Deleted

[Movies] Mass Effect

At the beggining, Mark Protosevich was the person responsible to write the Mass Effect movie script. He contributed the screenplay for I Am Legend and Thor. However, a new report seems to suggest Legendary is starting from scratch once more. Variety reports assistant editor turned screenwriter Morgan Davis Foehl has been selected to take on the tricky task of translating the role-playing third person shooter game into a cohesive and exciting sci-fi action adventure. Each version of the Mass Effect has been a bestseller, which suggests this project would have a massive marketability right out the gate. However, fans of the franchise wonder how the game—the direction of which is shaped largely by its user—will translate into a film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1482455/

The first idea of the film was to tell the story about past of Commander Shepard.. The Skyllian Blitz. After they heard the negative comments about the idea, they decided to transform the game's plot into the movie.

Skyllian Blitz - Mass effect wiki

Mass Effect Movie

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a big ME fan, so I'm very curious about this movie.

But given that most VG movies have flopped, I'm also hesitant.

And while ME was a good story, the fact that the player could change the story, and Shepard, to his own degree added quite a bit to the story so it'll be odd watching the "official" story without being able to put in any input. The thing I love about ME is that it's such an interactive story and movies are not interactive.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I'm a big ME fan, so I'm very curious about this movie.

But given that most VG movies have flopped, I'm also hesitant.

And while ME was a good story, the fact that the player could change the story, and Shepard, to his own degree added quite a bit to the story so it'll be odd watching the "official" story without being able to put in any input. The thing I love about ME is that it's such an interactive story and movies are not interactive.
    Mass Effect was interactive but the only decision that ever really made an impact on the actual story was who you romanced and if a squad member died.

Overall I wish they wouldn't make a movie based off the video game story, I don't need nor want a movie over it, if I want to see the Mass Effect story I can play the game, it works well as a game.

Next who Shepard romanced would be shoehorned as Ashley (with a slight chance of Liara) simply because it will appease the casual film goer to see Shepard romance a human like himself.

Next, due to the games length, Mass Effect is a massive story (kind of like a TV show), while much of the dialogue is cut-able, you still need to be able to fit all of the story into one movie (unless they go the trilogy route, smarter that way I guess).

Next, you couldn't have the vast cast of characters that the games had (or at least they would have to be much smaller) and you couldn't develop them as well as they are in the games (due to time restraints), and due to the fact that it's really all the characters that aren't shepard that are the interesting characters and the characters that make the story, it would vastly be negative for the movie.

They should have based the movie in the Mass Effect universe if they wanted to make a movie, not base it off the actual games story everybody has already seen acted out. It really won't be effective, and I doubt it would be art (which is what it can be, art).

This should stay as a video game, at least Shepard's story, honestly in my opinion this is looking like it will be the equivalent to a bad movie remake that had good source material that should have been left alone (Total Recall).

There is no reason to film this movie other than to milk the franchise clean.
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2012-11-30 at 04:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never played or seen Mass Effect but maybe if there was more storylines I could see it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi