mini ITX Rig (before I pull the trigger)

Hello All....

I just want some input on this mini ITX gaming rig idea. here is what I have to work with:
    Silverstone SGO8 case
    FM2 Socket mini itx mobo
    600 watt PSU

So here are the deal, Im stuck with the components listed above. Id rather just go intel and all that but i ill spare you the long drawn out explanation on why I need to stick with these components. This will be just for playing Rift while Im away for work, which is 3/4 of the year. This has to fit in a carry on suitcase which is why im going with the size.
    Thinking about going with the AMD A10-5800k. So my question is which Graphics card should I get to run the game at high/ultra settings ? Id like to stay under the $200 mark and prefer the GTX line up. What kind of performance should I expect? Will this work or will cpu just bottle neck anyway so toss out the whole idea altogether ?
    Your thoughts, please?
    Last edited by dp00237; 2012-11-30 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dp00237 View Post
    Hello All....

I just want some input on this mini ITX gaming rig idea. here is what I have to work with:
    Silverstone SGO8 case
    FM2 Socket mini itx mobo
    600 watt PSU

So here are the deal, Im stuck with the components listed above. Id rather just go intel and all that but i ill spare you the long drawn out explanation on why I need to stick with these components. This will be just for playing Rift while Im away for work, which is 3/4 of the year. This has to fit in a carry on suitcase which is why im going with the size.
    Thinking about going with the AMD A10-5800k. So my question is which Graphics card should I get to run the game at high/ultra settings ? Id like to stay under the $200 mark and prefer the GTX line up. What kind of performance should I expect? Will this work or will cpu just bottle neck anyway so toss out the whole idea altogether ?
    Your thoughts, please?
    That CPU is 100 watt TDP. A decent upper mid range GPU might be 150 watt max? A 600 watt PSU seems like overkill.

Having said that... seems kinda wasteful getting a powerful GPU to pair with a weak CPU. Did you already buy it? I think if you're going external GPU route, go get a cheap i3 with low TDP so you can cut down the PSU and CPU cooling req'd even more.

The CPU is fine. It's not as good as some that's out there, but it's not outright bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would skip the video card on a MiniITX build unless you're going to be using it as a main computer and gaming heavily on it

the A10 5800K and A8 5600K aren't terrible processors, but you have to know what they're designed for. I plan on buying a mini ITX build with an A10 5800K at some point in the near future to use as a media center on my TV, and playing some platformer multiplayer games on. It'll handle newer games (read the reviews) but don't expect stellar performance. It's a pretty powerful little processor
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

There's also plenty of Z77 options if more processor power is required.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The CPU is fine. It's not as good as some that's out there, but it's not outright bad.
    With a discrete GPU, the lowliest i3 IB CPU (55 watt) will at worst be even with the A10-5800K and at best up to 20% quicker. The only real drawback is the higher cost.

Thanks for the input.
    I could save aprrox $200 going this cpu/mobo route and if I could maintain 40-50 fps playing Rift during raids with high settings, not necessarilly maxed, then I would be happy. The case comes with a 600 watt power supply and will fit just about any high end graphics card you can throw at it. I know, I know, just shell out the 200 bucks..... Its just hard to justify having three gaming rigs, (his, hers, and one for travel). Ive simply had no experience with the AMD line in the last decade so Im not sure how they perform with the newer MMOs. i3 could be an alternative, I just assumed the A10 is better but Im a little clueless on the architecture details to be honest. The other Rig is running a 3570k which is more than enough for playing Rift.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For Rift and WoW AMD's are fine they really are people think you have to have an I5 you don't esp if it's for a travel pc and your not using it everyday. I would look at the I3's power vs amd's thou it's usually a bit less. The thing that puts the edge to the I3 for me thou would be the fact that there is more Mobo choices for it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130673 MSI mobo mini itx
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116775 I3 3220

That combo wouldn't be bad and the I3 only uses 55 watts

Quote Originally Posted by dp00237 View Post
    I could save aprrox $200 going this cpu/mobo route and if I could maintain 40-50 fps playing Rift during raids with high settings, not necessarilly maxed, then I would be happy. The case comes with a 600 watt power supply and will fit just about any high end graphics card you can throw at it. I know, I know, just shell out the 200 bucks..... Its just hard to justify having three gaming rigs, (his, hers, and one for travel). Ive simply had no experience with the AMD line in the last decade so Im not sure how they perform with the newer MMOs. i3 could be an alternative, I just assumed the A10 is better but Im a little clueless on the architecture details to be honest. The other Rig is running a 3570k which is more than enough for playing Rift.
    First off, the A10-5800K has integrated graphics which would be rendered useless with discreet graphics. Unfortunately, the A10-5800K and its equivalently priced FX-4300 without integrated graphics has approximately the same performance: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/700?vs=675 . Additionally, the i3-3220 has approximately the same multi-threaded performance but the i3 pulls ahead in single threaded applications (eg. games): http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/700?vs=677 . An i3 build is approximately the same price as an A10-5800K: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gwmD

There are some nice combo deals for the ASUS P8H77-I: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1097045 , http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1097042

Second, there are no GTX cards from this generation under $200. You would either have to go with the 560 Ti for ~$190 or the 660 for ~$220.

Currently, your build is as follows:
    Case - $200
    CPU - $130
    Mobo - $90
    GPU - $200

Total - $620

Since your case takes up such a significant portion of your budget, you don't have much to spend on the 'performance' parts (CPU/GPU).

I would go with a cheaper case: SG05BB + 450PSU $130, smaller than SG08, Fractal Node 304 $90 - No PSU, ~1" larger than SG08 in all dimensions or Coolermaster Elite 120 $40 after promocode - No PSU, ~1.5" larger in all dimensions. Coupled with a $50 or so PSU and each case would be: SG05BB - $130, Node 304 - $140, Elite 120 $90.

Going with a cheaper case would give you some room for getting a GTX 660.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    For Rift and WoW AMD's are fine they really are people think you have to have an I5 you don't esp if it's for a travel pc and your not using it everyday. I would look at the I3's power vs amd's thou it's usually a bit less. The thing that puts the edge to the I3 for me thou would be the fact that there is more Mobo choices for it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130673 MSI mobo mini itx
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116775 I3 3220

That combo wouldn't be bad and the I3 only uses 55 watts
    i3 3220 and A10 5800K have similar cost (mobos aside) but the A10 is only a good buy if you plan on sticking with the integrated GPU. With a discrete GPU, the reasons for purchasing AMD in that scenario pretty much disappear.

Great advice guys! The only reason the A10 was an option is because I couldnt find a itx mobo for an fx chip. But with the lower cost case and a lower power consumption i3, as mentioned above, my options expand for sure. The 660 is what I had my eye on too. Thanks again for the research and advice you guys put in. I should have this complete in the next few weeks and will post the results.