Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
15
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Oh, I dunno. Could be these things most of us call "basic human rights" which usually includes not being treated like shit.
    Basic human rights doesn't include protect you from "people being meanies".

  2. #82
    Warchief Tzalix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,088
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    If that would be relevant about half of the world's population would probably just be sitting 29 days in jail.
    Yes. But I guess a world where everyone is treated equally is not relevant to the laws of the United States.

    Carry on with your excuses for how you all have the right to be assholes, please.
    The world is full of evil and lies and pain and death, and you can't hide from it... You can only face it. The question is, when you do, how do you respond? Who do you become?

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    If that would be relevant about half of the world's population would probably just be sitting 29 days in jail.
    This is a fact. I can't tell you how many times I've been treated like shit by people who work at a cell phone company, or my ISP - lol, I remember back in the days when I used AOL and they refused to cancel my account and kept charging me, and there was nothing I could do about it, even going to the bank and doing a stop payment on it didn't work - or going to a retail store, fast food place. Anything. People are assholes. I don't think they should go to jail for it. At most, they should probably be fired - but in some cases, it's encouraged by those at the top (like the AOL thing) and it's their job to be assholes.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Basic human rights doesn't include protect you from "people being meanies".
    Yes it kinda does. "Meanies" ranging from KKK to bullies should be punished because humans not matter what race or disability is to be treated equally. And even if they do have the right to freedom of speech they should should lose that right when they use against someone else's rights
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I was replying to how Laize feels as though free speech causes no harm. Where did I mention people should serve prison terms?
    He never said free speech causes no harm, just that that harm by and large shouldn't be a jail able offense.

    And to the second bit:Reductio ad absurdum. Not necessarily your personal sentiment, but jailing anyone who says anything remotely offensive seems to be a pretty popular sentiment by people who flock to these types of threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Yes. But I guess a world where everyone is treated equally is not relevant to the laws of the United States.

    Carry on with your excuses for how you all have the right to be assholes, please.
    You've offended me greatly and have breached my rights as a human being to exist without having my feelings or sensibilities harmed in any way. Please direct me to the Sweedish legal channels so we may have your government redress my grievances in a court of law. Your implication that another human being, with rights and his own inherent dignity, should be anally violated in prison deeply bothered me and I don't know how I can cope.


    Last edited by shimerra; 2012-11-30 at 10:32 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

  6. #86
    Seeing as this topic will undoubtedly land on bullying, and seeing as over half the MMO-Champion community was bullied in school, I'm choosing to stay away from this topic. No more forum bans for Bernard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post
    I am going to report your post for spreading false information, which is an offense according to the rules of these forums.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Yes it kinda does. "Meanies" ranging from KKK to bullies should be punished because humans not matter what race or disability is to be treated equally. And even if they do have the right to freedom of speech they should should lose that right when they use against someone else's rights
    Oh please. What right is being violated? The right not to have your feelings hurt? Find me that in the Constitution.

  8. #88
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Well its the Judges decision....not the "governments" I but still think that he deserved it and that things like this should be taken more seriously, some people get away with crazy shit thanks to "freedom of speech", like Westboro and other hate groups. You want to go out in the world and vocally abuse a group of people or someone, then get punished.
    Regardless, that is a gateway we probably shouldn't open. There are better ways to deal with hate speech and offensive language than prison terms.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Regardless, that is a gateway we probably shouldn't open. There are better ways to deal with hate speech and offensive language than prison terms.
    Sure, what do you think? I'm thinking ridiculous fine.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

  10. #90
    The Lightbringer Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    3,943
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Disorderly Conduct and Aggravated Menacing is what he was charged with, and both are very vague crimes but what he did falls under either/or. Usually when you are charged with one of these you show up for court, plead no contest and pay a fine. But I imagine the Judge - rightfully so - wanted to impress upon this forty-three fucking year old child that this is not how you behave in society.
    Good post. I agree with the Judge.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Disorderly Conduct and Aggravated Menacing is what he was charged with, and both are very vague crimes but what he did falls under either/or. Usually when you are charged with one of these you show up for court, plead no contest and pay a fine. But I imagine the Judge - rightfully so - wanted to impress upon this forty-three fucking year old child that this is not how you behave in society.
    I agree with this statement. He deserved the punishment that he got.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Yes. But I guess a world where everyone is treated equally is not relevant to the laws of the United States.

    Carry on with your excuses for how you all have the right to be assholes, please.
    We do actually have a right to be assholes if we wish to be, the same way I can be helpful if I wish to be. I don't see people going to jail for being nice.

  13. #93
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Posts
    2,040
    Oh well its another hill-billy judge going on a power trip, guess he needed someone to vent his frustrations on.

    Who will benefit from the jail sentence? The girl? hardly, she will never know of it
    The man? Yeah sure, he will loose his work and possibly his home and thus become dependent on welfare.
    The state? It will have to pay quite a large sum of money for housing him and then probably pay him more when he is on welfare as a result of his prison time.

    So really it is a lose-lose situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    This law abiding person doesn't consider taking your guns away to be a punishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Done. Now stop talking to me. Let the ban come now.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Yes it kinda does. "Meanies" ranging from KKK to bullies should be punished because humans not matter what race or disability is to be treated equally. And even if they do have the right to freedom of speech they should should lose that right when they use against someone else's rights
    Treat people equally by making laws singling them out. You know, to force people to treat them equally. Works great.

    No one's rights are violated. For example, if I met you on the street and called you an appropriate racial slur, I wouldn't be violating any of your rights.

    If I stood on a soapbox and shouted all day about how a given demographic group shouldn't be on this planet, I still wouldn't be violating anyone's rights.

    If I mocked a handicapped person, I wouldn't be violating their rights. There's nothing in the US Constitution that protects you from people being mean to you if it violates the offender's right to freedom of speech.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    He never said free speech causes no harm, just that that harm by and large shouldn't be a jail able offense.

    And to the second bit:Reductio ad absurdum. Not necessarily your personal sentiment, but jailing anyone who says anything remotely offensive seems to be a pretty popular sentiment by people who flock to these types of threads.



    You've offended me greatly and have breached my rights as a human being to exist without having my feelings or sensibilities harmed in any way. Please direct me to the Sweedish legal channels so we may have your government redress my grievances in a court of law. Your implication that another human being, with rights and his own inherent dignity, should be anally violated in prison deeply bothered me and I don't know how I can cope.


    Prove it in court and see what judge says
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

  16. #96
    Warchief Tzalix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,088
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    You've offended me greatly and have breached my rights as a human being to exist without having my feelings or sensibilities harmed in any way. Please direct me to the Sweedish legal channels so we may have your government redress my grievances in a court of law. Your implication that another human being, with rights and his own inherent dignity, should be anally violated in prison deeply bothered me and I don't know how I can cope.
    Very good.

    What does it have to do with me living in Sweden though?
    The world is full of evil and lies and pain and death, and you can't hide from it... You can only face it. The question is, when you do, how do you respond? Who do you become?

  17. #97
    he was an asshose yes, but jail? nah that is way too much imo..
    My SoundCloud.
    Take a look and comment!

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Treat people equally by making laws singling them out. You know, to force people to treat them equally. Works great.

    No one's rights are violated. For example, if I met you on the street and called you an appropriate racial slur, I wouldn't be violating any of your rights.

    If I stood on a soapbox and shouted all day about how a given demographic group shouldn't be on this planet, I still wouldn't be violating anyone's rights.

    If I mocked a handicapped person, I wouldn't be violating their rights. There's nothing in the US Constitution that protects you from people being mean to you if it violates the offender's right to freedom of speech.
    But you fucking are.....
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    This is a fact. I can't tell you how many times I've been treated like shit by people who work at a cell phone company, or my ISP - lol, I remember back in the days when I used AOL and they refused to cancel my account and kept charging me, and there was nothing I could do about it, even going to the bank and doing a stop payment on it didn't work - or going to a retail store, fast food place. Anything. People are assholes. I don't think they should go to jail for it. At most, they should probably be fired - but in some cases, it's encouraged by those at the top (like the AOL thing) and it's their job to be assholes.
    Are you serious?

    You are an adult and have a stressful job full with assholes, this is normal.

    The girl is a child with a disability that she has to deal with every day. He wasn't just being an asshole, he was harassing her. He is an adult who falls to the level of prepubecent bullies... I see no excuse that could justify his stupid actions. 29 days in jail is a lot indeed a fine or demeaning punishment would have been nice as too, but 29 days in jail is not too much.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2012-11-30 at 10:38 AM.
    Fire walk with me!

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    But you fucking are.....
    You don't have a legal protection from people being jerks. If you can prove it's harassment, that's different. But a single instance of someone mocking a disability is not harassment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •