Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    He's not persecuting anyone nor is he infringing on their rights.

It's not the government's place to determine what you are and aren't allowed to say as long as it doesn't materially harm someone else.

Yeah it is the governments job to make sure folks like this gets locked up. Actions like this have no place and just because you do not physically hit someone it is still a crime. Free speech does NOT cover hate speech. Harassment is still a crime even if you do not physically hurt anyone. without common sense laws like this we would be living in fking caves still.

I read this thread and can't help but picture that on one side we have all us healthy normal individuals who aren't douchy hipster-liberals,

And the other side is just Laize on all his alts arguing against the rest of us and supporting himself.

I take pride in having a strong sense of morals instead going "but he didn't break any laaaaaaaaws *snivel*."

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Yeah. I'm one of those people who support groups' rights to free speech like the WBC. As long as the speech isn't incisive of violence I see no harm in letting anyone say anything they want.
    Freedom of Speech is generally good, yet leaves it prone to abuse by retards like that Westborough Church and the like...

Deleted
    castrate the bastards and force them to eat what came off, if anything at all, then make them walk while an audience mocks the fucking cunts themselves. My sister got beat up for being mentally handicapped before she died 7 years ago (not the cause of her death though) just because some fucking twats couldn't steal any money off her. I have no tolerance for this kind of shit at all, anyone being mocked in any way for disability should be made disabled themselves and mocked by the victims/families of those who were hurt themselves. I'm never one for capital punishment though in any way, force the fuckers to live and endure a life of hell but that's a different topic.

Hope the bastards get raped in prison too. Motherfuckering inconsiderate, intolerant pieces of dung beetle shit.

Sorry for the rage, this crap hurts me like hell as well as a lot of others I'm sure. This is NOT freedom of speech, this is fucking disgusting and mockery on a different level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Actually you're right. I change my point of view to this. Though a fine would have been good without the jail time, just the fine. That would have at least made him think twice about doing it again.
    Thanks, apparently some more information was available later in the thread that I didn't see. He got jailed for threatening the mother with physical violence which is clearly against the law. Physical threats have to be taken seriously, and he got a justified sentence based on that behavior.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-12-02 at 10:02 AM.

Deleted
    Justice served sweet.

It doesn't matter if there was no law broken or whatever bullshit anyone can come up with to try justify what he did, he got what he deserved.

Hopefully he'll be sodomized so roughly in prison that he will actually end up walking like that for real.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see a lot of hypocrisy in this thread, not to mention a lot of overblown, immature rage. Apparently being raped is a proportional punishment for mocking a handicapped child, and apparently half the posters have never said anything bad about another person. I find reactions to crimes are often far worse than the crimes themselves. Eye for an eye? Fuck that, these people want an eye, an arm, a leg, and at least two vital organs. No room for forgiveness, no room for grace, no room for anything besides brutal retribution. Let's all just kill everyone who hurts us while we downplay the ways we've hurt others.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-12-02 at 10:46 AM.

Well I find it personally very weak to mock and insult disabled persons openly infront of them (I mean im not innocent, I mock and insult people too, but when they're not around, yes its bad, but im not a saint).

p.s.Well, hurting people in my country basically goes unpunished, we got like an est 8million criminal offenives, only 1.2million are applied to our ''police force'' (Imagine that guy hitting her and being arrested, our police would either: Dumbly shoot him (Rishi) or go with a retarded : ''staph, STAPH'', aka totally shitty police) the rest are dumbed in the thrash can by us, why? only 1.8 percent of those 1.2million are actually solved. heh.

Folks, I sympathise that man.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post
    Justice served sweet.

It doesn't matter if there was no law broken or whatever bullshit anyone can come up with to try justify what he did, he got what he deserved.

Hopefully he'll be sodomized so roughly in prison that he will actually end up walking like that for real.
    Does anybody else find it scary that people think like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    I read this thread and can't help but picture that on one side we have all us healthy normal individuals who aren't douchy hipster-liberals,

And the other side is just Laize on all his alts arguing against the rest of us and supporting himself.

I take pride in having a strong sense of morals instead going "but he didn't break any laaaaaaaaws *snivel*."
    I picture cross with anarchists being in one corner and 'justice'-crazed individuals in the opposite corner with those who think making being an asshole a crime is shaky ground where actions that constitute being an asshole would constantly shift in one of the adjoining corners and the people who think that punishment for such an action is OK in the opposite corner of that.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-12-03 at 12:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post
    Justice served sweet.

Someone makes fun of a child, that makes it okay for them to be attacked, raped, and (more than likely) hospitalized?

WTF is wrong with you?

Deleted
    A 43 year old man, mocking a disabled 10 year old child.....

If thats not menancing behaviour then it dam well should be.

Bullying is a very serious issue and for an adult to engage in it against a disabled child, and to encourage his son to do so is disgusting.

I fully support this decision by the judge. Freedom of expression is fine, but its not a right to express yourself without consequences if that expression is both disgusting and criminal.

Shame it was not a longer sentance.

And to anyone going on about freedom of speech, thats not what it means. Its never been absolute, you have slander, copyright, sedition, hatespeech and discrimination laws in all civilised countries. And if you really believe in freedom of speech try shouting "I've got a bomb" next time you go though airport security and see what happens....

“Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.” (Abbie Hoffman), though I get the impression a few people in this thread will not understand that.
    Last edited by mmoc4e3ce29075; 2012-12-03 at 12:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe a few people should read up on the case.

The man wasn't sent to jail for mocking the girl. He was sent to jail for threatening her:

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x17831...d-child?zc_p=0

Tricia Knight, the girl’s mother, filed the menacing complaint with the prosecutor’s office, saying that Bailey threatened to choke her with a chain, said Jennifer Fitzsimmons, assistant city prosecutor.
    Misleading title is misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Maybe a few people should read up on the case.

The man wasn't sent to jail for mocking the girl. He was sent to jail for threatening her:

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x17831...d-child?zc_p=0

Misleading title is misleading.
    That information is effectively meaningless to the discussion if the perception on both sides of the argument is the same. As long as both sides ignore it in the discussion, it doesn't matter. It's effectively a different case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    That information is effectively meaningless to the discussion if the perception on both sides of the argument is the same. As long as both sides ignore it in the discussion, it doesn't matter. It's effectively a different case.
    He went to jail for threatening the child, how is that meaningless to the discussion? The thread title claims he went to jail for mocking the child, which is false.

He went to jail for threatening the child, how is that meaningless to the discussion? The thread title claims he went to jail for mocking the child, which is false.
    Because it effectively becomes a different case at that point. The logical arguments regarding the case as originally presented don't necessarily apply to the real case, but that's unimportant to the discussion regarding the case as presented. We could find out that this never happened and it wouldn't change people's positions on whether it would be right for such a thing to occur, etc.

Basically, we're all talking about something that is hypothetical to us anyway as we aren't involved in the case.

Because it effectively becomes a different case at that point. The logical arguments regarding the case as originally presented don't necessarily apply to the real case, but that's unimportant to the discussion regarding the case as presented. We could find out that this never happened and it wouldn't change people's positions on whether it would be right for such a thing to occur, etc.

Basically, we're all talking about something that is hypothetical to us anyway as we aren't involved in the case.
    so basically you are suggesting that we debate the idea of jail time for verbally abusing a handicapped minor instead of the actual facts of the case cited? am i correct here? it would be a valid discussion imo, and the actual case, represented by that horrendous article muddies the waters for such a discussion

10+ Year Old Account
    Then shouldn't this thread be closed down, since everyone has gone off-topic? The topic was the case in Ohio, not hypothetical scenarios.

Then shouldn't this thread be closed down, since everyone has gone off-topic? The topic was the case in Ohio, not hypothetical scenarios.
    In most online discussions, the people discussing what happened are not involved in the case at all, so it might as well be a hypothetical scenario.

As for closing the thread, maybe. Going off-topic itself is a rather poor reason to close a thread if the discussion is still good.

meh. if a mod had come in on the first page and closed it with "false premise built around a factually inaccurate source" i would have been fine with it. the source and headline were really that bad, that inaccurate, that blatantly biased and inflammatory imo. the discussion as a hypothetical has far more merit