Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I like the idea of spreading smaller ruptures around. As an assassination rogue, would it make sense to abuse of mutilate's chance if extra combo points to spread 2 to 4 combo points ruptures?
    Basically muti-rupture-tab-muti-rupture-tab and then come back to your first target to start again?
    Would the dot and poison damage and the fact that you'd have lots of energy coming in outweight fok?
    Or even muti-rupture 3 targets and on 4th one envenom-fok spam and then start again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sustaining rup and DP on 2-3 targets is a DPS gain, but you shouldn't be using sub-4 or sub-5 CP ruptures anyway (double mut/rup, swap to AA renew poisons, new target double mut/rup, blah blah). Keeping SnD up > ruptures, DP on all targets, 4/5 CP rups only, and you should be doing fine. For larger AoE, rupture "main" targets while FoKing as described previously.

Whatt exactly did you mean by "abusing" mutilate's chance for extra combo points?
    Last edited by Kael; 2012-12-01 at 09:45 PM. Reason: tpyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    Sustaining rup and DP on 2-3 targets is a DPS gain, but you shouldn't be using sub-4 or sub-5 CP ruptures anyway (double mut/rup, swap to AA renew poisons, new target double mut/rup, blah blah). Keeping SnD up > ruptures, DP on all targets, 4/5 CP rups only, and you should be doing fine. For larger AoE, rupture "main" targets while FoKing as described previously.

Wait exactly did you mean by "abusing" mutilate's chance for extra combo points?
    Well I think some were talking about 1 Cp ruptures not being viable. As assassination you will never have 1 combo ruptures, if you tab and muti-rup.
    Lets take 5 mobs.
    Stealth - mutilate on first (no energy cost) minimum of 2 cp and rupture
    Second mob muti-rup brings you down in energy but you still have enough to tab and...
    Third mob muti rup. With no waiting time.
    Now you can switch to the fourth, you d have enough time i think left on the first ruptures to still benefit your energy levels.
    So it's bababang 5 points with 5 anticipation and then envenom - Ct Followed by fok spam with envenom buff. Some should be dead by then so it's back to single rotation.
    Not bad. Or is that the normal aoe rotation we're supposed to follow?

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 02:33 PM ----------

This could work for 3-5 mobs? Would it be better? Or just follow your plain single rotation, redirect on 5 CP rupture to second mob and back on single rotation?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no advantage to putting up 2-CP or 3-CP ruptures for the same reason there's no advantage to using 1-CP ruptures. It's energy inefficient. See math in previous posts. For 2/3 mobs you can multi-poison multi-rupture, but you should be using 4/5 CP ruptures and not allowing SnD to drop. For large AoE, spending time using mut to start up is a HUGE damage waste by not using FoK from the start. Mut doesn't do much damage at all, rupture doesn't do much damage at all, and by the time you reach a 4th target, a 2-CP rupture is already falling off your first target.

You could ostensibly use redirect to swap rupture for a second mob, but target-switching, popping 2 muts, and then rupturing is better; it encourages hot-swapping to get auto-attacks to renew DP.

Just so this is clear: CT does 210% initial damage over 12 seconds, not 30%. They hotfixed that in way back at the beginning of MoP but for some reason never corrected the tooltip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    There's no advantage to putting up 2-CP or 3-CP ruptures for the same reason there's no advantage to using 1-CP ruptures. It's energy inefficient.
    But is it DAMAGE inefficient? A full bar of energy can put up two 2-CP ruptures, now they are both proccing venomous wounds, which gives you energy but also does damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose you'd technically need to sim it, but buffed with 2p VW is barely 12% of our damage, which leads me to think that damage from VW < energy gain from VW = 5 CP >2/3 CP.

It's worth noting that 2 2.5 CP ruptures take twice the energy to apply as 1 5 CP rupture. Your 2 2/3 ruptures will "yield" energy returns, but not as much as 5 CP ruptures (the same as the full AoE scenario) and while it's... possible(?) that the increased uptime of rupture/target would outdamage the energy gains (for use on mut --> CPs), it seems really really unlikely. Each CP after the first adds half the initial value (in ticks; 4/6/8/10/12), meaning that IF 1 CP ruptures are bad (they are), you won't see anything but linear scaling of value. You could math it out over time, but I'm reeeeally skeptical.

2/3 CP app cost/gain:80 energy: 1 mut (2 poison proc chances), 6/8 ticks of rupture (45-60 energy). Net energy: -20-35
    4/5 CP app cost/gain: 135 energy: 2 mut (4 poison proc chances), 10/12 ticks of rupture (75-90 energy). Net energy: -45-60

Energy being the limiting resource, you net juust about the same rupture uptime with more mutilates, unless I'm missing something in my math.
    Last edited by Kael; 2012-12-02 at 02:41 AM.