doesnt have copper heatsinks. The msi has only one fan but has copper heatsinks from what ive seen. And the asus i just came across so i havnt spent too much time looking at it, ive read its pretty good. Ive never dealt with any of these brands before and just need some help. im also up for any other suggestions that anyone has to offer.
    Thanks!

ok so i cant post any links yet since this is my first post so sorry about that

edit: Also considering the ASUS ROG GL551 since its a bit cheaper than the 750 g series
    Last edited by Arcenio; 2014-10-31 at 06:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Any preference on size?

2. I'd personally recommend looking at a Sager also. Either the NP7378 (17") or the NP7358-S (15") would fit nicely under your budget (assuming that's US dollars) and would offer a i7-4710 processor, 860m, 8GB RAM, a 120GB SSD, 1TB hard drive, and room for a second hard drive.

The cooling on Sagers is also very solid. I own an NP8278-S myself.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Size really doesn't matter, preferably 15+ but 17s tend to be a bit more expense than the 15s

I havnt really looked at the sagers, never heard of them until I started research on the others lol but I'll check them out
    How do they run wow? Other games as well? Are there heating issues while playing? I'm not sure if 2 fans are always better than one, does it have one or two?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcenio View Post
    I havnt really looked at the sagers, never heard of them until I started research on the others lol but I'll check them out
    How do they run wow? Other games as well? Are there heating issues while playing? I'm not sure if 2 fans are always better than one, does it have one or two?
    1. Excellently.

2. Runs everything I've thrown at it well. Recently, that includes Payday 2, CS:GO, Call of Duty MW3, Black ops 2, Test Drive Unlimited 2, and Burnout Paradise. It's slightly higher spec than yours, as mine has 870m graphics rather than 860m.

3. No heat issues at all.

4. Both of the Sagers I suggested to you have a single 40mm intake fan on the bottom, which vents out over the main heatsink at the back. The model I have has dual fans and dual heatsinks, dedicated for the GPU and CPU, due to how the graphics are implemented on mine (as an MXM, rather than soldered to the motherboard).

5. Something I just noticed. A basic version of my model is close to your budget. If you skip the SSD (which can always be added later), it would cost $1299, or the 8268 (a 15" version) would be $1279.

6. Another thing I just noticed is Sager just released a new laptop, the NP8651. 15" 4k screen, GTX970 graphics, i7-4710, uses the new M.2 SSDs rather than mSATA (M.2 is a faster connection. SATA has been limiting SSD performance for awhile.) and accepts two of them, dual hard drive bays. It comes in at $1350 in basic trim with windows 8, but this is the latest tech available and the 970 blows away the 860.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-11-02 at 03:20 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters