Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Haven't seen anybody mention this part anywhere yet. It's going to fun if (and probably when) people expecting to have six character slots find out they have to buy the other four.
    The communication is unclear (what else is new), but it sounds to me that they are letting them activate 6 characters and can buy more. I am very wary of committing to the exact meaning, but I am usually super skeptical of everything and I feel like 'activate' means just choosing which 6 you want.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    The communication is unclear (what else is new), but it sounds to me that they are letting them activate 6 characters and can buy more. I am very wary of committing to the exact meaning, but I am usually super skeptical of everything and I feel like 'activate' means just choosing which 6 you want.
    But it's not just "Activate", it's "activate up to". The connotations are very different than just saying something like "preferred players will be given six character slots."

    I'm guessing they're setting it up so that f2p players get two slots, "up to six (with purchase of slots beyond two)" will be named a 'Preferred' perk, and subs will get twelve.

  3. #23
    The Patient Saitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    263
    "In an earlier draft of F2P, we had it so that F2Pers couldn’t use spacebar inside cutscenes and we almost had a riot inside this building."

    The fact that someone even came up with that restriction in the first place worries me greatly.

  4. #24
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    But it's not just "Activate", it's "activate up to". The connotations are very different than just saying something like "preferred players will be given six character slots."

    I'm guessing they're setting it up so that f2p players get two slots, "up to six (with purchase of slots beyond two)" will be named a 'Preferred' perk, and subs will get twelve.
    Except you are missing the statement that sets it up:
    We are already starting to make adjustments: we will go to six character slots for our preferred players instead of two and four quick bars for our prefered players instead of two

  5. #25
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    I would prefer they actually use their limited development resources for actually making the game more re-playable and refining/fixing the current issues with the game, not using it to develop some random card game/chess simulators or pet battles
    You know it's possible to do both. This is essentially the same argument as PvE vs PvP. The PvE guy always wants developers to concentrate on PvE content at the expense of PvP content, and vice versa. There are many facets to an MMO. Not all the remaining programmers can just concentrate on your particular favorite one -- that's not how development works.

    Basically what I'm saying is, don't be that guy.

    "Space" is a minigame in SWTOR, by the way.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Saitan View Post
    "In an earlier draft of F2P, we had it so that F2Pers couldn’t use spacebar inside cutscenes and we almost had a riot inside this building."

    The fact that someone even came up with that restriction in the first place worries me greatly.
    Yeah, when I read that I facepalmed so hard. I get what he was trying to say, but that was one of the worst ways to try and say it -_-

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Except you are missing the statement that sets it up:
    I think that:

    We haven’t announced that (character slots) but this is the first revel of allowing preferred players to get six character slots.
    says a lot more than your quote. Note the use of the phrase "allowing preferred players to get", specifically the "allow to get" part. Not just "allow preferred player six slots", but "allow preferred players to get".

    Also, if they wanted to just give 'Preferred' players six character slots, they could do it next week. They're not. They're waiting until character slots become available for sale:

    Once we come in and enforcing the character slots that you have, that will come in the same patch that allow players to buy more character slots and preferred players will be able to activate up to six character slots.
    Also keep in mind that the whole system BioWare has created is designed to cajole players into subscribing. Allowing 'Preferred' players to buy more slots, but less than they would have as a subscriber, gets them store purchases while meeting the design philosophy. Just giving character slots, and then allowing purchases up to twelve? Not so much.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Also keep in mind that the whole system BioWare has created is designed to cajole players into subscribing. Allowing 'Preferred' players to buy more slots, but less than they would have as a subscriber, gets them store purchases while meeting the design philosophy. Just giving character slots, and then allowing purchases up to twelve? Not so much.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I noticed that in the last quote because it says "preferred players will be able to activate up to six character slots". That was a dead giveaway for me because they said it's all coming in the same patch.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    You know it's possible to do both. This is essentially the same argument as PvE vs PvP. The PvE guy always wants developers to concentrate on PvE content at the expense of PvP content, and vice versa. There are many facets to an MMO. Not all the remaining programmers can just concentrate on your particular favorite one -- that's not how development works.

    Basically what I'm saying is, don't be that guy.

    "Space" is a minigame in SWTOR, by the way.
    I read your post and my bullshit detector went off straight away, so I'm going to leave you with your patronizing and naive comments on your own, until you actually read and comprehend my post to begin with.
    "there n point in arguing coz everyone has there own opinion" - WoW/Alterac Valley - Random guy

  10. #30
    Originally Posted by SWTOR

    When is Cathar coming out? Are we planning on any races beyond that.

    Damion: I want it out as soon as it is feasible because we want to see how everything does on the market. The answer to the second question is how well is the Cathar doing on the marketplace. Doing a race and all the customization options is very very expensive but if it is something popular, that is something we will do more.

    Well that's just fucking brilliant. Lets put the chances of including more races later on solely on how well a shitty looking race most people don't give a flying fuck about sells in the market.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Originally Posted by SWTOR

    When is Cathar coming out? Are we planning on any races beyond that.

    Damion: I want it out as soon as it is feasible because we want to see how everything does on the market. The answer to the second question is how well is the Cathar doing on the marketplace. Doing a race and all the customization options is very very expensive but if it is something popular, that is something we will do more.

    Well that's just fucking brilliant. Lets put the chances of including more races later on solely on how well a shitty looking race most people don't give a flying fuck about sells in the market.
    It's funny because races in SWTOR aren't even hard to make... just slap on new paint, put some BS lore here and there that doesn't even have to be in-game.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  12. #32
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    I read your post and my bullshit detector went off straight away, so I'm going to leave you with your patronizing and naive comments on your own, until you actually read and comprehend my post to begin with.
    That's funny, because I read any of your posts and it screams attention whore with nothing relevant to say. His post was entirely accurate, but you wanted to feel special. Here's a tip: None of us are special here. Move along.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 12:12 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    It's funny because races in SWTOR aren't even hard to make... just slap on new paint, put some BS lore here and there that doesn't even have to be in-game.
    So, so true unfortunately. It's sad.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Saitan View Post
    "In an earlier draft of F2P, we had it so that F2Pers couldn’t use spacebar inside cutscenes and we almost had a riot inside this building."

    The fact that someone even came up with that restriction in the first place worries me greatly.
    Do they even realize Youtube has a better F2P model than their current F2P for people who only cares about the story?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    I read your post and my bullshit detector went off straight away, so I'm going to leave you with your patronizing and naive comments on your own, until you actually read and comprehend my post to begin with.
    Considering all you did was just spew words without actually giving any kind of suggestion as to how to achieve these goals that you've pinpointed as being important (even if nobody else has) tells me that your bullshit detector isn't functioning properly. Next time you're going to put together an extremely long diatribe, be less vague and give more reasoning. Basically, the TL;DR version of your paragraph was "I want more open world PvP." And nothing else.

  15. #35
    Bloodsail Admiral ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by freeforumuser View Post
    Do they even realize Youtube has a better F2P model than their current F2P for people who only cares about the story?
    i'm not quite getting your point here... seems to me that you're bouncing off walls with it.

    also not seeing what that has to do with your quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by freeforumuser View Post
    Do they even realize Youtube has a better F2P model than their current F2P for people who only cares about the story?
    Yeah. Every loading screen should have an advertisement for Capella university or Mist of Panderia. That's the solution. Use the "f2p" model that youtube uses.
    Right.
    Because we want to have to watch at least 30 seconds of Ax shaving gel commercials before cut-scenes.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Saitan View Post
    "In an earlier draft of F2P, we had it so that F2Pers couldn’t use spacebar inside cutscenes and we almost had a riot inside this building."

    The fact that someone even came up with that restriction in the first place worries me greatly.
    It worries me greatly too after reading that line. For me, not saying it is a direct evident or direct proof, but for me this is enough to make me believe they did try to make a model with as many as possible restrictions in-game. My initial thought after reading the restrictions when the F2P went alive still holds to this day, milking players or making the game very restrictive in order to make ppl subscribe.

    I honestly don't know what the ppl in that "building" are thinking. They have done a research and it shows that the sub fee was a barrier for a lot of players, they said that in an interview. And now they have put in a system that basically asks you to subscribe for practically everything when you open up your user interface. You see a yellow icon everywhere... I can't even choose the locbox from a mission completion...
    Asking the question why Darkness exists, is a question that leads to Infinity.

  18. #38
    As to the character slots thing, my view was, and still is, that character slots always should have been something to purchase for free and preferred customers. If they'd really wanted a difference between free and preferred, my solution would have been as simple as free = 2 slots, preferred = 3 slots, both able to purchase more. That's me though. The ability to purchase extra characters slots, locking it off from the free to play players.. I'm sorry, it seems insane. Go look around at the free to play games out there, and even amongst the most restrictive models you'll still have character slot purchases out the gate. From what I can tell, extra character slots are a popular item across many free to play MMOs. Again, I have to repeat this with that in mind, looking off extra character slot purchases from the free to play player, behind the preferred customer walls, seems insane - money lost, not gained.

  19. #39
    Bloodsail Admiral ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    As to the character slots thing, my view was, and still is, that character slots always should have been something to purchase for free and preferred customers. If they'd really wanted a difference between free and preferred, my solution would have been as simple as free = 2 slots, preferred = 3 slots, both able to purchase more. That's me though. The ability to purchase extra characters slots, locking it off from the free to play players.. I'm sorry, it seems insane. Go look around at the free to play games out there, and even amongst the most restrictive models you'll still have character slot purchases out the gate. From what I can tell, extra character slots are a popular item across many free to play MMOs. Again, I have to repeat this with that in mind, looking off extra character slot purchases from the free to play player, behind the preferred customer walls, seems insane - money lost, not gained.
    well remember, in order to buy anything you have to be preferred since buying coins makes you prefered.

    so really f2p people can't buy anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    That's funny, because I read any of your posts and it screams attention whore with nothing relevant to say. His post was entirely accurate, but you wanted to feel special. Here's a tip: None of us are special here. Move along.[COLOR="red"]
    Here's a tip, actually read a post before critiquing it or agreeing with someone elses judgemental and completely unjustified response, this what you wrote now is nothing more than a personal attack, how about you rethink your priorities in this chat room or is your purpose here just to cause drama?
    Move along? Are you for real, you actually take the same patronizing tone as the guy I was responding to, is it because I've disagreed with you on certain elements and expressed with details why I disagree?
    Congratulations, how about you take a deep look at yourself and how you're making yourself look for once, if anyone is an attention whore here it is you.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 05:52 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    ...
    Re-playability and greater scope of the game would solve some of the major issues, to break free from the WoW "stir it up with FOTM until expansion" design is the only solution for SWTOR if there is one, to expand on world combat and objectives, having consequences and faction ownership of worlds/cities; it might seem like much to ask for but I believe it is the only real solution to the game concerning PvP or even PvE as those can be easily linked in such a system if basic steps are taken.
    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Considering all you did was just spew words without actually giving any kind of suggestion as to how to achieve these goals that you've pinpointed as being important (even if nobody else has) .
    So when I disagree with mini-games being prioritized I need to design the game fully as to not be painted out as a biased PvP crazed "word spewer", nice.
    I don't think many of you actually read what I wrote, you and others I have responded to now have just glanced at it and quickly taken a cheap shot stance on it.
    Yes, I disagree with the focus on small scale consumable and often instanced content which becomes unusable in a few weeks and leaving the whole world a place where you walk once or twice in the whole game experience, it is not bound to PvE or PvP, in no way what so ever, read my opinion as "I prefer world activities over closed in mini-game events to a greater degree.".

    ... tells me that your bullshit detector isn't functioning properly
    My bullshit detector works just perfectly, if someone just takes cheap shots at me and doesn't even read through my post nor then respond to it in a manner that can in any way be considered a genuine response to the arguments I made, it goes off, your post actually had something more than pure accusations, however you could have left the ones present out though as if you read my post more carefully you would see in the part I linked above, I was not omitting PvE, when I speak my focus is usually PvP, that does not mean PvE would be neglected/removed as a focus as you insinuate here.

    Next time you're going to put together an extremely long diatribe, be less vague and give more reasoning. Basically, the TL;DR version of your paragraph was "I want more open world PvP." And nothing else.
    Telling me what I'm doing next and in a very negative light as well is just extremely poor form from your part, are you attempting to silence me or are you now focused only on personal attacks, was that a friend of yours who got the deserved response or are you just being clever by yourself?

    I was discussing a topic and then was called out as a PvP biased hater of everything else and was given a prolonged patronizing lecture and a metaphor irrelevant to the subject matter or my post, the guy then seriously took a stance educating me on how development works towards that metaphor straw man without any understanding or interest in understanding my prior post and his reply was to say it mildly, provocative, as is yours.
    He somehow assumes EA is pouring funds into SWTOR, to propose that development of any project is translucent in consequence is naive at best.

    I responded to it with the kind of response it deserves due to the hostile nature of it, you're now the third one who has engaged me personally for my opinions with little to add to the actual subject.

    Can we drop the rude stuff now, it will get us nowhere and is frankly disturbing how little the subject matters and how willing people are to find cheap shots just to seem cool here.

    To actually keep on the subject:

    As a suggestion for PvE in the world, how about world bosses, world events, more interactive occurrences in the world which change over time and do not repeat like say events do in WoW in the same manner; Although those are not so bad either, there are so many things you can do if you just want to create longevity in the game.
    Attacks by rebels/imperial or other faction/monster NPC on cities or areas where you are called to defend.
    Planned faction NPC attacks on cities, where instead of a PvP gang trying to take over cities, the other faction sends NPC to do it.
    Faction defence, where an attacking force attempts to take down the faction NPC forces of a city for sovereignty.
    Bosses that attack cities or spawn at random locations that need to be found.
    Unlocking epic missions in the world for those who like to do missions a lot.
    PvP granting the possibility for faction ownership of map sectors as with NPC version.
    Battles where two large groups of players queue up to fight over a piece of land not unlike you queue for a warzone, except you actually are on that spot of land to fight over it in the world for objectives or death match.
    Battles where two large groups of players compete in destroying a similar NPC force faster than the opponent to win, purely PvE.

    I cannot stress how many possibilities there are, mini-games are the locked-in version of events in my opinion.
    Focusing on mini-games will never solve the problem with these kinds of games becoming stale quickly after content pushes, unless content is pushed in a fantastic pace that is, and not even WoW manages this and their budget is far greater I assume with some certainty, things must change constantly or offer options with longevity to allow the games to sustain any kind of fun activity.
    Change can be automated and randomly generated to greater extent in comparison to having developer teams creating instances, railed space maps or card games which possibly 10% of the players go use a couple times in their whole game experience, taking their good ol' time in the development process until it is launched.
    Mini-games are inherently anti-social and counter interactivity in the worlds, hardly any interaction with the world or players happen in them, you have solo space rail shooters, you want card games or other trivial mini-games which are not linked in any way to the game and solve nothing but add time wasting, you have instances with often only 4 people which are accessed with teleportation so you do not need to enter any world and interact or suffer any consequences of locality.
    You have dailies that are considered content but are mindless chores, but here there is a good thing surprisingly, dailies actually get people out from fleet/their ship to interact with the world.

    The irony is by the time "quality" mini-game content is launched people have left the game and been whining on the forums for ages that there is nothing to do, this has been proven in both WoW and SWTOR over and over, they might then come back when content is launched, or not.

    To reiterate, I would prefer they put their time on elements that give longevity on a grander scale rather than more mini-games that give no value to the core game other than time wasting.
    "there n point in arguing coz everyone has there own opinion" - WoW/Alterac Valley - Random guy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •