Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Grand Marshal/High Warlord Gear-

    Hi,

    So, I recently hit 2400 in rbgs, and my query is a simple one, why can we as pvpers not at 2400 buy the old lvl 60 gear to transmog? It seems odd.

    Back in the day, to hit r14, it simply required time. most weeks people traded it up etc for others to get it. I recall those days fondly, but alas, I was a boy back then, and flogged my account. so no original titles.

    now what bugs me is, you didnt even NEED GM/HWL back then.. to be allowed to transmog the gear now. a knight captain.. can transmog full R14 set.. despite never seeing rank 14. (a time drive.)

    so in modern RBG's which is as close as you can GET to the old rank system sadly, surely 2400 (arguably harder to attain then r14 back then) should be allowed to transmog the old lvl 60 set. if we can reach 2400 now, we should be allowed the set that Knight Captains from back then have full/free access to..

    Im sure this isnt the first post on this, But I did search and found nothing useful.

    So, input?

  2. #2
    interim solution: turn on blizzard lose control alerts. now you can not see your character or its gear most of the game. Problem technically solved.
    Arena Master Elemental Shaman
    Maeros@Illidan
    http://www.twitch.tv/chroniclinex
    http://www.youtube.com/chroniclinex

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    so in modern RBG's which is as close as you can GET to the old rank system sadly, surely 2400 (arguably harder to attain then r14 back then) should be allowed to transmog the old lvl 60 set. if we can reach 2400 now, we should be allowed the set that Knight Captains from back then have full/free access to..
    you really shouldnt. 2400 on most realmpools is not even that hard to reach except in the most competetive ones.
    Blizzard seems to agree (actually the blue post stated that according to them it is very possible nothing in the game has ever been as hard as R14)

    Also it's to easy to buy your rating/exploit the system today.

    Even if you're not doing it intentionally, on most realmpools good RBG groups can carry mediocre players to 2,2k easily. The only difficulty in getting a good rating in todays pvp scene is playing the right class/comp and knowing the right people. Once you're in, you're in for good.

    the classic honor grind was different, you didn't need to be a skilled player just as today, but it required a tremendous sacrifice of your personal free time.

    I actually like that they made the replica exclusive (and not just because I look like a total badass on my lock in a set not every random noob is running around :-) It's part of the reason though I'll admit lol)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicline View Post
    interim solution: turn on blizzard lose control alerts. now you can not see your character or its gear most of the game. Problem technically solved.
    haha pretty good solution tbh.

    ontopic - i did get rank 14 on my main in vanilla and have been playing rbgs at 2600+ since they were introduced. the two are nowhere near identical in feat, with vanilla Rank 14 being something that required sacrifices, without sounding too dramatic.

    the only reason the titles were re-introduced was because people were whining how good they are and blizzard needed some sort of ranking system for rbgs.

    last couple seasons getting 2400 has been a complete joke, so no, people who get 2400 in rbgs shouldnt touch original GM/HW gear, you are free however to go and buy replicas which look the same.

  5. #5
    that is tres dramatic. and tbh, I think given the amount of people who CLAIM r14 status compared to how many their were is why i auto disbelieve posts.

    Im sorry but it didnt require any kind of sacrifice. it simply required having no life, I never got past 12, because I realised the grind simply wasnt worth the negative effect on my life.

    I am still struggling to see how anyone can compare a long time grind on par with competetive bgs we have now.. the former did not take skill.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    that is tres dramatic. and tbh, I think given the amount of people who CLAIM r14 status compared to how many their were is why i auto disbelieve posts.

    Im sorry but it didnt require any kind of sacrifice. it simply required having no life, I never got past 12, because I realised the grind simply wasnt worth the negative effect on my life.

    I am still struggling to see how anyone can compare a long time grind on par with competetive bgs we have now.. the former did not take skill.
    If you wanted to progress the ranks you had to be somewhat good because if you kept queuing against other premades - you had to beat them. Let alone competing with your own faction for your place on the ranking.

    Now the way things work today. Arena takes skill, in theory qually for everyone. Obviously there is a different level of skill involved between being succesfull on a hpala or enhance etc. not the topic here.
    But RBG take nowhere near the personal skill needed to do well in arena. You can be a mediocre player but as long as you are not completely incompetent easily be carried by the other 9 guys on your team. And I dont think they need to offer any other specific reward than what they do now.

    the old vanilla sets are a reward for oldschool players. Just a little "thank you for sticking around" and a bit of "sorry we completely devalued your oldschool titles and gave them away. Here. Look totally badass instead"

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire Machomaije's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norway, Bergen
    Posts
    427
    Because you need the old rank. Makes sence doesnt it? Have old school rank, get old school rankgear.

    And that is GOOD. Would destroy it if I had to see all the boosted idiots getting it because they payed 160 euros.

  8. #8
    Because HW/GM gear is a legacy, and getting 2400 in rbgs ( which doesn't require much effort from an individual player ) isn't something that should award you that gear.

    Getting 2400+ in arena, however, i'd welcome that, even though i'm not in that rating myself.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
    (actually the blue post stated that according to them it is very possible nothing in the game has ever been as hard as R14)
    Blizzard appears to have a fun time getting difficult and repetitive mixed up.

    I was friends with a Hunter in vanilla (Kil'Jaeden US, Night Elf named Shawt. Not sure if he's still around, he disappeared for most of TBC then suddenly reappeared but never responded to any old friends, very obviously sold his account) and when he reached Grand Marshal, all he had to say about it was that it wasn't hard, it just required him to play (or his friends on his account) endlessly all day in BGs just blanketing everyone he could to get credit for all the Honorable Kills.

    R14 was easily the hardest grind in the game as far as I can conceive, but there is a difference between difficulty via challenging content, and difficulty via boredom/repetition.

    I myself wasn't a very PvP heavy person. I rolled on a PvP server only because my friends who got me into the game were here. I only ever achieved Sergeant on my Warrior. I have Private on my Mage and Hunter, but I digress.

    That said, back on topic, while it's great you were able to reach a high rank. It's rather good that the old gear be kept for those who achieved it during the original rank system. I mean, maybe Grand Marshal RBG rank could reward you a transmogable modern take on the armor idea (Like how the new character creation screen has a more modern variation of the Tier 1 sets, barring Hunter for some reason). But keep the original items for the old crowd.
    Last edited by Assumi; 2012-11-30 at 01:39 AM.

  10. #10
    the difficulty of r14 grind wasn't the actual game play it was playing server politics to get to that point. As for the xmogg can't we have some things that remain for long term players? otherwise I want a scarab lord title thank you.
    Stormspellz -mugthol
    Battletag - Stormz#1438

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Machomaije View Post
    Because you need the old rank. Makes sence doesnt it? Have old school rank, get old school rankgear.

    And that is GOOD. Would destroy it if I had to see all the boosted idiots getting it because they payed 160 euros.
    Except that you dont. you keep saying 'old school players get old school gear.. but no, old school Knight Captains.. not even close to top can do it. so its hardly a sign of veterancy or skill. its simply saying 'I was at least mediocre years ago'

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    Except that you dont. you keep saying 'old school players get old school gear.. but no, old school Knight Captains.. not even close to top can do it. so its hardly a sign of veterancy or skill. its simply saying 'I was at least mediocre years ago'
    Really, as low as Knight-Captain?

    Wow, I thought it was Field Marshal minimum.

    Knight-Captain was Rank 8, that means getting the Grand Marshal transmog gear only requires you to have been at least 51% of the way through the ranks. At rank 8, you couldn't evne buy the head or shoulders for the blue set.
    Last edited by Assumi; 2012-11-30 at 02:41 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
    you really shouldnt. 2400 on most realmpools is not even that hard to reach except in the most competetive ones.
    unless you play a a spec that isnt fotm/a caster that doesnt suck. then its just annoying to find a group/friend that will carry you.
    Arena Master Elemental Shaman
    Maeros@Illidan
    http://www.twitch.tv/chroniclinex
    http://www.youtube.com/chroniclinex

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post

    the old vanilla sets are a reward for oldschool players. Just a little "thank you for sticking around" and a bit of "sorry we completely devalued your oldschool titles and gave them away. Here. Look totally badass instead"
    this might sound stupid or maybe i missed some part of wow because i quit playing a bit. I got r14 back in the days but nowadays when i transmorg i still have to buy the replica gear? or what was all the fuss about? i got slightly confused!

    and for those who claim it was only time consuming. it was indeed, but there the way i ranked is not that different to how it is today, we had a fixed group of 15-20 people farming ab / eos / wsg depending on people all day long, the only difference is that today you will 100% always meet other premades, while back then you had the chance to face other premade honor grinders, but most of the time it was 15 randoms getting annihilated! but yeah, let us keep our gear!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lii View Post
    this might sound stupid or maybe i missed some part of wow because i quit playing a bit. I got r14 back in the days but nowadays when i transmorg i still have to buy the replica gear? or what was all the fuss about? i got slightly confused!

    and for those who claim it was only time consuming. it was indeed, but there the way i ranked is not that different to how it is today, we had a fixed group of 15-20 people farming ab / eos / wsg depending on people all day long, the only difference is that today you will 100% always meet other premades, while back then you had the chance to face other premade honor grinders, but most of the time it was 15 randoms getting annihilated! but yeah, let us keep our gear!
    Oh yeah, Mr. 1 Post? You farmed for R14 in Eye of the Storm?

  16. #16
    i just registered to this page, doesnt mean i didnt rank it, go check Lii kazzak if you dont believe me.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Lii View Post
    i just registered to this page, doesnt mean i didnt rank it, go check Lii kazzak if you dont believe me.
    Uh huh, sure.

    And this is my character: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ggnaros/simple

    And here's one of my alts: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...sejta/advanced

    You can believe me, this is the internet after all. I also ranked R14 in Eye of the Storm like you.

  18. #18
    well if you are going to have that attitude and be that ignorant then so be it, what else do you want me to do, log in and whisper you for you to believe me, just being ridiculous now.

    and my bad, eos was after, too many years ago memory not catching up.
    Last edited by Lii; 2012-11-30 at 05:06 AM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lii View Post
    and my bad, eos was after, too many years ago memory not catching up.
    Finally went to check google for why your lie was so easily caught?

  20. #20
    not at all, just had a little think and remembered eos was not part of it as it was before TBC. I dont see your point in trying to prove im lying, i can easily prove it to you if you are on a european server or in kazzak battlegroup. But then i guess, truth will hurt too much for you as your effort to prove something will be wrong.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •