Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Outright harassment, not 'speech'. Fuck him, I hope he enjoys his jail time.

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 01:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    And we shouldn't.
    Yes, we should. It's not the same thing. A hate group should have the right to believe whatever they want, the line is drawn when they move to actually harassing blacks/jews/drunken Irishmen, like that asshole was harassing a disabled girl.

Freedom of expression, as long as you're expressing something that most people are okay with, is not freedom of expression at all. If you don't defend someone's right to say something you hate them saying then you're not any different from the ones who condone killing authors for writing books they don't like; you just have a different list of what is unacceptable, and a different set of condoned ways of silencing the 'unacceptable'.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

"What do you call a lawyer with low IQ?"

"Your Honor"

Somehow though, I am not surprised that a graduate of a TTT school like University of Akron law comes up with a ruling that creates a mockery of the law.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Freedom of speech != mocking a ten-year-old handicapped girl

But I guess some people still think everything fall under 'freedom of speech' - it doesn't...
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Good riddance. With power comes responsibility, and people should not abuse their right of free speech to act like morons
    if there are punishments for using free speech, how can it be free speech?

10+ Year Old Account
    "haha, look at that guy in the wheelchair"

Yeah thats a massive dick thing to say but its not illegal.

Freedom of speech my fucking ass.

There was no violence here, there was no copyright issue(which apparently is a worse crime than assault now judging from the punishments). Soon it will be illegal to criticise a restaurant for sucking because you might hurt the waiter's feelings.

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 02:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Googolplex View Post
    Freedom of speech != mocking a ten-year-old handicapped girl

But I guess some people still think everything fall under 'freedom of speech' - it doesn't...
    Tell me what freedom of speech is.

Tell me exactly word for word what is acceptable and what will get you sent to prison and raped by a broken broomstick shaft.[COLOR="red"]

Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    In a few years people will be arrested for calling someone an asshole or bitch, if it hasn't happened already.
    It has though.

And whoever said "freedom of speech, as long as everyone else agrees with you" is 100% right here.
    Last edited by This name sucks; 2012-12-01 at 02:33 AM.

Wow, hard to believe a grown man can be such an idiot.
    Some people are so lucky they don't know of pain others go through, it will be a good lesson for him to spend a little under a month in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Wow, hard to believe a grown man can be such an idiot.
    Some people are so lucky they don't know of pain others go through, it will be a good lesson for him to spend a little under a month in jail.
    America already has the biggest prison population in the planet (it's some crazy proportion of the US population). You really want to overcrowd it even more because someone's feelings were hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Except he didn't swing his fist.

As I said, he's a fucking asshole but you don't get to be arrested for freedom of speech.
    Freedom of speech != freedom of being rude. There's laws against that and that's what happened here. As long as people are too dumb to behave without a law enforcing them, the law is necessary to at least keep up a pretense of civilization.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a few years people will be arrested for calling someone an asshole or bitch, if it hasn't happened already.
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm waiting for. People have become so overly goddamn sensitive, you so much as sneeze in the wrong direction and someone is going to freaking sue you. Makes me sick.

Although I'm not condoning what this guy did, and indeed find it insanely immature, I see absolutely no reason for him to go to jail for it. Stupidity (on both sides) at its finest, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Illegal or not, I don't feel sorry at all for the fucking creep.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    "haha, look at that guy in the wheelchair"

Yeah thats a massive dick thing to say but its not illegal.

Freedom of speech my fucking ass.

There was no violence here, there was no copyright issue(which apparently is a worse crime than assault now judging from the punishments). Soon it will be illegal to criticise a restaurant for sucking because you might hurt the waiter's feelings.

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 02:31 AM ----------

Tell me what freedom of speech is.

Tell me exactly word for word what is acceptable and what will get you sent to prison and raped by a broken broomstick shaft.[COLOR="red"]

It has though.

And whoever said "freedom of speech, as long as everyone else agrees with you" is 100% right here.
    Word for word, freedom of speech is the right to say what you are thinking while keeping others feelings in consideration. I'm not gonna emotionally destroy you even if I think you deserve it, but I will tell you diplomatically that I think you're an asshole. (edit: I don't, obviously, just an example).

This is the definition of freedom of speech in most democracies I'm aware of - there's laws against behaviour that can really harm someone's psychological well-being, as was the case in OP's example. Similarly, you have the freedom to go and put your body wherever you please - go to the mall if you want, or the park, but you do not have a right to put your fist in someone's face just 'cause you feel like it and after all "it's a free country".

Besides, no sane civilization should want anyone who doesn't know how to behave with a minimum of empathy or consideration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    America already has the biggest prison population in the planet (it's some crazy proportion of the US population). You really want to overcrowd it even more because someone's feelings were hurt?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarce..._United_States

1/18 adult males in the US are currently in prison.

GG land of the free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't believe he was sent to jail over this. Unless he had been harassing the family for a long time, I don't see how he broke the law in any way. I guess freedom of speech means freedom to say what we allow you to say.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account

This shit needs to stop. Yes the guy was a huge dick but illegal no. People being persecuted for offending people leads down a bad road. Remember corporations are people in the US so in the future you could potentially sued by a company for saying anything negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    Freedom of speech != freedom of being rude. There's laws against that and that's what happened here. As long as people are too dumb to behave without a law enforcing them, the law is necessary to at least keep up a pretense of civilization.
    Incorrect. There are laws against some specific behavior (such as harassment, stalking, hate speech, etc), none of which happened here by a wide margin. What happened here is an activist judge twisting the law to fit his idiotic white knight crusade.

The whole argument of "freedom of speech != freedom of being rude" baffles me to no end. Do you not understand that freedom of speech has to be either absolute, or it is no freedom at all?

I guess you were cheering for Putin when Pussy Riot got thrown in jail too?

Word for word, freedom of speech is the right to say what you are thinking while keeping others feelings in consideration. I'm not gonna emotionally destroy you even if I think you deserve it, but I will tell you diplomatically that I think you're an asshole. (edit: I don't, obviously, just an example).

This is the definition of freedom of speech in most democracies I'm aware of - there's laws against behaviour that can really harm someone's psychological well-being, as was the case in OP's example. Similarly, you have the freedom to go and put your body wherever you please - go to the mall if you want, or the park, but you do not have a right to put your fist in someone's face just 'cause you feel like it and after all "it's a free country".

Besides, no sane civilization should want anyone who doesn't know how to behave with a minimum of empathy or consideration.
    Again, incorrect. I can push people to suicide with my words, and as long as I don't break certain boundaries (which are different from state to state, and federal law), I am fully within my rights to do so, and will face no legal action. Obviously certain types of speech are controlled tightly for various political reasons (hate speech is a good example), others are not, and nor should they be. Free speech is free only when it is unrestrained - otherwise you end up in society that caters only to the needs of majority. E.g. many Christians find atheists offensive. Under your interpretation of the law, atheists would be silenced by the government.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2012-12-01 at 03:33 AM.

It's dumb-asses like this that end up making things like Freedom of speech get revoked. How hard is it to be a grown man and not act like a twat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Words never hurt you? Guess you've never heard any words that were hurtful enough then.
    how about this. you call me every name in the book and then i'll hit you with a baseball bat in the face

i GUARANTEE you that you'll be hurt worse. you ever wondered why nigger caught on in the USA but cracker and honkey didn't? because white people didn't give a fuck. the person USING the word gives it NO power whatsoever, it becomes powerful when someone start crying like a bitch about being called a honkey or cracker. have you never thought about shit like that?

won't be long until someone in FL shoots someone and uses this case as a reference. the judge said this was malicious and a good lawyer can tie "malicious actions" to "fear of physical well-being" and that's why Mr. Florida shot that guy who called him a cockgobbler

if you criminalize assholishness you open a HUGE fucking can of worms

if it's an attack, then why can't i fight back with my fists to "protect myself"? this judge fucked up

Its so fucking hilarious to me how the people who are spitting all over the freedom of speech here and condemning the guy were likely the very same people who were defending Pussy Riot's "freedom of speech" and condemning the Russian government for acting on a much greater incidence of "rudeness".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kio View Post
    Weak willed individuals who probably wouldn't have helped society in any meaningful way anyway.

Infracted.
    I agree with this guy, atleast in 9 out of 10 cases...ofcourse some kids really get pushed into suicide, but that number is close to nothing compared to the idiots who actually commit suicide over nothing.

It's a shitty reality, but yeah...