Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

spvp - state of the game

Might be some info tonight:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...onathan-sharp/

Or some question dodging :P Interesting none the less =)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Might be some info tonight:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...onathan-sharp/

Or some question dodging :P Interesting none the less =)
    Eh, I don't think this really means anything. The guy who's in charge of looking after sPvP is going to be talking to a few top players. That's great, but what has been done in sPvP since release hasn't really changed anything. The only attempt to get more people to play sPvP was introducing daily/monthlys, and the rewards for those were crap. PvP salvage kits that cost a few glory... for the monthly? Seriously? I think it's the first time I've straight up trashed a reward item.

sPvP needs more modes (team deathmatch comes to mind) and a ranking system that doesn't throw skilled players in with pugs to get slaughtered. I hardly think the ANet sPvP lead needs to talk to the top players in the game to figure that out. sPvP is bleeding and dying, queue times for games get longer and the number of people in hot-joins (already laughably low for a huge scale game like GW2) gets lower.
    Last edited by nightshark; 2012-11-30 at 02:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    Eh, I don't think this really means anything. The guy who's in charge of looking after sPvP is going to be talking to a few top players. That's great, but what has been done in sPvP since release hasn't really changed anything. The only attempt to get more people to play sPvP was introducing daily/monthlys, and the rewards for those were crap. PvP salvage kits that cost a few glory... for the monthly? Seriously? I think it's the first time I've straight up trashed a reward item.

sPvP needs more modes (team deathmatch comes to mind) and a ranking system that doesn't throw skilled players in with pugs to get slaughtered. I hardly think the ANet sPvP lead needs to talk to the top players in the game to figure that out. sPvP is bleeding and dying, queue times for games get longer and the number of people in hot-joins (already laughably low for a huge scale game like GW2) gets lower.
    Well seeing as how skilled =/= high ranked that'd be difficult... i'm only rank 15 or so but i've butchered rank 30's in 1v1s over a capture point, so such rankings wouldn't save ALL the low rank people from being butchered...

And you do realize you get tourney tickets, a large amount of glory, a good amount of PvP experience and some gold chests too right? The monthly rewards were pretty good, although i wasn't that happy to get 5 PvP salvage kits because i don't have anywhere to put all of those!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Well seeing as how skilled =/= high ranked that'd be difficult... i'm only rank 15 or so but i've butchered rank 30's in 1v1s over a capture point, so such rankings wouldn't save ALL the low rank people from being butchered...

And you do realize you get tourney tickets, a large amount of glory, a good amount of PvP experience and some gold chests too right? The monthly rewards were pretty good, although i wasn't that happy to get 5 PvP salvage kits because i don't have anywhere to put all of those!!
    The current system isn't even really a ranking system (even though it's called rank). It's a crap linear progression and encourages team "point whoring", which actually causes teams to lose more often than not. Makes me want to rage quit games when I see my entire team standing on the beach waiting for it to cap and look over to see ONE guy from the other team neutralising the ruins.

tPvP ranking match up would need a new system. I don't think it would be difficult to put in a system to track this, even if they needed to start collecting the data now.
    Last edited by nightshark; 2012-11-30 at 03:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The current system isn't even really a ranking system (even though it's called rank). It's a crap linear progression and encourages team "point whoring", which actually causes teams to lose more often than not. Makes me want to rage quit games when I see my entire team standing on the beach waiting for it to cap and look over to see ONE guy from the other team neutralising the ruins.

tPvP ranking match up would need a new system. I don't think it would be difficult to put in a system to track this, even if they needed to start collecting the data now.
    I actually think tPvP is fine, sPvP makes me want to drop kick a baby into a blast furnace due to how stupid everyone seems to be in it... I mean the fact I can get Top Teammate revivals for rezzing one person, and I get top defender for killing one person on a point is ridiculous!!

And a lot of the really good teams moved into paid tourniquet makin the random tournie more pug/newbie friendly.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

They really need to put in a ladder system and observer mode. They sort of dropped the ball on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Which is frustrating because people have been asking and asking for those things since beta. =(
    And they keep answering and answering "We're working on it" people are just impatient lol

10+ Year Old Account
    How long before it stops just being "You're impatient"?
    i'd say february is when you can start saying, "Wtf Anet? You said we'd have an observer and ranking system!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    And they keep answering and answering "We're working on it" people are just impatient lol
    First and foremost it was "Release when it's ready". This is one the most basic things needed to push the game into the Esports category that was always talked about. They shouldn't have released the game without these IMO and I believe that it should have been priority next to bugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    First and foremost it was "Release when it's ready". This is one the most basic things needed to push the game into the Esports category that was always talked about. They shouldn't have released the game without these IMO and I believe that it should have been priority next to bugs.
    I personally think it's a good thing they released it when they did, people were getting pissy, and the game was ready (for the most part) and they don't get all the info they need when it's in beta etc etc to make it an Esport.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it kicks off with that big fat juicy prize money it will have been worth the wait.

Besides, this time gave them a chance to work out any bugs or imbalances and gave us time to learn the classes.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    When it kicks off with that big fat juicy prize money it will have been worth the wait.

Besides, this time gave them a chance to work out any bugs or imbalances and gave us time to learn the classes.
    Boom, you know how boring it would've been to watch back when everyone thought warriors and thieves were the only viable profs in the game? My god that would've been terrible...

10+ Year Old Account
    What juicy prize money? Gems? So once in a blue moon you'll win some gems? =D
    Actually, i'm pretty sure Anets big tournies (yearly?) have some prize money for the winner and second place, i could be mistaken though.... And the gems are for the paid tournies, which you need to play in order to get honor points, which will be used for the big tourney with the big juicey rewards. So essentially if you're a glorified bad ass in tPvP you'll get a bit of money, i'm pretty sure teh prize money will be made off of the failures of those who buy the tickets and lose a lot, the teams that are good wont really be losing much. if at all

Deleted
    To those who haven't watched it yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByqoWsnz-I

Seems like stuff will happen, just that it's taking a while(and too long).
    I don't like how they think around hotfixes, they got it all wrong in their priorities. Anyhow, they are aware that spvp is a dying community but when things are done they will try lure players back through marketing. I hope they return. I know I will check out the new features when it hits. Seems like december wont bring us more than balances... so it's just to enjoy christmas doing other things and hopefully january-february might be better. I do like that they promised one of them to be a pvp event patch.... will be interesting to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    To those who haven't watched it yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByqoWsnz-I

Seems like stuff will happen, just that it's taking a while(and too long).
    I don't like how they think around hotfixes, they got it all wrong in their priorities. Anyhow, they are aware that spvp is a dying community but when things are done they will try lure players back through marketing. I hope they return. I know I will check out the new features when it hits. Seems like december wont bring us more than balances... so it's just to enjoy christmas doing other things and hopefully january-february might be better. I do like that they promised one of them to be a pvp event patch.... will be interesting to see.
    Personally the reason -I- have grown to despise sPvP is because Pugging in it is just UGH, it's like doing random BGs in WoW, people zerg from point to point and it just makes me want to punch a baby with how frustrating it is trying to play with mindless players... and then i can't tPvP because i can't find a group of players wanting to do it without doing it 100% or making me swap servers (i mean cmon, why would i need to swap servers when pvp is cross realm?), but i feel these are just more my personal issues... psyched for if/when they finally make a spectator mode, would love to watch some of the high up teams, would be a lot more fun then trying to bang my head against the wall to make me forget the stupid i experienced in PUG sPvP...

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like december wont bring us more than balances...
    the ranking system looks like it will be in this month according to the call. and i personally like the way they have handled sPvP aside from leaving some bugs in too long. better to have sPvP now as it evolves than pining over it to be finally done so we can get to actually play it instead.

highlights for me are:

1. rankings
    2. spectator mode/private tourneys
    3. increased viable builds for professions
    4. expansion of options for glory
    5. profession balancing and bugs fixes this month

all in all the future for sPvP and WvW looks bright. now if only they would penalize people (either a debuff that prevents you from participating in games for a while or something more drastic to deter this practice) that leave sPvP games early or log-off in WvW: if you can't stand the heat don't bother queuing my friend!
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    now if only they would penalize people (either a debuff that prevents you from participating in games for a while or something more drastic to deter this practice) that leave sPvP games early or log-off in WvW: if you can't stand the heat don't bother queuing my friend!
    Yes, because you know.... everyone enjoys playing in the special olympics online, er i mean sPvP pugs, yeah, they're CLEARLY leaving because it's to hard and not because they've had enough dosage of mentally retarded for the week...

Now for tPvP i can understand because that gets fucking annoying when bobby the afking jack ass doesn't show up for 30 minutes into the match and when they -do- show up the other team has already 3 capped you and is proceeding to destroy your undermanned team...

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    now if only they would penalize people (either a debuff that prevents you from participating in games for a while or something more drastic to deter this practice) that leave sPvP games early or log-off in WvW: if you can't stand the heat don't bother queuing my friend!
    I agree hot join definitely needs some penalties for quitting mid game. Currently as soon as a team starts losing they all quit, members of the winning team get bumped to the losing team at random. Poor design. It's fine for games like CS where it makes zero difference if your team wins or loses, but in GW2 you suffer for getting autobalanced since you miss out on the bonus glory.

Have something similar to tPvP where you are essentially locked into the game once you start.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree hot join definitely needs some penalties for quitting mid game. Currently as soon as a team starts losing they all quit, members of the winning team get bumped to the losing team at random. Poor design. It's fine for games like CS where it makes zero difference if your team wins or loses, but in GW2 you suffer for getting autobalanced since you miss out on the bonus glory.

Have something similar to tPvP where you are essentially locked into the game once you start.
    False, it makes zero difference if you win or lose as long as you were auto balanced to a team, when you either volunteer to go, or are auto balanced to the losin team you will ALWAYS get the winning glory amount, so if people leave hot join there is no downside other than they don't get shit from that match.

False, it makes zero difference if you win or lose as long as you were auto balanced to a team, when you either volunteer to go, or are auto balanced to the losin team you will ALWAYS get the winning glory amount, so if people leave hot join there is no downside other than they don't get shit from that match.
    So you should always just volunteer since you have 100% chance of "winning" if you are balanced to another team? Then I can just whore out cap points and zerg the whole game for glory, resting assured in a win?