Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    And yet here we have a case in Ohio in which very similar reasoning was used
    which could easily get appealed, I just doubt if he will bother since the sentence would be over by then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Lol wut? Whose rights are violated by this?

The girl? That got mocked? You missed that part?
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    So what will YOU do if your kid gets bullied and commits suicide? Write them off as a weak individual that "probably wouldn't have helped society in any meaningful way anyway"?
    I'd blame myself for not being a good enough parent that I couldn't stop my child from being someone who kills themselves because someone made them feel bad.
    It's could've and would've. Not could of and would of. Not sure when "of" started meaning "have," but everyone who thinks it does needs to go back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    We don't, actually. The groups that are well known and are allowed to rally are very careful in their language, because the first amendment specifically excludes Hate Speech.
    Lol... check your facts.

In the United States, hate speech is protected as a civil right (aside from usual exceptions to free speech, such as defamation, incitement to riot, and fighting words).[54] Laws prohibiting hate speech are unconstitutional in the United States; the United States federal government and state governments are forbidden by the First Amendment of the Constitution from restricting speech.

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    my apologies if i misunderstood what you were saying, but you're in a thread about a person going to jail for mocking somebody so that's what it seemed like you were arguing for.
    And a judge decided thats what he deserved. Maybe not always jail but it should brought to attention and stopped.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Good, about time people realize freedom of speech isn't something to hide behind while you insult someone or try to bring them down.
    "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." Words to live by.
    ^I agree with this 1000%.

Except he didn't swing his fist.

As I said, he's a fucking asshole but you don't get to be arrested for freedom of speech.
    How is making fun of someone with a medical condition considered freedom of speech in any way?
    He's an adult, he should know better. Maybe jail is a tad over the top but how else do you
    teach an adult who is obviously stubborn, ignorant and heartless.
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post

The girl? That got mocked? You missed that part?
    Oh I understand she's a victim. But what rights were violated?

Wait, Only 29 days?

This jerk deserves much more than this. I get that his son got insulted, but come on... pick someone your own size.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kio View Post
    I'd blame myself for not being a good enough parent that I couldn't stop my child from being someone who kills themselves because someone made them feel bad.
    Again, it's beyond "feeling bad". Kids don't kill themselves because they feel bad.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Again, it's beyond "feeling bad". Kids don't kill themselves because they feel bad.
    The cases where kids kill themselves would usually fall unders harassment, which is a criminal charge.

10+ Year Old Account
    *sigh*

Yes, yes it is. But the United States is signed on the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which means the basis of it still applies to you.
    No, sorry. The U.N. is not law. It's just a guideline that is checked up in a committee annually.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    For freedom of speech? That's a lovely sentiment. I'm glad you hold no political power. The guy had an opinion that was different than most people with common sense but he did nothing illegal. Maybe invaded her personal space a bit but he made no physical contact. Being an asshole isn't illegal.
    You think thats freedom of speech? ok, you are an idiot too.

"The guy had an opinion that was different" ? really?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I understand she's a victim. But what rights were violated?
    Oh, I dunno. Could be these things most of us call "basic human rights" which usually includes not being treated like shit.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

*sigh*

Yes, yes it is. But the United States is signed on the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which means the basis of it still applies to you.
    Actually, nothing supersedes our Constitution. Even if we sign some document for the U.N., if it limits our rights in any way, it is unconstitutional and unable to be upheld in American courts.

Oh, I dunno. Could be these things most of us call "basic human rights" which usually includes not being treated like shit.
    If that would be relevant about half of the world's population would probably just be sitting 29 days in jail.

So less then a month ago we had that hooligan topic where a guy was arrested for making monkey noises at a football match. Pretty much every American in the thread said that such a thing wouldn't happen in the US. But now there is this.

Once again, it is not much different on both sides of the pond.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly though guys, he shouldn't have gone to jail.

While he is a terrible human being worth nothing more than loathing he broke no rules, being an asshole isn't reason enough to sentence someone to prison. Nor should we ever want such laws to exist. As soon as the government says people can go to jail for being offensive we will start falling down a very slippery slope. It is something that can and inevitably will be misused.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    So less then a month ago we had that hooligan topic where a guy was arrested for making monkey noises at a football match. Pretty much every American in the thread said that such a thing wouldn't happen in the US. But now there is this.

Once again, it is not much different on both sides of the pond.
    You made me laugh so hard by reminding me of that thread and those posts by US people.

So this is criminal behavior but what the Phelps Clan do is freedom of speech? Either they are both freedom of speech or neither are.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Honestly though guys, he shouldn't have gone to jail.

While he is a terrible human being worth nothing more than loathing he broke no rules, being an asshole isn't reason enough to sentence someone to prison. Nor should we ever want such laws to exist. As soon as the government says people can go to jail for being offensive we will start falling down a very slippery slope. It is something that can and inevitably will be misused.
    Well its the Judges decision....not the "governments" I but still think that he deserved it and that things like this should be taken more seriously, some people get away with crazy shit thanks to "freedom of speech", like Westboro and other hate groups. You want to go out in the world and vocally abuse a group of people or someone, then get punished.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion